Thu, Sep 19, 4:11 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Levels versus curves

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 5:01 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 4:08 PM

Ok! I've tried the curves thingie in PSP8 and find it a pain to use! So I tried the levels instead in Photoshop elements 2 (couldn't find the curves in there!) and find it so much easier to use as well as very efficient! So much so that it's the only adjustements I do on most of my images now! My question is, what's the difference really between levels and curves? Are curves more accurate than levels? More detailed?

mlewis ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 7:02 AM

You can do the same things as levels with curves but you can also do a lot more with curves. I often use curves to just change darker or lighter areas of an image. It is impossible to do this with levels. Photoshop Elements doesn't have curves so you are stuck with levels using it.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 9:30 AM

It is a preferrence thing. Yes, levels is easier. Both do the same thing, but curves can be more exact. Much of the time levels will be all you need but there will be times you need to target a specific area so use curves then.

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 11:04 AM

Ah ok!! So curves are more precised indeed!! Cool! Thx guys for ur feedback! :)

tvernuccio ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 11:04 AM

I'm gonna try using the curves thing in PSP7 when i feel better these days, Pascale. hope i won't find it a pain like you did.

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 11:27 AM

file_206872.jpg

LOL! Well, I found it a pain to use cos I'm not very patient and the curves are very sensitive so VERY minor changes to the curves are needed really unless ur photo is really bad! So it's kinda hard to adjust the curve the way u want! Levels are, for me, the perfect tool!! I adjust my images in a few mns with the levels tool and it looks so good!! Here's the proof! Surely it's not perfect but I'm very pleased with it for now! ;)

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 11:42 AM

I hear ya Pascale, but try this. Dump a whole bunch of points on the "curve" and try adjusting then. It minimized how much it affects other areas. And don't forget that you can go into each seperate color channel in both tools as well. 8}

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 11:57 AM

Ah yes yes!!! I didn't even notice that actually! Thx Kort! ;)

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 12:01 PM

file_206873.jpg

You can actually acheive some wild effects if you push it with all those points on the curve. Anway, here is my attempt at illustrating why curves can be better. It make come to a matter of taste, but I feel I was able to give it more substance with the curves tool. Opinions?

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 12:16 PM

Mmmmh! To be honest, I prefer the second one! The third one is "too much" for me! But as u said, it's just a question of taste! ;) I will learn how to use curves at one point but for now, I'm gonna stick to my levels! ;P

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 12:47 PM

I understand completely. But too much you say? I preferr the Curves version because it brings out more detail in the darks and highlights. Interesting how we all see the world differently! ;oP

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 1:06 PM

Yea I know what u mean! It might as well be because of our monitors! Also, u might not have chosen the best pic for such an example?? Something less busy would be clearer I think! Just a thought though! ;)

gradient ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 2:38 PM

I'm far from being an expert here....but my take on levels versus curves is this; 1) Levels affect the image linearly...in other words, if an adjustment is made, that adjustment is applied to all pixels. If you use levels to bring out detail in shadow areas, you will also lighten and possibly blow out the highlight areas of your image. 2) Curves are just as the name implies (not a linear function)...so, adjustments can be made in one area and not necessarily be applied to other areas. Using curves gives you the ability to bring detail out of shadows without risking blowing out highlight areas in that image. Curves are a much more precise method of image enhancement. My 2 cents....

In youth, we learn....with age, we understand.

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 2:46 PM

Ah!! Now this is clear!! Thx gradient! I'll definitely have another go at it!! ;)

tvernuccio ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 3:59 PM

gradient...thanks for that explanation! that was very helpful! Kort, i like the one with curves only the best. it's a bit more vibrant as far as the colors and seems to be shinier! Pascale, i just played around with levels to see how that worked and found it to be pretty easy to use like you said!!! i loved the effects!!!!!! I will try figuring out the curves things and see how that goes and let you know. it's nice to have a tool that'll just let you work on part of an image and not affect the whole thing. wish me luck!!! i'll post my results later!!!

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 4:06 PM

Ok Sheila! Have fun! ;)

gradient ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 7:30 PM

To see the effect of using curves, try this...If you have an area of shadow in your image that you wish to bring out some detail, click on that part of the image...the corresponding clicked point will show up as a point on the straight line (curve). Now move the straight line at the point where it was indicated...move it until you get the desired detail in the shadow area. You now have a curve! Now go to the highlight part of your image, click again...notice the point on the curve, adjust this point to bring back any blown out areas (if necessary). Play around....oh, one other thing...the move does not need to be dramatic...start with subtle moves first. Also, you can add more points, adjust midpoint etc.... Have fun!

tvernuccio ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 9:03 PM

i tried what you said but i couldn't get it to work. i clicked on my image, then i opened up curves. it did nothing. i thought i did it wrong. so then i tried opening up curves. i wanted to click on my image but it wouldn't let me as long as i was in that curves box. Do you have PS or PSP? Am i doing something wrong? i read the help in PSP about curves and i'm still not seeing how to do what you said. thanks so much for your help!!!!

Misha883 ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 9:42 PM

I've been sort of dissapointed with the tutorials I've seen about curves. Yes, you CAN adjust the transfer functions very precisely on each of the channels. Obtaining the very best representation of the tones and colors. But little is said about HOW to do this. I generally adjust white and black point using Levels. Then color balance using the "Variations" dialog. Then curves, but usually just a single center point on the brightness channel. I believe this is more or less equivalent to just using the middle slider in levels. Sometimes I'll get fancy and use an "S" curve, as I think it is often more similar to results in the B&W darkroom. I do not claim to be an expert in this. [I will often use some of Donald's pre-defined curves on a B&W conversion, to mimic the image tones in chemical processes. You can search the threads here about this.] I have noticed that whatever automatic algorithm they use at Jiffy-Mart works REALLY WELL. Digital prints from such places really snap with saturation and tonal range. Difficult to admit, but I wish I knew what they did. It would be a great starting point.

gradient ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 9:44 PM

@tvernuccio...sorry, the method I described works with PS...not sure about PSP...I will have to check on that, although I assume it should be similar. In PS...open your image, then go to Image, adjustments, curves...the curve dialog box opens. Your cursor turns into an eye dropper...when you pass over the image and click...the click shows up on your curve....careful though, it goes away when you "unclick". Take note of where the click showed up on the curve...that's the point you begin to "pull" from. You also have three eyedroppers in the bottom right part of the curve dialog box...with these you can set your black, white and midpoints. Does anyone else know if PSP works the same for this?

gradient ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 10:09 PM

Attached Link: http://vivid-color.net/articles/workflow/workflow.php

Here's an interesting link on digital workflow that perhaps better describes curves and other workflow basics....note this one is for PS. I will see what I can find for PSP.

tvernuccio ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 11:29 PM

gradient...thank you for your help!!! i'm also looking!! i've found all kinds of tutorials for PSP but nothing so far on curves/levels. Misha...sounds like you've had the same kind of luck. wonder what the deal is?? gradient...i tried to do what you said...doesn't work. must be a difference between PSP & PS. my cursor doesn't turn into an eye dropper. i can't click on my image when the curves box is open. i'll read that article in just a bit. i'm still trying to find a tutorial. i keep coming up empty though. Misha, you're exactly right! little is said on how to do all that! pre-defined curves? hmmmm...i guess i will do some searching around and see what that's all about!!! thanks for the help!!!!!

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 25 March 2005 at 9:38 AM

Neat article...I like that last image the best before he started adjusting it though. ;)

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 25 March 2005 at 1:10 PM

The cursor-over-the-image-that-indicates-the-exact-point-on-the-curve-thingie only works in Photoshop! I've tried PSP8 and Photoimpact XL and there's no such thing in there! Gradient, thx for the link! Misha, I agree with u, I guess the only tut is to try it out, but I don't have much patience with it! I prefer using levels and then hue and saturation if need be but usually, levels does the job! And yea, that pre-defined curves thing REALLY interests me too!!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.