Mon, Oct 21, 5:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 5:20 pm)

Subject: Downloading from Pixelatious.com

ScottA ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 8:32 AM ยท edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 7:29 PM

Attached Link: http://www.pixelatious.com

Some of you have complained that you can't download things like my dinosaurs off of my web site. I just got an e-mail from tech support saying that Fortunecity has a new cookies system in place that is supposed to combat warezing. But if you try to download files from my site without having Cookies enabled. You'll have problems. Can the people who have had problems please check to see that their cookies are enabled. Then try to download something off of the site for me please? I need to confirm that this is the problem. Thanks ScottA

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 9:59 AM

Last time I went there there were about 30 cookies...I keep mine on but I have it set up to ask if I want the cookie. I personally have a problem with their explaination about "warezing". How will having a cookie set for every graphic that comes up, including buttons combat warezing? Do they think the little warez rats will get impatient and go elsewhere? lol Marque

JeffH ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 10:22 AM

Hey Scott, I told you a week ago that the cookies were needed for downloading. After I let them load it all worked fine. -Jeff

ScottA ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 11:08 AM

I know Jeff. But I wasn't sure if it was an isolated incident. When I recieved the e-mail from Them today. It confirmed your experience with my site. I'm just trying to see if that was the entire problem or not. So I need everyone who had trouble before to try it again with cookies enabled and let me know if it works. If that's all it is. I'll put something on my web site reminding people that way newcomers won't have any trouble. Here is what they said: "Ours is not a typical usage of cookies. We DO NOT use these cookies for tracking behavioral web use. The cookie is one element of our plan to eliminate warez and cracks downloads, increase our available bandwidth, and diminish misuses of our 100 MEGs of Free web space. We have found our bandwidth double after implementing this technology and have seen an increased loading speed of member sites such as yours. We feel it is a clever way to use a technology that was originally developed for a different function. We have found that the majority of web surfers have cookies enabled within their browsers and therefore decided on this magical approach to the problem. In no way do these cookies compromise the privacy of any web surfer or you the web site builder, it actually makes the user and web surfer experience at a FortuneCity site better, easier, and smoother." ScottA

BillyGoat ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 7:18 PM

I'm not buying their explaination... unless there is software that can see thru a .zip or .rar - there's no way they can stop cracks or warez stuff unless the cookie follows you and reports back. That's spyware. I read, I think in Info World that by renaming a file to .mp3 with some type of hacked software (that both the sender and receiver have) you could trade files on Napster... I think cookies are like banners - recording the 'hit' for the advertisers cash registers. I could be wrong, it's just a gut feeling.

jade_nyc ( ) posted Fri, 26 January 2001 at 11:29 PM

Scott I have you down as a trusted site and I still have problems downloading - but I've found a way around my problems with your site - I just keep trying again and again and each time I get a little more of the file until I'm done - it's a pain in the arse but your stuff is worth it IMO :D Jade

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 26 January 2001 at 11:43 PM

I was able to download your stuff and Jade is right, it's well worth a few cookies! Oh, and thanks so much for sharing, it is appreciated. 8^) Marque

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.