Sat, Sep 7, 7:47 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: OT - I shall ooze with computer knowledge!

MoonGoat ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2005 at 6:10 PM · edited Sat, 07 September 2024 at 7:46 AM

file_183670.jpg

I just signed up to take Advanced Computer Science next year in tenth grade. It seems I'll be learning something called Java ... They recommend I practice something called Python ...

I must be crazy; the most programing knowledge I've ever used has been to use the Tangent function on my calculator using some Basic command. Even still, it seems to amaze people. "Hey, I used Basic to find the tangent of this triangle!" and they all say "d00d !! u R an 37331 hAxOrz!!!"

So, for those of you who are programming geeks*, I shall likely be summoning your help from time to time.

*Only a true programming wizard will not resent being called a geek.

Message edited on: 02/10/2005 18:11

Redfeather ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2005 at 6:14 PM

LOL. Like'n the Pic (says everything I ever wanted to say about microcrock but could never find the words):P

draculaz ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2005 at 6:23 PM

lol... java though? i mean that's like saying you're going to discover america and ending up in zimbabwe. drac (not that there's anything wrong with zimbabwe. just java)

Nevanna ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2005 at 6:32 PM

Well, if you ever have any Java questions... :) I work as a developer. Nevanna

nevanna.blogspot.com

Slakker ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2005 at 6:32 PM

Yeah...lol Right now i'm taking a C++ course, and it's pretty cool...the instructor says we'll be learning Java in fourth quarter, but i'm thinking "Why take the step backwards?!?" C++ is so much more powerful than I think he realizes...almost EVERYTHING is coded in C++.

Nevanna ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2005 at 6:42 PM

Backwards?? lol!! What world do you guys live in?? And erm, no, not almost everything...

nevanna.blogspot.com

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2005 at 6:44 PM

I'm in my Mid 30's and know a bit of programming from Basic to C++.

artbyphil ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2005 at 6:58 PM

I'm impressed that theres so many "arty" people here who can programme as well. After HTML (which I had to do for my last job) its all a mystery to me. I pick up some sort of programing for beginers book and I'm totaly lost. (not enough pictures to keep me interested , just loads of strange numbers and code..

Vile ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2005 at 7:46 PM

We use Java at work but mostly Oracle (it runs the Internet lol), a little VB too. Course it really comes down to what you want to do with it. Of course when you get old and fat and have sausages for fingers then you can write in PERL. :D till then stick with Java or go play with C#.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2005 at 8:32 PM

10 print"hello" 20 goto 10 RUN HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO AHHHH THE C64 DAYS

xenic101 ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2005 at 8:53 PM

10 print "hello ";
20 goto 10

run

hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello
hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hell
o hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hel
lo hello hello hello hello hello hello hello he
llo hello hello hello hello hello hello hello h
ello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello
hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello

don't forget the C128! Twice the power!

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2005 at 9:04 PM

Dont make me pull out my Amiga 1000 and do hellos in 4096 colors ;)

FWTempest ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2005 at 9:21 PM

Old programmers never die... they just GOSUB without RETURN

erosiaart ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2005 at 9:28 PM

What's java? I thought that was coffee??? :P

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2005 at 9:36 PM

Also if you PEEK or POKE around other peoples source code you can get programming ideas.

MoonGoat ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2005 at 10:16 PM

My mom used to program for IBM. Used somethin called COBOL ...

DragonCB ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2005 at 11:51 PM · edited Thu, 10 February 2005 at 11:56 PM

New programmers evil grin

I always need a new programming assistant to help me get this program running on the SGI UNIX supercomputer.

MoonGoat,
Good luck in your Java course.

-Chris

Message edited on: 02/10/2005 23:56

Gog ( ) posted Fri, 11 February 2005 at 3:33 AM

Good grief I learnt COBOL and FORTH in my early days - alongside Z80 and 6502 assembler, now it's PERL, C++ and C# (the c# is the current learning - wasn't through choice would have preferred not to be doing that one) Good luck with Java, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Fri, 11 February 2005 at 3:50 AM

Have fun, my head hurts already.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Fri, 11 February 2005 at 4:36 AM

Cobol, Pascal, VB, Basic here & in the very near future I'll be teaching myself HTML, I have the books just need to find the time.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

pauljs75 ( ) posted Fri, 11 February 2005 at 2:00 PM

Peek? Poke? I haven't seen that much since I last played with AtariBasic. Heheh... BTW, MaxMem has come in handy Analog-X. (If you happen to be the programmer from the website by the same name. Keeps some proggies with memory leaks from crashing stuff. cough Poser cough)

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Fri, 11 February 2005 at 3:10 PM

Nope I'm a different Analog-X from the C64 / Amiga days.

Ardiva ( ) posted Fri, 11 February 2005 at 7:10 PM

tr kewl!! :o))

pauljs75 ( ) posted Fri, 11 February 2005 at 8:54 PM

Ahh... The Amiga... Photon paint... Where you had 4096 colors, but every time you painted certain colors next to each other it would produce annoying pixels of unwanted color that had to be tweaked until the color showed up correctly. LOL! (At least that's how it behaved on the 500 w/ Workbench 1.3. .HAM files never did behave right for me. .IFF always worked ok though.)

Barbequed Pixels?

jasonmit ( ) posted Sat, 12 February 2005 at 1:12 AM

I learned BASIC on a TI-99/4A and Pascal on an IBM XT.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 12 February 2005 at 9:31 AM

Deluxe Paint on the Amiga and later on PC was one of my Favourite tools. I loved doing fonts/logos etc.. at the Pixel Level. It was time consuming but the end result was nice. Sach did a lot of great stuff on the C64 / Amiga he now does the Cool 3D Fish Screen Savers.

pauljs75 ( ) posted Sat, 12 February 2005 at 10:37 AM

I think I recall a Porshe 911 picture with that name on it that I got via a local Amiga users group back then. (At the time I didn't even have a modem, let alone internet access.)

Barbequed Pixels?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.