Wed, Sep 18, 10:42 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Why ?

2be ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 4:02 AM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 1:02 AM

As I live in a european small country, and I use Poser as a hobbie I would like to Know Why do people in the USA Japan and other big countries, buy so much stuff of Poser characters , hair objects, props etc ? Where , When and Why they use what they buy ? Is there kind people who can explain me me that ? Thank you all and a creative day to the comunity

Francemi ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 4:35 AM

Hello 2be, There are as many reasons as there are users, I guess. I don't do much with all the stuff I buy but when I see something I like and I can afford it, I buy it. I might use it someday. ;o) France

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 6:31 AM

We don't all buy stuff for the same reasons. Some of us are professionals, who can write it off on their taxes. Some of us are hobbyists; new Poser stuff is like entertainment, like other people might buy a book or video game or movie ticket. Some of us are "prosumers" - very serious hobbyists, who may do some paid work, or hope to.

I suspect another big factor is that we're part of our consumer societies. We have a lot of money to spend (compared to most of the world), and we sometimes spend it on things we don't need. Because it's on sale, because it looks really cool, because we might need it some day. I confess, I have things in my runtime which I have never used, and this is probably true of a lot of us.

Butch ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 7:24 AM

I don't buy a lot of stuff, just the stuff I think that I might need for a project that I am working or something that might suggest a project to me. I have to be careful, because I am on a very limited budget and can't afford to buy all the neat things at once. I don't think this site could afford the bandwidth if I bought everything that I wanted at one time!

Gareee ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 7:45 AM

I like to create 3d renders for my desktop, and as a hobby. While I could model and rig a character in lightwave, one character might take me months to complete. I can buy a poser character I like, and render him/her that same day. I also collect action figures, so this is kind of a digital extension of that hobby...

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

2be ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 8:08 AM

Now I Know that there is no industry or what else where renders are used. The merchants , in the case the buyers , use the products for hobby as I am understanding. I am surprised about this commerce , just for hobby I will look up to this site with other eyes For the moment I must tnak you all that read my message and a big hug to those who wore so kind posting your answers ....

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 8:14 AM · edited Wed, 16 February 2005 at 8:17 AM

Why do people in the buy so much stuff of Poser [stuff]?

I buy what I intend to use. Unfortunately I dont always use everything I buy. I buy them because I am not able to make them.

Where , When and Why they use what they buy ?

I post my images here as often as I make them.
I enjoy creating images. Some people enjoy painting, some enjoy motorcycle riding, some enjoy getting drunk, and some enjoy video games. All these things require some spending of money.

Being well employed, single with no children, dont smoke or drink and live in an apartment that is technically below affordable for my income level allows me a good deal of disposable income. So I dispose of it on my hobby. Poser.

Message edited on: 02/16/2005 08:17

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

ratscloset ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 8:20 AM

I use Poser for Story Board Images for commercials and mock-ups of Stock Ads. I am also working with Animation for my own interest. I would prefer to make everything I use (more money for me!), but I do not have the skill or the time and presentation is important when trying to sell a client a concept for a commercial or a series of ads. Most of my work is for what I like to call my Patron (His payments fund my future work!), who is in Marketing. Personally I have done few sell pieces of my own creation. I just create more visual presentation for a Marketing Professional. As I get better at Animation, his hope is to do full animated Story Boards with pacing and Camera Positions. Do I spend too much? Oh, sure!

ratscloset
aka John

Tashar59 ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 8:32 AM · edited Wed, 16 February 2005 at 8:37 AM

It's been a hobby for me until lately. The last bit of stuff I've bought has been for a couple of posters for some companies. That helped to pay for my Poser habit.

It is easier to buy something and make it work with what you need, than model from begining.

Also, I'm a texture freak. If I see a texture I like, I just buy it. Never know when I might need it. Until my own turn out right, I am getting close. LOL.

Message edited on: 02/16/2005 08:34 You wouldn't know my first language is english with all the edits. Need more coffee.

Message edited on: 02/16/2005 08:37

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 8:43 AM

Now I Know that there is no industry or what else where renders are used.

Not true. People are paid for images created with Poser. Heck, I see Poser animations all the time on the Discovery Channel (for medical or forensic shows, usually). People also use Poser to make graphics for games, covers for books, Web graphics, tubes, illustrations, etc.

Poser is mostly a hobby for me, but I have been paid for my work.

Mec4D ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 9:14 AM

Usually I go to buy stuff when I need something for my commercial project and don't have the time to do this or just can't do this. I use most of the stuff for commercial work, that Poser is my BIG hobby for years that is another story, if you do what you love you will never work again :)) God Bless Larry Weinberg! lol

"Surrender to what it is - Let go of what was - Have faith in what will be "

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 9:22 AM

..because the base characters come with no clothes, hair, etc..;) You can get hundreds of free Poser addons, right here in our Freestuff section, and also on the Web. I guess it's the same reason folks buy so many real clothes IRL, because you want variety.
As for where, look in the 'top 15' section on the right. It's actually more like top 1,500. Some links are dead, but a lot are not. Go there, look through their links, and just surf around. A search in Google on 'Victoria' and 'Poser' should bring up a gazillion.
You can have a lot of fun with the free stuff, so don't worry..go at your own pace..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

SeanMartin ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 12:01 PM

because the base characters come with no clothes, hair, etc..;) The software's base characters do. The somewhat overpriced, third-party ones dont.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 12:34 PM

I buy Poser stuff because I enjoy doing it.

Next question........?

It's a hobby. A hobby that keeps my interest level up. I don't make a dime with the program -- but who cares? It's fun.

As for "buying stuff that we don't need" -- technically: food, shelter and clothing are about all that anyone "needs". Simply to exist, that is.

Personally, I'd rather do more than just exist. A mule can do the same.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

elizabyte ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 6:00 PM

Now I Know that there is no industry or what else where renders are used. I may be misunderstanding you, but let me assure you that there definitely are commercial uses for renders made with various kinds of Poser content. ;-) As for spending a lot of money on a hobby, well, I know lots of hobbyists who spend a lot of money on their own interest. My mother in law makes cross-stitch and does needlepoint and other crafts and she spends a great deal of money on that hobby. I've also know people who painted as a hobby, have you ever priced canvases and oil paints and brushes? Model railways can be extremely expensive, as can model radio-controlled planes. Just about any hobby can be costly, it just depends on what it is and how much you're willing to spend on it. bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

pdxjims ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2005 at 8:24 AM

Poser has been used in a number of commercial applications. Everything from film to t.v. to print advertising to web business. Anywhere you find an image, either static or motion, in the business world, you can find Poser being used in one way or another. There is more content available for Poser use than just about any other 3D package. Poser content is cheap compared to other content. Poser content can be used in many other applications. Becuase of the flexability and low price of both the program and available content, it also has a large hobbiest market. Why do we buy content? Why not? Most of it is very good quality. Purchasing content is a lot easier than making it from scratch. Making content can be time consuming and therefor isn't cost effective for people working on a project, commercial or hobby. As for spending lots of money on a hobby... well... I work occassionally for a man who resells old vinyl records (12" and 45's). Collectors are willing to pay up to thousands of dollars for old records. Not to listen to them, but just to have them in their collection. At lease Poser enthusiasts tend to actually use our purchases rather then put them on a shelf to say they have them.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.