Thu, Sep 19, 3:08 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 2:39 pm)

Subject: How to adjust width of P4 libraries?

Booker5 ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2005 at 9:24 PM · edited Mon, 02 September 2024 at 12:11 AM

Can someone tell me if it is possible to adjust the width of the space that the P4 library bar uses to display the folder names for poses and characters etc? I would like to make it wider so that I can see longer folder names. Many thanks in advance!

zippyozzy ( ) posted Thu, 24 February 2005 at 10:44 PM

I'm a P4 user. I'm not sure that you can make it wider unless there's a setting for it in pref's. What I try to do with my library is rename the folders so they're shorter. The only problem is that you can't rename geom folders or texture folders but the rest you should be able to without messing it up. I seem to be able to read the folder name if they're long, what happens? Are they getting cut off?

EnglishBob ( ) posted Fri, 25 February 2005 at 3:52 AM · edited Fri, 25 February 2005 at 3:54 AM

The library bar can't be widened; nor can the font be changed, to answer another possible question... :( If your library folder names are getting cut off, it means you have too many of them. The absolute limit for Poser 4 is 256, but it usually starts running out of space to store them before that figure is reached.

Message edited on: 02/25/2005 03:54

Booker5 ( ) posted Fri, 25 February 2005 at 9:02 AM

Thanks for the replies! Up until now I have been renaming the folders to shorter names but I got to wondering if there was an easier way. Yes if I have: Biglongfoldername I am seeing something like: Biglongfold and the the rest is truncated. EnglishBob can I just make sure I'm understanding you correctly? The number of folders in for example the pose folder might be affecting the length of the folder name being displayed? Thats really interesting. Scary, but interesting!

EnglishBob ( ) posted Fri, 25 February 2005 at 9:13 AM

"The number of folders in for example the pose folder might be affecting the length of the folder name being displayed?" Yes, exactly right. It seems (and I'm going from others' experiences here) that Poser 4 has two limits on the number of sub-folders you can have in any library. The hard 256 limit, first of all; and secondly, a fixed amount of storage which holds all the folder names. So far as I know, nobody has gone to all the trouble of counting up the characters to see what this limit is. :) There are a variety of answers to this, not counting 'upgrade to Poser 5'. :) You can simply move stuff you aren't using somewhere else, then move it back as and when you need it. Pbooost (in the Marketplace) does this for you, by allowing you to set up 'banks' which you can switch between. Pose files, especially MAT poses are often the biggest culprit; MAT poses hadn't been invented when P4 came out, which is why it has no way of saving them. You can move poses to your camera library, which is usually relatively empty, and change the PZ2 extension to CM2; they'll still work. I use a combination of methods 1 and 3.

Booker5 ( ) posted Fri, 25 February 2005 at 12:42 PM

"The hard 256 limit, first of all; and secondly, a fixed amount of storage which holds all the folder names. So far as I know, nobody has gone to all the trouble of counting up the characters to see what this limit is. :)" Thanks for explaining this for me! I have had problems with the 256 limit but the fixed amount of storage would never have crossed my mind as the problem. I wonder how it is coded that it works this way? I've been doing solution 1 to some degree but will try solution 3 which I didn't know about. I am considering upgrading to either P5 or P6 but am hesitating as one of my machines that I use a lot is kind of marginal even for P4 and I don't really want to run two different versions on two different machines. Thanks again for your help! Thanks to you too zippyozzy!

zippyozzy ( ) posted Fri, 25 February 2005 at 6:35 PM

welp, hope you got it sorted? I simply rename mine. My pose folder and my character folder fillup with all the crap. I just rename them so I know what the heck they are. V3 & M3 fillup my spaces quickly I'm waitint to see if I can upgrade to P6 myself. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.