Mon, Sep 9, 8:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Poser 6 just arrived - What should I know before installing?

Warangel ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2005 at 3:05 PM · edited Mon, 22 July 2024 at 3:04 PM

Just got here. Have Poser 5 and a LOT of stuff in my folders. What do I need to know before installing for a clean and smooth transition?

ghelmer ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2005 at 3:10 PM

Maybe defrag your HD first (just to be anal retentive)and put on the coffee... I didn't do anything special ('cept for the coffee) and all went beautifully!!! After install I rebooted to be safe and then fired P6 up and added my P5 runtime without any issues!! Being working great since install!!!

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

nruddock ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2005 at 3:20 PM

Make sure that you have the latest version of your video card drivers.
Spend a little time browsing to find out what has caused problems for others and bookmark in case you run into trouble.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2005 at 3:20 PM

During installation, some people seemed to have conflicts with their antivirus and firewall software, though I can not confirm this. You might want to download and install the latest drivers for your graphics card, if you haven't done so lately.

BillyWitchDoctor.com recommends lighting some candles and waving a dead chicken over your hard drive while reciting the "sofa-king" incantation.

Also, do you have a fog machine handy?

Warangel ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2005 at 3:29 PM

ok, only thing I see so far here is something about Poser 5 runtime? Do I completely uninstall my Poser 5 and all my stuff, install Poser 6, then reinstall everything? Can someone give me a step by step? So excited, but so nervous. And I will pickup the dead chicken

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2005 at 3:36 PM

P6 is just like P5 in regards to the runtime. You can link it between the two apps and not bother with rebuilding it. It also works across drives (P6 is on G:, P5 and the external runtime is on H: ) And as an FYI for those who use P booost, P6 doesn't seem to have any issues with it whatsoever. So no rebuild to access all that stuff you have in custom runtime folders needed. So far.

thedoctor ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2005 at 3:47 PM

Forgive the stupid question but how do I link my Poser5 runtime folder to both apps??? Thanks

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2005 at 3:49 PM

Just to reiterate, you do not need to uninstall Poser 5 and your existing content, nor should you worry about P6 overwriting your files. By default, Poser 6 will install into its own folder; it does not touch your Poser 5 installation, and both versions can coexist peacefully on the same system.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2005 at 3:53 PM

AAAHHHHHH but P6 quits running when i click on Open, or Material room or cloth room or setup room....etc.... How on earth am i to do anything????????

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

thedoctor ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2005 at 3:54 PM

I've got 5 and 6 co-existing but how do I link runtime folders between the apps as described in the earlier post? Thanks Mark

thedoctor ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2005 at 3:58 PM

I see this was covered just a few posts below. Sorry to have not read further before posting question.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2005 at 3:59 PM

Forgive the stupid question but how do I link my Poser5 runtime folder to both apps???
I've got 5 and 6 co-existing but how do I link runtime folders between the apps as described in the earlier post?

Jelisa's tutorial

Doctor Geep's tutorial

AAAHHHHHH but P6 quits running when i click on Open, or Material room or cloth room or setup room....etc....

That's likely to be an OpenGL issue with your graphics card. Almost everyone I've heard reporting such problems has resolved them by updating their drivers, turning down the hardware acceleration in the card's control panel, or switching to Poser's SreeD display mode.

akura_ ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2005 at 4:58 PM

How do I know if my drive is updated to the latest version? And where do I find it and how do I update them?

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2005 at 5:18 PM

Depends upon your card. Check at the manufacturer's website, or failing that, try the developer of the underlying chipset technology. The version currently installed should be displayed on the card's control panel.

If you're using a GeForce or TNT card, Nvidia reference drivers can be found here. ATI drivers can be found here.

I believe both companies have released driver updates in the last three weeks.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.