Thu, Sep 19, 4:12 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Is this taking on too much?

Michelle A. ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 6:09 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 4:08 PM

file_200452.jpg

This is an image of my grandmother taken when she was 17 in 1943. This photograph means a lot to me because it was my grandfathers favorite image of her..... he kept it by his bedside (he was ill and invalid for a # of years) until the day he died in 1981 at the age of 63. It is the only thing I have that belonged to him, and knowing that it was special for him raises the sentimal value of this image incredibly..... As you can see it's starting to look pretty bad..... I've had it in a keepsake book for the last 24 years and in going through some old things found it. I would like to restore this and makes prints to share with other family members that I know would appreciate it, but it looks fairly bad..... Usually what I do is clone out defects, etc..... but this is the worst image I've ever come across and to be honest I have no idea where to begin..... There is no area that isn't crackeled..... Ideas? Tips?

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

Michelle A. ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 6:10 PM

file_200453.jpg

A crop of the image at 100%...... to show the extent of damage.

--- michelleamarante.com

TomDart ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 7:29 PM

MIchelle, this is so crackled I thought at first it was a new image given a crackle plugin treatment! What would I do? I am not very good at this stuff but do know too much correction will only result in a nice image which has "lost the flavor" of age. My advice first would be to try and layer it, segregating the fine points like the eyes and perhaps a median filter on the rest..then put together adjusting opacity. Cloning might look rather smeared or leave trails done on an almost pixel level. I might download and try. Then, I will likely give up on this advice and find a better way to balance the age with the overall appearance. Wow, what a challenge! You folks are better than I have reached in this sort of work. Maybe you will get some good advice. Tom.

Misha883 ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 7:48 PM

file_200455.jpg

I think you can do it, Michelle. It will need patience. It is not really that far gone. The one we did for Pat a while ago was much more damaged.

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 8:19 PM

Patience is the key word here indeed! I would do it using the fade in clone tool, spot by spot! Don't see any other ways!

DJB ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 8:27 PM

Have you tried to set it up with some good lighting and taking a photo of it. You can lose some of the crackles that way, then have a go from there.You can always use the scan for a colour dropper.If you intend to keep it with the colour. I did this with a family portrait once and was not too bad. That was like 3 computers ago so I don't have it to show.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 8:42 PM

file_200457.jpg

I gave it a try on a small portion of the image! It takes ages!

gradient ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 8:46 PM

I agree with misha883...it CAN be done. I have done a few like this and am currently working on one with a major crack right through the face...it will require a rebuild of the nose...and...to be honest I'm still not sure how it will end up. The only problem is that it IS very time consuming...Patience is the key!...I have spent up to 30 hours+ on an image. That is why I only do them as gifts for relatives as one cannot afford to pay for the time involved. dBgrafix has a very good point as the lighting from the scanner can actually enhance the cracks/scratches...I have also heard that this can be minimized somewhat by taking a photo with proper light...although I have not tried this myself ...yet! I can say that the satisfaction will come when you see the face of that loved one when they see the final product...it makes the time spent all worth it! Good Luck!

In youth, we learn....with age, we understand.

Michelle A. ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 9:04 PM

Wow! Pascale amazing! Misha, looks good! I'm playing with it right now.... using PS Healing brush to work through the major cracks and it seems to be doing a good job of it.... this is definitely going to take some time.... I will see what I can do with a camera..... as it does make sense that the cracks would be more emphasized in the scanning process..... as far as proper lighting???? Hmmmm..... not sure how to handle that part.... I may end up just plodding through this one pixel at a time..... Misha, Pascale, how did you get your results?

--- michelleamarante.com

zhounder ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 9:29 PM

To shoot this you have to have soft clean white light with a long exposure. Tak the time to st up the tripod and your 105mm macro. Fill the fram as completly as possible, but don't crop the image at all. Keep the entire photo in the shot. At lease duel lights would be a good start. Watch for glare and reflections off the print. Even a good even 10watt bulb on each side of the camera will do well. The lower the watage the longer the exposure as you well know. Remember to keep the photo flush with the lens. You want the photo and the lens at exactly the same angle so you can get an even transfer. Another options is we do what we did for Pat, Upload a high rez scan to my site and let everyone give it a go. I have confidence you can do it, its just a matter of how long you have to spend on it. Sounds like this is something you would be willign to spend a lot of time on too. Magick Michael

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 9:36 PM

I used the fade in clone tool of my programme Michelle! (photoimpactXL) and zoomed on a spot and started removing the cracks! I did it quickly so it's not perfect but if u do it on an even bigger scale u can have a fantastic result! It will take a looooooooooooong time but it will worth it!

Misha883 ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 9:42 PM

hmm... not an expert at this. But there are some links published in past threads. I think, like Tom said, don't try to make it too perfect. You are working at the pixel level, so can change anything you'd like. I'd work with as high a resolution scan as you can. Make a mask using "find edges", adjust levels, Gaussian blur. Much of the personality is captured in the eyes, so even with crinkles I would not change too much. Also, for grins, make portrait of self. Combine with cracks. Beautiful.

zhounder ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 9:47 PM

Attached Link: http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/photo_world/kumon_dsc2/kd208_e.htm

Try this link Michelle and go down to section 8.2.3

ReBorneUK ( ) posted Tue, 15 March 2005 at 1:53 AM

I did one for a friend a while back in a similar condition Chelle. Yes, it takes time, but the self-satisfaction when it's complete is massive. Plus, Rome wasn't built in a day y'know ;-) (",)

DJB ( ) posted Tue, 15 March 2005 at 2:59 AM

file_200459.jpg

I had to give it a try.Hope not minded

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

cynlee ( ) posted Tue, 15 March 2005 at 11:25 AM

wow... amazed to see the progression... more patience then i have... good luck 'chelle! :]

Sylvaine ( ) posted Tue, 15 March 2005 at 2:17 PM

I'm so afraid with my english that I have to be in relation with my own Gd Mother answer....and she told me that if she were a men she will marry her....But my grand father is not agree...My god (that still exist in trees) what a wonderful serie...Hugs and Love from many genetations "that are talking too less" Emotion

Sylvaine ( ) posted Tue, 15 March 2005 at 2:51 PM

file_200460.jpg

But she does take too much place on my balcony...she might be just younger...Hugs

Michelle A. ( ) posted Tue, 15 March 2005 at 2:56 PM

You reminded me Sylvaine, that I need to go visit her..... I've been a bad granddaughter...... :~(

--- michelleamarante.com

ReBorneUK ( ) posted Tue, 15 March 2005 at 3:00 PM

pssst... 'Chelle..... this ickle Wolf is always welcoming to bad girls who visit Grandma...... slobber (",)

Sylvaine ( ) posted Tue, 15 March 2005 at 3:02 PM

She does'nt take what I meant....shit my english again...and you can see the generation conflict....I wanna post anymore I make too many mistake....SORRRRRRRRRRRY Amarante

Michelle A. ( ) posted Tue, 15 March 2005 at 3:04 PM

Ahhh.... Sylvaine don't worry!!! HuGs!!! Seeing her picture on your balcony reminded me that I need to visit her... that's all..... :~))

--- michelleamarante.com

Sylvaine ( ) posted Tue, 15 March 2005 at 3:08 PM

Stay bad...I will adopt you and "ReBorn" (:-

Sylvaine ( ) posted Tue, 15 March 2005 at 3:12 PM

file_200463.jpg

But she really take A Good shot of your Gd Ma.....

Nilla ( ) posted Tue, 15 March 2005 at 5:50 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=2015225

Michelle, Please refer to the link. These images I had were very much like this one, the finish was badly cracked, except mine were badly faded as well. Some excellent advice was given, maybe you could benefit from reading this? Brenda :)

logiloglu ( ) posted Tue, 15 March 2005 at 8:16 PM

file_200464.jpg

i had a try,too. this really is hard stuff to do. i am not happy with my work. unfortunality i havent much time this days.maybe i will try it again.

all the best to you and the others here !

gerhard

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Tue, 15 March 2005 at 8:38 PM

I think it looks awesome Gerhard!! How did u do it??

Azraelll ( ) posted Tue, 29 March 2005 at 5:15 PM

file_200466.jpg

Little late i guess.:( I used NeatImage though. It pretty much did the job on the cracks, save for the large ones. Then i took into PS an got the large cracks under her right eye and in her hair bun with clone tool. Just a quicky. It would be much better if i spent alot of time on it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.