Mon, Sep 9, 8:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Poser 6 clothing simulations stop early?

Warangel ( ) posted Fri, 01 April 2005 at 7:44 PM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 9:50 AM

Seems no matter how many frames for the simulation, it also chokes and stops somewhere along the line. Doing very simple tests with Jessi and her free miniskirt and top. Anyone else having these issues? Or am I doing something wrong?

mheldt ( ) posted Fri, 01 April 2005 at 7:55 PM

I had similar problems with the scarf. I have not had time to figure out why or if I am doing something wrong.

nerd ( ) posted Fri, 01 April 2005 at 8:15 PM
Forum Moderator

This happens when the simulation gets confused. Often it is not obvious why it jammed up. Try retiming the animation to use more frames or use more drape frames at the beginning. Changing the cloth dynamic settings can help too. You will have to delete the simnulation and re-setup every thing. This is a bug in Poser. Once a simulation fails it will never work again. Don't forget to file a bug report at CL. Maybe they can get this fixed in SR1. Nerd3D

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Fri, 01 April 2005 at 8:34 PM

I had this problem many times in P5. So it's nothing new, just something they didn't seem to "fix". I'm also having trouble running dynamic hair simulations. The calc hangs and seems to take dramatically longer to achieve, when collisions are enabled, than it ever did in P5. Probably due to the memory problem. Hope they fix that soon.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

Warangel ( ) posted Fri, 01 April 2005 at 8:49 PM

Ok thanks. Still reading the manual on these things, but it's good to know I am not totally on crack

senyac ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2005 at 12:13 AM

Hi :) I had the same problem and contacted CL , They told me that its not a bug , but the simulator is getting confused , and If in the pose/animation the cloth gets squashed between 2 body parts it will confuse the simulator and stop ,In my test I was using a walk cycle and when the arms swing past the chest the cloth was being squashed between the arms and chest , adjusting the arm swing so that the arms swing out a bit more fixed the problem :) i have noticed that when using it with poses it also happens that some body parts come in contact with other body parts in the transitions before the final pose , justing these contact areas so they give the cloth room to move has also fixed these situations:) I hope this Helps :) Cheers Senyac

nerd ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2005 at 1:33 AM
Forum Moderator

Yes, you can also constrain the vertexes under the arms to prevent the simulation from getting stuck.

The "bug" is that after you correct the pose you can not re-calculate the simulation. The scene is corrupted. You must delete the simulation and recreate it. Yes, save right before you run a cloth sim, every time I forget to I regret it.

I also offer a freebie cloth helper on my website. It is a low-polygon set of mittens and booties that you can poot on your figures hands ane feet to help keep them form getting tangled in the cloth.

Cloth Helper, you'll need to register to download the freebies.

Nerd3D

an0malaus ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2005 at 5:20 AM

What a useful thread! Thanks for the info. I've been frustrated with P5 cloth simulation over recent weeks and the silent failure due to pinching between body parts appears to be the cause. A pity that the simulator can't give a reason for the failure or indicate the problem areas as happens with collision detection body parts. One question I'd like to resolve is what are the vertex contraints relative to? the body part that the prop is parented to?

My ShareCG Stuff

Verbosity: Profusely promulgating Graham's number epics of complete and utter verbiage by the metric monkey barrel.

nerd ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2005 at 8:52 AM
Forum Moderator

The closest collision object is where the constrained vertexes are attached. Nerd3D

senyac ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2005 at 9:26 AM · edited Sat, 02 April 2005 at 9:28 AM

file_212809.jpg

According to Poser5 demytified the clothes constrained vertexes are constrained to the nearest vertexs of the figure ,And from my own tests Ive found that it not always necessary to constrain the cloth to the figure , This Image the dress is not constrained to Jessi at all and it still worked well:)

Message edited on: 04/02/2005 09:28

an0malaus ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2005 at 9:30 AM · edited Sat, 02 April 2005 at 9:41 AM

Question answered. Thanks senyac. Nice image BTW.

I notice that apart from the front of the thigh, none of the rest of the dress is particularly in danger of pinching by body part intersection. My cloth is getting caught up in the crossfire between bend and side-side motion of the buttock in the groin area, with very acute angles and subtle but definite pinching in the middle of a walk cycle. I'll try constraining some of the vertices to the inside of the thigh and see if that helps. OTOH, I guess the effort to create joint controlled morphs to avoid the body part intersection isn't completely wasted.

Message edited on: 04/02/2005 09:41

My ShareCG Stuff

Verbosity: Profusely promulgating Graham's number epics of complete and utter verbiage by the metric monkey barrel.

senyac ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2005 at 9:47 AM

With your close fittng shorts you only need to constrain the vertexs around the top of the shorts(around the belt area) the rest of the shorts and the legs of the shorts should follow the corresponding legs :)If you have trouble with the cloth between the legs stuffing up you could try constraining those areas to the inside of the legs , some times it takes some trial and error :)

nerd ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2005 at 10:21 PM
Forum Moderator

Another tick with pants that are dynamic. pull them down in the groin area a bit. It keeps them out of the trouble area between the hip-buttock-thigh area. Nerd3D

an0malaus ( ) posted Sun, 03 April 2005 at 10:05 AM

Thanks nerd, but baggy hotpants aren't my style ;-) Good tip though.

My ShareCG Stuff

shedofjoy ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2005 at 9:00 PM

AHHHHH now i have got the same problem and it happened in P5 and now in P6, i converted the Spycoat for the GIRL to a dynamic cloth and wanted a walk cycle but as soon as she started to walk the whole thing stops, Every time, i think the cloth is getting stuck behind the knee joint, and the cloth is parented to the chest, because the coat splits just below the breasts. Is there a way to keep the cloth from being pinched by these joints or is my animation DOOMED???????????

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

nerd ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2005 at 9:38 PM
Forum Moderator

Parent a sphere to the end of the thigh and scale it to "protect" the problem area. Add it to the collision objects and calculate. Hide or delete the sphere before rendering. Nerd3D

senyac ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2005 at 9:57 PM

Hi:) Shedofjoy :) In your case adjusting the legs or knees would most likely stuff up your walk cycle :( So I would try placing a wind force in to blow the cloth away from the knees stightly , you will have to play around with the settings to get what you want:) I hope this Helps :) Senyac

shedofjoy ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 9:25 AM

Thanks Senyac, that idea hadn't crossed my mind, i will give the wind idea a go, as for a Sphere hidden around the hips, hmmm this doesnt stop the knees from causeing probs. Thanks anyway

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.