Wed, Oct 2, 10:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Out of memory in Poser 6 no longer funny (RANT)

infinity10 ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 9:07 AM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 10:22 PM
Online Now!

I am getting repeated out-of-memory problems in Poser 6 mid-way through compmosing a scene. The PZ3 file then gets corrupted to zero bytes. Hours of work gone. Curious Labs - this is no longer funny, considering it's software I paid for. How about you repay me for my time and effort lost in return ? I am getting really, really fed-up with this situation.

Eternal Hobbyist

operaguy ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 9:13 AM

I agree this needs to be fixed STAT, but we are all very much warned. Suggestion when working in hard hat zone: make frequent incremental backups of your pz3, like jessie01.pz3, jessie02.pz3 etc. that way if you hit a corruption wall you do NOT lose hours and hours of work. Also, everyone is reporting that at the moment we should exit all the way out of Poser6 and back in again to blow out the memory problem. ::::: Opera :::::

infinity10 ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 9:26 AM
Online Now!

Even with frequent saving, once you hit that sudden and very unexpected "Out Of Memory Error", the whole PZ3 file reverts to zero bytes - gone, all gone. Maybe need to save to different filenames at every save. Dunno. Situation sucks big time, for a commercialware.

Eternal Hobbyist

operaguy ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 10:08 AM

Yes, different file names each save, as I proposed, and exiting each time you do so (not 'save as'). During hard hat time... ::::: Opera :::::

jarm ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 11:41 AM

Yeah I've lost several scenes this way, seemed to happen when I added multiple figures. I agree, needs sorting out.

oilscum ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 11:50 AM

And according to the EULA, there's not a damn thing you can do about it. Not even if it reduces your entire system to slag. Happy thoughts!

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 12:34 PM

Yes, I agree that the memory bug is a major issue.

Hopefully CL will quickly get out a service release to address the problem.

In the meantime, Opera's suggestion of saving incremental versions of your scene will do the job. It's irritating to have to interrupt your workflow that way -- but it sure beats having to do it all over again!

Com'on, CL -- this is a GREAT app. Please don't let one flaw like this spoil it for some.

The sooner that we see that service release, the better.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

jarm ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 1:03 PM

Unless the service pack is rushed and contains more problems, then it isn't better. I'd rather wait a few weeks and suffer than get a fix that'll have me screaming even more.

aeilkema ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 1:13 PM

What are you guys creating to get the whole thing crashing anyway? My largest scene until now had 14 people in it (6xM1, 6xV1, 1xP4man and 1xDon) All of them with head & Body textures (except for the P4 man). All the figures fully clothed with high res textures on the clothes and the P4 & Don both had a full knight armor on. Besides that there was the P4 horse with armor and DAZ Charger with spline bender armor. Also I had a microcosm textured ground tile, some rocks, fences, flags, a number of weapons and a fully textured battle tent. No crashes in working on scene at all. Poser 6 still responds quite well. Only problem is that I can't render the scene at all, but knew about that problem already. Fyi, I've got 1Gb of Phys Ram in my machine.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

kawecki ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 1:21 PM

"And according to the EULA, there's not a damn thing you can do about it. Not even if it reduces your entire system to slag." You have no comsumer's rights there? Consumer rights overrides any EULA!

Stupidity also evolves!

Lawndart ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 1:26 PM

FYI: I don't care WHAT program I'm working in, I always do incremental saves. Poser, Max, PhotoShop... Any of them. It's never a good idea to drive a car without a spare tire. :)

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 1:38 PM

It's never a good idea to drive a car without a spare tire. :) True.....but when it comes to computers, it's usually a good idea to carry around about a dozen or so spare tires. And a spare car, for that matter.

Lawndart ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 1:48 PM

and some oil, a transmition and 3 or 4 brake calipers. :)

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 2:17 PM

No crashes in working on scene at all. Poser 6 still responds quite well. Only problem is that I can't render the scene at all, but knew about that problem already.

So far, the only time that I've experienced a crash is during an attempted render. Some others are reporting crashes while working on the file itself -- not during a render.

The "crash" consists of an out-of-memory warning dialog, followed by a corrupted file. The program itself doesn't come down, but the file gets messed up. Missing textures, etc.

A back-up copy is a great idea.

I've been able to recover from the problem by exiting Poser, and then re-opening the file. After this, I was able to render the scene with no problem.

In a case like this, no one can really explain why some individuals have problems like this, while others don't. There are simply too many variables involved. Differing hardware setups, differing software configurations on individual systems, not to mention differing operating systems.

One cannot always point at something specific, and say "this is it!".

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 2:19 PM

BTW - the memory bug affects those that it affects regardless of how much system RAM they have. It eats up all of the physical memory, and then it instantly goes down as soon as it uses up the available supply.

akura_ ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 3:14 PM · edited Tue, 05 April 2005 at 3:23 PM

I fixed that problem with mine. Under Manual, I have the texture set at maximum, and bucket set at like 64 and it renders just like fire fly, with no memory problems so far.

Message edited on: 04/05/2005 15:23

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 3:19 PM

and it renders just like fire fly With IBL AO? I'd like to see that happen in Poser 4.

akura_ ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 3:23 PM

Re edited it, sorry, it was a typo.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 3:29 PM
kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 4:31 PM

The only crash that I've had so far was when trying to save the scene while in the Material Room. Didn't seem to like that very much for some reason. Otherwise, no difficulties.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

hoskins78 ( ) posted Wed, 06 April 2005 at 7:56 AM

Have any of you tried the fix posted at Curious Labs? The suggestion is to turn down hardware acceleration by a setting or two! I've tried this but have not had much Poser time since so I can't be certain whether it's worked! Fingers crossed - Curious Labs describes this as a suprisingly simple fix if I remember correctly and if it works it certainly is!!! The fix can be found on Curious Labs Poser 6 support page (it's about the only thing on there)

infinity10 ( ) posted Wed, 06 April 2005 at 8:51 AM
Online Now!

For me, I have done as CL suggested, and it helped the software load completely, that's about it. My problems are related to getting it to operate without suddenly going comatose on me. It's behaving like a terrorist - I never know when I'm going to get hit. Yes, yes... I'm taking precautions such as saving extermely often into new files, and wasting a lot of time exiting and re-launching etc,etc. Nice piece of work, this new commercialware. I apologise to all of you for my bad temper. I'm not normally like this.

Eternal Hobbyist

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Wed, 06 April 2005 at 10:07 PM

You may want to turn off some of the background things windoze has running, that will free up more memory. Remember, everything you have running in the background or a non active window eats up memory so the less running the more you have for Poser. :-)

Why shouldn't speech be free? Very little of it is worth anything.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.