Mon, Sep 9, 4:15 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Vicky Update online at DAZ3D -- what's the deal?

duanemoody ( ) posted Thu, 18 January 2001 at 4:00 PM · edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 5:58 AM

The Poserfree directory that the free model of the week is stored in has an unannounced Vicky update package for download. Is this a new update or just a free copy of the old update? Huh?

BillyGoat ( ) posted Thu, 18 January 2001 at 4:25 PM

It's dated 1-12-2001, so I got it. But you know, I had to go to the Victoria product page to get it. I didn't even think to look in the free model area. I searched for 'update' but nothing came up for me. But as you can see in my post below, I have 7 vickies taking up 50 megs from all these updates...

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 18 January 2001 at 4:43 PM

Yeah, it's an update alright, but the only way you can really tell is by reading here. Nothing is immediately apparent,though, but after working with her for an entire day, I have to sday she DOES SOMEHOW seem better, but it's really hard to define, the more I think about it. Be sure to back up your Zygote geometries folder and your Vickie .cr2 before installing the update, just in case you don't like her for some reason. As usual, Zygote has proclaimed this, but has given out NO info on the what's and why's of the thing....what the hell are they thinking over there, anyway? If I were in charge of all that stuff, there would be NO question as to what was being changed, where, why and how... ....oh welll...

BillyGoat ( ) posted Thu, 18 January 2001 at 5:13 PM

MJ, you are absolutely right-on here. They give no info whatsoever on updates. The only reason I got the update was for a new morph target (that I read about here at this forum) called 'Eyes Closer'. But for almost a 7 meg download, you'd think there would be more new morph targets. Have you found other MT Dials in the new Vicky?

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 18 January 2001 at 5:26 PM

No, not that I can think of, really. Speaking of eyes, I think that's got to be one of the things. Usually, I'll just pose one eye and then do a copy/patse on the other, but I used to have to adjust the second one a little more, and now it seems that it's not quite as bad. Honestly though, I fail to see any kind of update in the hands, unless I'm doing something wrong. Zoom in close on her left hand, in the default postion and size, and rescale it down about 10%. It still screws up the index finger joint on the left hand, even if you also scale the finger down proportionally, though the effect doesn't seem to be as pronounced on the right hand. Hell if I know, LOL-- Vickie's ALWAYS been a mystery, but I'm in love with her all the same.... once I've fixed that damn face, that is!

duanemoody ( ) posted Thu, 18 January 2001 at 6:31 PM

Billygoat: Eyes Closer has been in Vicky since at least May when I got her. The Eyes Closer and Brows In dials are the only dials whose presets aren't zero, and this causes problems with creating head morphs if you don't remember to zero them (monster eyebrows and silly looking eyelids). I sent an email to the pertinent folks at Zygote (i.e., the ones I have addresses for) asking about the update. I'll report back here unless DAZ3D puts out some kind of press release explaining the update.

michalki ( ) posted Thu, 18 January 2001 at 9:36 PM

Ughh! Where's my protective clothing? Visiting Vicky for me is like a visit to Chernobyl: I'm in & out in about 2 minutes. Anything longer can be fatal to the creative impulse. Don't misunderstand: I love her archetype, the .obj file & characters derived from it. I was just extremely disappointed to see in this latest version that Vicky is still ready to play Rugby with other 200 pounders or work on a construction site in Moscow. Why Zygote continues to rely on this bulky cosmonaut as the female spokesperson of the company's Poser line is way beyond my comprehension. I have no complaints with the mesh: it can be modified to create a figure of any size or shape. But what fails to register with me is why can't Zygote follow the lead of all the ACTUAL users of Vicky & come around with a more consensus female (& feminine) figure. It sure as hell must be easy if I can do it with my damaged brain, same as dozens of others represented on Renderosity & elsewhere have demonstrated many times. Look at the fine variations available in the Renderosity store from Handspan Studios alone. Come on Zygote: enough already with your stupid Victor/Victoria.

DgerzeeBoy ( ) posted Thu, 18 January 2001 at 10:06 PM

And then there's Michael. Don't get me started on him...

dunga ( ) posted Thu, 18 January 2001 at 11:01 PM

guys, could you please tell exactly where the free update is: I went to daz3d.com to free models nothing,i went to vicky/michael store nothing --where?

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 18 January 2001 at 11:08 PM

Does your new vickie update still come in leaning back a bit? I just did the update and I can't figure out which one she is. Is she named Vicki in the picture? Or Victoria? Arrrrgh! Marque

JetM ( ) posted Thu, 18 January 2001 at 11:17 PM

It's on the Victoria/Millenium Woman page. Dated 1/12/01 michalki, I don't think you're being fair to Zygote. After all Vicky is the base and that's all she really has to be. You only have to look around the forum to see the updates and changes that can be made to her. Besides, most real women ARE bulky and "ready to play Rugby". Don't want to pick a fight, just had to come to the defense of the people who have pretty much made Poser possible

duanemoody ( ) posted Fri, 19 January 2001 at 12:29 AM

To the men here who complain Vicky is ugly: please upload pictures of your wives, sisters, mothers and daughters for comparison each time you feel obligated to waste space here on this argument. Vicky is not cute. She is not meant to be. She is an attempt, and a good one, at a neutral Caucasian woman of higher resolution and realism than their earlier effort Posette. Similar efforts from other mesh houses cost at least 30% more (and up to five times as much) and come with less prebuilt morphs and features.

michalki ( ) posted Fri, 19 January 2001 at 1:52 AM

Of course, this is not the real world we're dealing with here, is it? A glance around this site & other Poser sites is all it takes to see that Poser users aren't attempting to capture reality in their characters. Either that or they're failing miserably. That goes for Zygote too, if what you say is true about their attempt to depict a neutral Caucasian woman. Contributors to this site seldom offer anything looking like ordinary people. When's the last time you saw one of Thorne's creatures darting behind a rose bush in your real-life neighborhood? How many realistic men or women characters can you find here at Renderosity compared to the ideal or nearly ideal types? Not too many. Now, my mother was truly a neutral Caucasian woman who'd never stand out in a crowd. She was 5 feet tall, sort of roundish & never wore a bikini like Vicky's, nor would she be caught dead coyly posing like Vicky on Zygote's presentation page. So, for us somewhat out of shape folks whose real world is a factory town or farming community, Vicky & most other Poser female characters cannot ever truly represent the real world & judging by Zygote's use of glamour in their marketing, it's hard to imagine that Zygote would be trying to accomplish this. The least that can be said is that they just may not have a clear idea about which way they want to go in their design & approach to marketing.

MikeJ ( ) posted Fri, 19 January 2001 at 4:22 AM

Marque, Yeah she still leans. Only with the update you can't do Edit>Restore>Figure and have her straighten out like you could before the update. Cheers, Mike

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 19 January 2001 at 6:43 AM

I wonder if there is a way to get a list of the names of the files that you download ... I lost the Vickie map pack and although most of the textures I've gotten here (free and otherwise) are better than her original maps, I paid for it and want to use it! lol Just don't know what name to search for ..... sigh Marque

MikeJ ( ) posted Fri, 19 January 2001 at 7:16 AM

What do you mean, Marque? The regular "Vickie Map" and "Vickie Map 2" files, which are actually .cr2's with textures applied, that you get when you order the textures for Vickie? Or are you talking about some other texture package, which I think you must be? Why not call or email Zygote/DAZ and see if they'll let you re-download whatever you lost? I'm sure they keep records--at least I would HOPE they would! Surely you saved your purchase receipt email? Whenever I buy anything online, the first thing I do is copy the receipt to NotePad, and then send it to floppy disk. Cheers, Mike

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 19 January 2001 at 7:31 AM

I always print a record of the sale, just didn't want to go through the stack. I bought Vickie, found her thanks to the real name of the download file, and just about everything they have for her. I had the textures loaded, but when I did the map update all I have are the pictures of the textures, no textures. I have over 100 gigs on this system, plus three 40 gig, a 30 gig and a 20 gig drive that I swap with my other computer, so you can see why I need to know the names of these files. Found most of the stuff and am trying to make one cd that will hold nothing but my Zygote files, one that holds nothing but purchased renderosity files and so on. You can get a list here of what you've bought so this one will be pretty easy. I will just call one of the guys at Zygote today and see if there is a list. Just thought someone here might know the name off-hand. Thanks, Marque I told someone I was getting older and lost my mind, he said don't worry I'm right behind you...I think he must have grabbed it as it rolled by him! lol

MikeJ ( ) posted Fri, 19 January 2001 at 7:47 AM

Marque, The texture names are MilBodyM.jpg and MilBodyM2.jpg, if those are the ones you're talking about, which I'm still not sure..... hope this helps some, Mike PS You have HOW MUCH disk space??!?!?!? Shheeeesssh...i'm jealous--- I only have 20 gigs!

praxis22 ( ) posted Fri, 19 January 2001 at 8:48 AM

Attached Link: http://store.zygote.com/poserfree

The freestuff dir can be found at this link. later jb

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 19 January 2001 at 9:11 AM

No, I know the texture names because that's what it asks for. I need to know the original download name so I can search for it and re-install it. Thanks, Marque

MikeJ ( ) posted Fri, 19 January 2001 at 10:06 AM

I have one, "victoriaM.exe" on CD. As far as I know, I think that covers both the mapped .cr2 files. if that's not what you're after, then I honestly don't know. Mike

wyrwulf ( ) posted Fri, 19 January 2001 at 10:09 AM

mjustmike has the file name right. I just ran it to make sure.

michalki ( ) posted Fri, 19 January 2001 at 2:47 PM

mjustmike: To fix the default posture problem (the lean) after Vicky loads, just select BODY, go to Joint Editor & hit the reset to zero button. She'll stand up correctly.

praxis22 ( ) posted Fri, 19 January 2001 at 3:24 PM

Attached Link: http://store.zygote.com/poserfree

Having just had a look in the dir, they appear to have updated the update! :) It's npw dated 1-18-2001 not 1-12-2002, it's grown by .2Mb too anyone want to chance it :) later jb

duanemoody ( ) posted Fri, 19 January 2001 at 3:50 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=217524

Here's the answer to our question...

MikeJ ( ) posted Fri, 19 January 2001 at 4:06 PM

"updated the update" eh? LOL I know what it is----they're just trying to confuse us-- make it so all we think is, "Zygote, DAZ, Zygote, DAZ--- Vickie, Vickie, Vickie....Zygote...where's my update...upadte update update...." And then once they've sucked us all in for good, well....... ....'scuse me, I'm OK now...

duanemoody ( ) posted Fri, 19 January 2001 at 5:26 PM

Veni, Vidi, Vicky...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.