Mon, Oct 21, 9:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 9:06 pm)

Subject: Strand-based hair - better in P6?

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 5:32 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 9:36 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I've been having better luck with strand-based hair in P6 than I did in P5. Not talking about collisions or such (I know they supposedly made improvements there, but I didn't try it yet), I'm just talking about how it looks. Even the stock hair comes out pretty good; more realistic without as much playing in the hair room. Well, that's just one man's opinion. Anyway, I just posted a render of Jessi using the P6 strand-based hair to my gallery if you want to check it out. A word of caution: I don't think I'll be using AO with strand based hair again anytime soon though... the rendertime was ungodly. 3 times longer than the transmapped hair I tried, but I liked the result with strand better.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

Lawndart ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 5:38 PM

MAN! That looks good. How long do you think the rendering took? Cheers, Joe

ghelmer ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 5:45 PM

WOW!!! Geez maxxx.... I'd kill for your skills!!!

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 6:32 PM

"How long do you think the rendering took?" Good question. It had to be anywhere from 4 to 6 hours at that size, which I consider pretty long. I know many here have sat through much longer, but for stills, I don't usually bother with anything that would take longer than an hour. I'm so used to having to crank out thousands of frames in animation, anything longer than a few minutes and I'm biting my nails. hehe. I really wish Poser had rendertime displays for it's renders. P6 seems to display some kind of times for previous renders in a dropdown box on the viewport, but I'm not sure if they are "session times" or actual render times. The one I just did says "13hours", but I know it didn't take that long to render.

unzipped ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 6:44 PM

The hair looks good, although it doesn't seem as "sharp" as the figure itself for whatever reason. An aside: other people have had several complaints against Jessi, but I think I'll be the first I know of to say I really, really think her face is "subpar" to put it politely. Not only do I find it unattractive, but it also looks trickey to morph, especially the nose. Thankfully they've got a more basic head to use in the face room from what I understand. I'm looking forward to seeing what people (including myself someday) do with that. keep up the great work Max, Unzipped

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 7:19 PM

" The hair looks good, although it doesn't seem as "sharp" as the figure itself for whatever reason." Ah, could be the DOF (depth of field) I did in post, attempting to blend her better with the background. Also, there were some issues with "jaggies" on certain parts of the strand based hair that I tried to "smooth" a little. That, more likely than not, is my own fault for not having made some more optimizations in the render dialogue. I wasn't about to re-render through. LOL.

unzipped ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 7:41 PM

That would probably have something to do with it. Any chance you could just give us an el-cheapo, quickie render with no postwork to see what the "raw" hair looks like? Unzipped

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 7:57 PM

"quickie render with no postwork to see what the "raw" hair looks like?" Sure. I'll do a fast render of the raw hair for you. Give me a few minutes.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 8:25 PM

file_212077.jpg

Here's a render of that scene with no AO shadows, and all materials set to white, except the hair. I moved the camera up a bit so you can see how the ends look.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 8:26 PM

file_212078.jpg

And here's the guide hairs before rendering.

KDoug ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 8:42 PM

Looks very good, maxxxmodelz!

getjolly ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 8:43 PM

Attached Link: http://www.getjolly.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpbb2&file=viewforum.php&f=8

file_212080.jpg

Heres a render of Kate with default Poser lights wearing Jessi's hairstyles. I just posted a link to a tutorial as to, how to do this if your interested. :-) Love Jolly

Jolly : CP Store :

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 8:59 PM

Very cool, getjolly. Good tip.

an0malaus ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 9:18 PM

file_212082.jpg

If anyone's interested, here's a P5 python script to initiate a render to the current viewport or new window (according to the settings) and display the render time. Nothing fancy, as I'm on a Mac and awaiting my P6 box. I have another version which (due to Mac tkInter absence) has hard-coded settings for frame range, destination path and output image type (three letter extension) that will render a range of frames, save them to the destination path and print the individual and total render times. I believe P6 has some python GUI tools which will let Mac users deal with simple python dialogs for data entry, so I'll update the second script and post it when I get my shipment.

My ShareCG Stuff

Verbosity: Profusely promulgating Graham's number epics of complete and utter verbiage by the metric monkey barrel.

operaguy ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2005 at 3:54 AM

Strand hair definately looking much much better. :::og:::

Berserga ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2005 at 11:01 AM · edited Thu, 31 March 2005 at 11:03 AM

Insanely better, whoever made those hairstyles really knew what they were doing, and it appears the hair materials are much more believable this time around... GAH Hurry up UPS GUY!

Also Jessie's face has a great look, IMO. Lokks hella better than V3 in her default state. (Not that that really means anything at all.) I wonder how the strand based hair takes to cel shading? I've been doing some experiments in P5 today and have gotten some reasonably good results on heavily populated hair like RDNA's free Mod Bob.

Message edited on: 03/31/2005 11:03

unzipped ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2005 at 11:36 AM

Max, the strand based hair does look really good. I expect people will be doing even bigger and better things with it (including yourself). Berserga - we'll just have to be content with our differing opinions on Jessi's face. I find it way too stylized and unrealistic - and not in any good way. Unzipped

Berserga ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2005 at 1:22 PM

W00T! I got my box!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.