Mon, Sep 9, 4:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: I haven't seen this question asked yet...

BillyGoat ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2001 at 11:25 AM · edited Mon, 29 July 2024 at 7:08 PM

I've had poser for 2 months and have been totally engrossed in P4NW, P4NM, Vick and Mike. In checking out the other libraries, I'm wondering what you all use the P4 Low and P2 Hi & Low for? To streamline Poser, I'd like to delete them - I can't think of any reason i'd ever use them. I didn't render any of them, but as they are they are awful! Can anyone explain their use to me? I've learned enough from all of you to know that I don't know jack about poser...

JeffH ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2001 at 11:33 AM

Crowd scenes and background figures. The lo-res figures save memory for something like this.

Dmentia ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2001 at 11:34 AM

I haven't really used them either, but I don't tend to do alot of elaborate scenes...I'm told they make excellent back ground characters because thier poly count is much lower than the newer figures...they'd probablly make good store window maniquins(sp?) too...They should be great for feeding to dragons and lions and tigers and bears hehe where the focus is not so much on the human as the beast...ie they have thier uses but it totally depends on the artist as to wether or not to hang on to them...

Mason ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2001 at 12:14 PM

I use them for background figures, crowd scenes etc.. I had one comic where I need like 10 army soldiers running around. Just making the shirts and pants green, slapping on a barrette and putting an ak47 on their backs allowed me to place dozens around a scene with very little mem usage. Also good for store manequins.

shadownet ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2001 at 1:47 PM

file_141349.gif

There use is as normally stated, however, I did find a use for them in this pic I had posted sometime back and will eventually repost again to the gallery. The figures are the low res poser 2 male with the muscelman textures the rest is lighting and Rena's fire prop. Everything was done in Poser with no post touchup.

BillyGoat ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2001 at 1:53 PM

If I delete the folders and store them, can I just slip them back in at another time, or will it lead to problems? I do indeed see the use for them now, and I thank you for explaining why to me.

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2001 at 2:05 PM

Only by reinstalling the program, IIRC - and, I think one of the standard figures acutally uses the OBJ of one of the lo-res ones. Search the archives; I believe somebody discovered this the "hard way"...

JeffH ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2001 at 2:39 PM

You'd save more space by deleting the robots and their geometry than removing the lo figures. The geometry rsr alone for one the bots is almost 10MBs.

shadownet ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2001 at 2:39 PM

You can remove the library folders without any problems and this will save you about 6.8mb of space. Not sure on the geometries for these and Charles may very well be right. If you do remove the geometry folders that go with the figures you will certainly clear up a lot more space, and as far as I know the P3/P4 figures have their own geometry obj files. I have removed, renamed, and otherwise altered and rearranged the library files to suit me and have never had a problem there but I normally leave the geometry files alone. Also, from what I can tell from having messed around and moved stuff about in Poser, all that is really needed to open and run Poser are the run files in the root directory - now with out the stuff in the runtime folders you will get error messages and promps, but Poser will load albiet without lights, camera, etc. presets or figures. With textures you can normally tell Poser where to look for them if you move their location. As for the obj geometry files, when Poser can not find one it wants or the rsr file for the obj has gotten corrupted, Poser will give an error message, such and such obj not found, and sometimes follow that up with an out of memory error message. The obj files have to be at the exact location as cited in the CR2 file for Poser to find them. The Cr2 file for the figures can be opened in a text editor to see which obj files are called and there location. It would take some digging but you could probably go through and clean stuff off and not have problems running Poser when you were done. Also if you remove the files to a backup media you can alway restore them back to their original location without having to do a re-install of Poser. So, what I would do is move (not delete) the files/folders I wanted to get rid off from the Poser 4 folder, and I would store those files/folders elsewhere, atleastfor the time being, as a backup. In the event there is a problem and it turns out you removed a file that Poser need, you can put the file back to its orginal location and Poser will be happy again.

shadownet ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2001 at 2:47 PM

Oh, one other thing. Keep in mind that if you remove, say the robot figures and geometry folders and someone makes a new figure based on the geometry files you removed - ie: a terminator figure out of the robot figure - you will not be able to use that figure until you restore the geometry files for the robot figure it was based on. So keep that in mind as well, and backup the files to someplace else rather than deleting them if possible.

BillyGoat ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2001 at 11:52 AM

thanks

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.