Fri, Sep 20, 5:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Things to come...a BIT of a different perspective

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 10:30 AM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 5:31 AM

file_216724.jpg

I was reading (somewhere?) that future digital cameras may incorporate - Global Positioning Systems (GPS) as a feature! COOL...Well...I did kind of a mock up simulation today to (maybe)give you an idea of what onepossible application of this technology. I took a few pix this morning, this is the 1st one. My town was built around a HUGE steel mill factory...that is NOW abandoned! These are the SUPPORTS for some kind of bridge that is now long gone.

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 10:31 AM

file_216725.jpg

Heres another shot of one of the old buildings on the factory grounds!

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 10:35 AM ยท edited Sat, 09 April 2005 at 10:36 AM

file_216727.jpg

Ok...heres the COOL factor! I used Googles new BETA satellite view and snagged this shot of the area I was in!

I added the markers to give you an idea of WHERE I was and WHERE the 2 images I took were located!

In the future this I belive with the GPS technology...you would be able to interface with something like this automatically!

Like I said...cool possibilities!

L8r!
Joe

Message edited on: 04/09/2005 10:36

DJB ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 2:00 PM

I want to know about this Google Beta satellite thing. I love checking out different land masses.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

tvernuccio ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 2:02 PM

COOL photos, Joe!!! but i'm confused about the 3rd one Joe. i guess later i need to do some research and find out about Beta satellite and see what that's about. you enter and address to get a satellite view? that's really neat!!! can't imagine being able to take pictures like this without, uh...being in space!!! LOL! sounds like more cool technology is just around the corner!

cryptojoe ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 2:41 PM

Hey Joe. Give us the link to that Google Satellite thingie. I'd like to do land mats of my area in Terrigen.

Yank My Doodle, It's a Dandy!

cynlee ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 3:11 PM

definately kewl! the incorporation of the GPS as well as the age & history... had fun playing with mapping when looking up directions... zoom further out, further, further!! O.o! think i'll just take my spaceship there :]

Onslow ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 3:36 PM

Hey Joe - I feel a song comin' on ...........lol These are great yeah what a neat idea I will have a look at it :) Better put off buying my new cam till they got satellite technology now - lol

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few,ย Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

greybeard101 ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 3:47 PM

www.maps.Google.com I'm a map nut so the GPS idea rocks AFAIC. And the satellite images are fairly recent as it shows an improvement on my home that we had done late last Fall.

Onslow ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 4:30 PM

:o I just tried scrolling east and Europe has sunk :(

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few,ย Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

cryptojoe ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 4:39 PM

Cool, thanks. Off to Area-51.

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 7:07 PM

What GPS means??

cryptojoe ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 7:36 PM

GPSS is a positioning system for satellite communications and video feeds. It used to be that all satellites were geosynchronous (fixed over one location) or constantly racing across the globe. Global Positioning Satellite Systems (GPSS has been shortened to GPS) enables satellites to move slightly to position themselves where they are needed by ground control commands.

Radlafx ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 10:36 PM

There already are GPS enabled cameras.

Question the question. Answer the question. Question the answer...

I wish I knew what I was gonna say :oP

TobinLam ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 10:42 PM ยท edited Sat, 09 April 2005 at 10:47 PM

The way GPS works is pretty simple. It times how long a signal takes to go from the satellite to the reciever and uses three or more satellites to triangulate your position. With one satellite all it can figure out is you are a certain distance from the satellite. For all it knows, you could be half way to the moon. With two, it can narrow it down to a strip of land that is fairly small. With three, it can narrow it down to just a couple meters. I tried to find my house but it was just a dot. The quality was extremely low. But I did find my unfinished dorm(this is its first year open). That was a pretty good shot. The new science building isn't quite finished either.

Message edited on: 04/09/2005 22:47

UKmac ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2005 at 2:08 AM

Nice one. Off to Google to search for sat maps of Scotland. Steve

UKmac ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2005 at 2:13 AM

Shame...only USA sat maps. Ahh well maybe they wil get to the rest of world. Again thanks for info Steve

Michelle A. ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2005 at 7:39 AM

file_216728.jpg

Wow this is so cool......!! The arrow is pointing to my house... wish I could have gotten a closer shot, but this was the closest image that it has.....

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

cynlee ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2005 at 10:19 AM

nice & green there 'chelle... got it locked in on the mothership now... look for the parachute! ;]

greybeard101 ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2005 at 5:12 PM

Yes it seems that the images on the website are hit and miss when it comes to the clarity. Locally here in the Vancouver area they are very good....in fact last night we were having fun checking out all the places we go or like to go and we could actually see my daughter's car parked where she always parks it outside her place of work!!! Unfortunately we can't download the images. I tried to download an image of the pub and beach at Pacific City Oregon because I planned to post a panoramic picture of that area and it would have been interesting to see from above the POV I took the image from. I've found it helpful in determining routes to take to get to a possible photo location that I imagined would be a good POV but previously had no idea how to get to in order to take the shot.

greybeard101 ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2005 at 5:14 PM

Hey..wait a minute..how did you get that shot of your location Michelle? I've not been sucessful in saving the images.

Michelle A. ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2005 at 5:23 PM

Right clicking is useless..... but I used PSP's screen capture abilities to grab it.

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2005 at 5:51 PM

Hehe!! Michelle's a thug! ;P Thx for all the infos guys! This is pretty cool indeed!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.