Thu, Sep 19, 3:13 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 2:39 pm)

Subject: Decent providers of free webspace?

JohnRickardJR ( ) posted Mon, 07 March 2005 at 2:45 PM ยท edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 3:10 PM

Attached Link: http://www.rickard.karoo.net

Can anyone recommend a good supplier of free webspace? I'm putting together a site to contain my freebies, some small tutorials (Material room and Python mostly), and thought I'd found a decent place for it, but some less than ethical looking adverts have appeared around it. I'd rather not add yet another site to Geocities - it's already confusing enough over there for me - two for work and one campaigning site, and the space my ISP provides is being used (see the link). So, any suggestions?

geep ( ) posted Mon, 07 March 2005 at 5:26 PM

Do you know? ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 07 March 2005 at 5:34 PM

I don't think there is such a thing as good free webspace any more. They all have have "issues," especially with the high bandwidth Poser freebies consume. I would consider housing your freebies with someone who pays for Web hosting. Planit3D, or one of the others who offer web space for Poser freebies.

zippyozzy ( ) posted Mon, 07 March 2005 at 11:50 PM

Tripod UK is good, they at least give you a free php database bu sometimes the ads drive you nuts other than that, they don't have too much restrictions on bandwidth like the regular tripod does.

videodv ( ) posted Mon, 07 March 2005 at 11:50 PM

Attached Link: freeola

If your in the uk check out the link I have been with them for over 4 years and never had a problem. Hope this helps. videodv.

JohnRickardJR ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 2:19 AM

Attached Link: http://members.lycos.co.uk/castleposer/

Had a look at Freeola, but they require you to sign up for a dialup account first, and I am in Hull with our own phone company, so most ISPs don't work. Also, since I went broadband I unplugged my dialup Modem, to eliminate any risk from rogue diallers. So, I've gone for Tripod for the moment, and here is the link. Still early days - four tutorials listed, another couple ready to link in, and quite a list to add.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 7:39 AM
Online Now!

I've never heard of any free web hosts that don't clutter your pages with their ads. And even though a lot of them have you select categories so that the ads they place fall in conjunction with your free site's content, the ads still never really stay in the same genre. I'd rather pay the minimal fees each month to get a lot more space and NO pop-ups or banners, than to deal with pop-ups and banners. E.D.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 4:17 PM

Me, too. Free web hosts also block remote linking (so you only see their ad, instead of a pic of the item in free stuff, and you can't link directly to the zip file). They also tend to have very restrictive bandwidth limits. If you have a typical low-traffic personal site, you'll be fine, but with Poser freebies, you'll quickly run up against the limit.

JohnRickardJR ( ) posted Tue, 08 March 2005 at 7:02 PM

Having looked at them, Tripod UK have no bandwidth limit, and I can use my ISP webspace for the thumbnails without endangering my main website (see first post). I've put in place a general rule that any paid for webspace must be financially self-supporting, and as I have no plans to make money from Poser, I guess that rules commerical space out for any Poser site. I will have to redesign the page layout to appear below the Tripod adverts, but I can live with that, and they do disappear fairly quickly.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.