Fri, Oct 4, 3:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Yet another lighting question

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 11:26 AM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 6:30 PM

file_219698.jpg

Quick render. Would like to have the light come from the fire, (no smoke yet that will be put in next). Been trying to move the lights around with little success. Would it be better to put a new light in and try to position that one? If there are any tutorials I would love a link. Thanks, Marque

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 11:32 AM

file_219699.jpg

This is what I get when I add a new one and move it around, not very good I'm afraid. Marque

RawArt ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 11:37 AM

If you have P6 one of the new "point" lights would do nicely I would think. Just put it in the middle of the flames and adjust its intensity till you like what you see.

jwiest ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 11:39 AM

I too could use a tutorial on placing/using lighting. Was trying to do a render of the Mil Dragon in it's free lair from DAZ, and with the lights outside the lair (or I assume that's the problem) I get a black render inside. Not sure how to go about actually seeing where the lights are located, etc.

John

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 11:55 AM

I have p6 and p5 was hoping to do this in pro pack. Can you refresh my memory on how to fix it if something is round instead of square in p5? Thanks, Marque

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 12:18 PM

This is cool, figured part of it out. When I get it right I'll let you know Jwiest. If you choose your light in pro pack you can change the properties there as well. Just have to drag the book out so I can figure out the Angle and Distance start and end. Marque

nerd ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 12:49 PM · edited Wed, 13 April 2005 at 12:50 PM
Forum Moderator

Once upon a time I made a "point" light for P4. It was a bunch of spots hooked to a prop. All the light controls were linked via EMC to the prop.

Very slow, very cumbersome, and very buggy. Which is why I never released it. But if you want to try it drop me an email and I'll see if I can find the file.

nerd@nerd3d.com Nerd3D <-- Can't spell

Message edited on: 04/13/2005 12:50

svdl ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 12:52 PM

Round object instead of square (only in the render, I assume): uncheck Smooth Polygons on the object property sheet. You could also uncheck Smooth Polygons in the render settings dialog, but that's a global setting and you might want to be able to smooth objects that should be round (like Victoria 2's shoulder). And about lighting setups if you don't have point lights: I usually use a set of 6 spotlights, 4 on the corners of a square around the fire, 1 above and 1 below. All with the same color, intensity settings, falloff settings, all pointing at the center of the fire. Works pretty well - and if you add smoke, the smoke will be lit up nicely too. I usually parent the lights to the fire prop.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Tiari ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 12:55 PM

I'm not sure where it is, but somewhere I found free something called "ultimate fire". it might be in the freebies section, but I dont know. It comes with a candle prop, but you can ignore that and just use the lights. The lights are set up to look like the glow of a fire. I'm sorry I dont remember where I got it though.

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 1:03 PM

Oh I forgot that product...I have it!!! Thanks. This is why I posted here so many ideas to recharge my aging brain...lol Marque

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 1:53 PM

file_219701.jpg

Grrrr, didn't buy the product and I could have swore I did but it's not in my purchase history. Guess I'll have to grab it. The free candle is pretty cool. Here is another quick render using the free prop. Thanks for the reminder on the smooth polygons, knew it was something simple! Marque

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 2:06 PM

Attached Link: http://fnproductions.net/graphics/tutorials/poser6

Head over to the AO and lighting issues....look for probe light.

Tirjasdyn

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 2:42 PM

Thanks! Marque

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.