Sun, Sep 22, 12:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Ideas?

Nazgul ( ) posted Tue, 09 January 2001 at 2:03 PM · edited Thu, 08 August 2024 at 3:05 AM

file_141276.jpg

Here's my first 'u-boat' pic done in Carrara - problem is with the water - anyone have any suggestions to make it look more realistic - right now I have a terrain mesh with a bump map and a mix of elevation for the tips - but it still isn't coming out 'right' thanks. LONG LIVE CARRARA! I think they should rename the app to "PHOENIX" - right from the ashes! Hope the anouncement tomorrow is a good one.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Tue, 09 January 2001 at 2:47 PM

Attached Link: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/5391/oceantutorial.html

Looks good!! A couple things to look for: 1. Make sure that the color of the 'below horizon' is a blue-green selection instead of the standard gray. 2. Check out the link above for an EXCELLENT water tutorial. Mark

AzChip ( ) posted Tue, 09 January 2001 at 2:50 PM

Looks great! I love the models. And you're right, the water looks odd. Maybe it needs a bit more reflectivity? And I think the base color of the shader needs to have some blue in it?

litst ( ) posted Tue, 09 January 2001 at 3:43 PM

Good pic ! You could play with the levels of the greyscale terrain map to make sharper waves, though . Good luck ! litst

ClintH ( ) posted Tue, 09 January 2001 at 5:19 PM

Wow - Looking great. Keep us updated on its progress. Clint

Clint Hawkins
MarketPlace Manager/Copyright Agent

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

TRAVISB ( ) posted Tue, 09 January 2001 at 7:27 PM

cool pic have you tried to bounce some differnt color light off th water increase refledtion

graylensman ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2001 at 9:37 AM

Awesome U-Boat. My comments, same as above: your wave colors don't look right. Perhaps even a touch of whitecaps, as it looks like a rough North Atlantic sea in wintertime.

Nazgul ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2001 at 10:08 AM

Thanks folks! First, I have to say that I'm happy :) FINALLY - Carrara has a future! I will continue work on the water - that tutorial that Mark pointed me to is very good. Now all I have to work on is the shading.

Nazgul ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2001 at 11:28 AM

Well- let me take that back Mark - the tutorial is difficult to understand - and I think there is a step left out? - If anyone can try to follow the tutorial - be my guest - I'm still trying to figure it out....

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2001 at 11:58 AM

Which step are you having an issue with? Mark

Nazgul ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2001 at 1:20 PM

Well - the instructions after this point are a bit criptic .... I think there is some layering involved in making the final pattern but it doesn't say. 4. Convert it to the pattern. Filter/Other/Offset, enter scroll value (WHAT VALUE??), check Wrap Around, OK, draw more circles to eliminate the border (WHAT DOES THIS MEAN). Select All, Edit/Define Pattern. 5. Make other images filled with more compressed pattern. Create new 1024x1024 grayscale, Edit/Fill with Pattern. Image/Image Size, set Width and Height to 50%, OK. Select All, Edit/Define Pattern. Do same process again for 4 times compressed pattern.Save them as a PICT/BMP file individually.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2001 at 1:28 PM

My apologies if I'm insulting your intellegence or experience with the following stuff. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Photoshop or Photoshops more obscure filter functions that the instructions reference but the tutorial revolves around Photoshop. Essentially, the author is speaking about creating 3 different grayscale/terrain maps using the original image that is created for the close-ups. The offsetting, scaling and pattern notes are simply to accelerate the creation of the following two grayscale images to be used as terrain maps. The 'orbs' with the greater density create an illusion of waves farther away when aligned as shown in the Tutorial. The offsetting provides seamless pattern creation which is then 'tiled' on subsequent 1024x1024 pictures at a reduced scale for the denser waves. I don't know if this helps :( The tutorial worked for me though. Good luck! Mark

Nazgul ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2001 at 2:50 PM

file_141279.jpg

Hmmm, I'm pretty familiar with Photoshop - but maybe not as familiar as I need to be? How does the tutorial get to this point - it says layers?

Nazgul ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2001 at 2:51 PM

Maybe you could post your end product image map so I can get a better idea of how this is supposed to look?

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2001 at 3:10 PM

My image looks similar to the one labeled "image" above. The layers are just that: background + Layer 1 + Layer 2 to create the composite image in a single photoshop file. You can mess around with the opacity and blending modes until you creat a satisfactory composite image. Save the composite image; it will be used for the terrain map closest to the camera. The next step is to create a pattern tile from the composite image, reduce it and then fill a new 1024x1024 canvas with it for the second terrain map. Finally, repeat the reduced pattern process yet again to create an image for the third terrain map. The final Carrara file will use the first terrain map (shown as image above) as the terrain close to the camera. Terrain maps 2 and 3 are placed, stepped and repeated as shown in the tutorial for the water in the distance. I think this is one of those things that once it 'clicks' you kind of go "well duh!" At least it was for me. Mark

Nazgul ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2001 at 7:40 AM

Well, duh! Sorry about the need for the long explanation :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.