Wed, Sep 18, 5:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: Vue 5 instability, any ideas?

gerberc ( ) posted Wed, 16 March 2005 at 1:45 PM · edited Thu, 22 August 2024 at 12:48 AM

My system is a 3.6 GHz Intel P4 with 1 GB DIMM and an ATI Radeon 9600 running under Win XP Home with SP2. I have Vue 5 and the latest update from e-on installed. When I open Vue 5 everything works perfect. After a few hours of adding and moving stuff, Vue gives me a low memory warning. The bigger the scene gets, the faster the low memory warning shows up. While this seems logic I can't understand why I get this warning with scene files of only a few MB. I couldn't add any more stuff at a scene file size of only 95 MB and approx. 7'500'000 polygons in my latest image and I think there should be plenty of free memory with 1 GB physical memory! Turning of background drawing improves the situation although my ATI Radeon 9600 is definitely on the compatible graphics card list. Will buying more memory help? Any hints appreciated! Regards, Christoph

wabe ( ) posted Wed, 16 March 2005 at 2:02 PM

I think there still is a memory issue that is reported several times already. We all wait for E-on to fix that. Infinite does not seem to have that, Thank goodness!

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

gerberc ( ) posted Wed, 16 March 2005 at 2:28 PM · edited Wed, 16 March 2005 at 2:28 PM

Thank you! I realized that Vue 5.05 is in beta stage since weeks, seems it doesn't fix the problem yet.

Message edited on: 03/16/2005 14:28

aeilkema ( ) posted Wed, 16 March 2005 at 4:35 PM

Buying more memory will only help a little, most people with 2gig experience the same problems still. Imo there's a huge error in the memory usage of Vue 5. With Vue 4 creating a 40 million poly scene with 30 or more poser people in it wasn't a problem at all on 512Mb machine. Now I cannot get past 25 poser people and 6 or 7 million polys in a scene, Vue will crash. I'm even using 1Gb now, but Vue seems to not be able to break through a limit....

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

nanotyrannus ( ) posted Wed, 16 March 2005 at 5:18 PM

I suspect that this has more to do with scenes with lots of poser figures, not a high poly count. My last post contains 106 million poly's, and I never had a single crash or problem with it. I have some former poser models that I'd saved over to vob format but they were not high poly at all (or high res texture), and this is all with a 512mb RAM laptop. Just thought I'd chime in with that since I really do believe that there are memory issues still with Vue, but more and more I'm convinced it has to do with the source of the poly counts not necessarily how many there are.

lingrif ( ) posted Wed, 16 March 2005 at 6:16 PM

Part of the problem is that Vue5 has problems releasing memory when you make changes. There is an undo function that holds things in memory in case you want to bring back a deletion or whatever. They are working to improve that. The latest update 275615 speaks to memory issues. Best thing is save often and it wouldn't hurt to close Vue and reopen once and a while. It's a pain, but at least it reclaims memory.

www.lingriffin.com

dburdick ( ) posted Wed, 16 March 2005 at 10:38 PM

Sounds like a memory leak problem. You can check this by bringing up your Windows Tak Manager (cntl-alt-del) and looking at the processes tab. Find the Process labeled Vue5 and look at the number of GDI objects (You may have to select "View - Select Columns- GDI Objects" ). If you see a large number here e.g. several thousand or more and growing as you use Vue, then it's a memory leak. Memory leaks were a big problem on Vue 4 - hopefully this will will be corrected soon.

aeilkema ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2005 at 12:24 AM

If the way you describe is the way to check a memory leak, then it seems like that isn't Vue 5's problem. I've just opened a large Vue 5 scene (26 high res textured Poser people, procedural terrains, trees, buidlings and more) and Vue is now using 578.4444 kB and only 139 GDI-objects. So that's ok, my firewall uses far more then that (707).

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

gerberc ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2005 at 12:48 AM

In my latest post I had only 1 Poser figure but I already had the memory problem before bringing it into the scene. However I had about 10 extra vegetations from RDNA brought into the scene via Poser. So, if the memory issue has something to do with Poser imports, its not limited to figures. What puzzles me is the fact that the problem seems to be solved (or at least much better) if I turn off background drawing, although my ATI Radeon 9600 should work fine with Vue. Did anybody else notice this behaviour?

dburdick ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2005 at 4:58 PM

The memory leak problem is not a static problem. When you check your GDI handles after starting VUE, check it again after opening and after playing around in Vue for 10 minutes or so. If you see this number increasing significantly, then VUE has a memory leak caused by not releasing discarded GDI objects (e.g. popup menus, graphic object caches, etc). Memory leaks are tough problems to solve and often crop up when adding new functionality or in new releases of software. The only workaround is to save often and then quit and restart VUE after a certain time interval. I do this around each hour of working with VUE.

arcady ( ) posted Fri, 18 March 2005 at 2:57 PM

Hitting control-alt-delete on windows Xp at least will let you see the memory use of each application. In my last gallery image the file is only about 80-some mb's, but memory use for Vue alone was often from 600-700mb's of my 1gb, and with that ran over physical memory (windows OS using up the rest). Turning off the OpenGL stuff didn't help. When I ran machine at the rated processor speed it would freeze up during render, so I had to 'underclock' down to 1.35 ghz from the 1.8 my 2200+ AMD is rated for. That led me to a discussion on AMD's forums, and I ddiscovered that I need to regularly blow the dust from the inside of my CPU's heatsink, or it will turn the heat sink into an insulator and raise my CPU's temperature above tolerance. When running Vue on 1.8ghz, I had reached 75.5 degrees Celsius when I should be in the 40s. That doesn't solve the memory issue, but it helps with crashes that come about when the memory issue gets really up there.

Truth has no value without backing by unfounded belief.
Renderosity Gallery

gerberc ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2005 at 5:19 AM

Just put a 2nd GB of RAM in my PC. Even if it doesn't help too much for Vue 5 at the moment, you can never have enough RAM for raytracing ... My machine is only about half a year old, amazing to see how much dust I found inside. I will start to clean it every 3 months now to prevent overheated CPU!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.