Tue, Oct 22, 6:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: P6 and "Save" problem

genny ( ) posted Mon, 18 April 2005 at 3:38 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 6:47 AM

file_222905.jpg

After reading the threads here, I thought that you should save your Poser scenes, every now and then so as not to lose them in case of a crash. Well I did that, and when I re-opened it, after shutting down my computer, and opening P6, this is what I got. It says the file is there, but it is not visible and none of the characters are there? This happened at least 4 times, so I think that perhaps it is another bug?

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 18 April 2005 at 4:23 PM

I've had a similar problem. I think it's related to the memory bug, because sometimes I get a "running out of memory - save your work and restart." If you actually do that, of course, your file is nuked.

Usually when it happens to me, I can see the figures, props, etc., listed on the selection menu and in the hierarchy editor, but they're invisible.

ockham ( ) posted Mon, 18 April 2005 at 4:25 PM

What does the PZ3 file itself look like? Does it seem to have the usual stuff, or is it junk? Or does it appear to be cut off at some point?

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 18 April 2005 at 4:29 PM

I honestly wouldn't know. I generally don't look at pz3's.

Khai ( ) posted Mon, 18 April 2005 at 4:31 PM

has anyone tried saving it to a different file name?

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 18 April 2005 at 4:33 PM

Ockham - if you're wondering if this is the same problem that earlier versions of Poser occasionally had with DAZ figures...no, I think it's different. When that happens, the file size is notably smaller. With this, the file remains the same size.

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 18 April 2005 at 5:17 PM

Interesting. I tried saving to a different filename. It eliminated the "out of memory" error message, but did not bring back the missing items. However, the re-saved file is much smaller than the original. 330kb, as opposed to 2.6 Mb.

Scarab ( ) posted Mon, 18 April 2005 at 7:33 PM

So, is there a patch for this memory bug? I just had the same damned thing happen to me on a project I am working on and the damned thing nuked the program all the way down to zero Scarab

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 18 April 2005 at 7:35 PM

No patch yet. They are working as fast as they can. In the meantime, they recommend frequent incremental saves under different file names.

akura_ ( ) posted Mon, 18 April 2005 at 7:57 PM

Yes, I had something simular happen to me.

xantor ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 1:08 AM

Can the file be loaded into propack or poser 5?

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 6:23 AM

I'll be dipped. It does load into P5. Without the figure's morphs, of course. (Can't try in PP, because it uses multiple runtimes and dynamic hair and cloth.)

And after loading into P5, it works in P6. Even though I didn't save the file from P5. (And I have proof that the file was indeed screwed up: the "save to new filename" I did yesterday is still screwed up.)

I wonder if it's the hair and cloth sims that are the problem? Though I didn't save a new pz3 from P5, I played the animation, to see if it worked, and P5 seems to have written new hair and cloth sims to my hard drive.

svdl ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 6:50 AM

I've had this problem too, after trying to render at high quality settings. The render crashed. Opening in P5 worked - I lost all new material settings, of course. I didn't have dynamic cloth in the scene yet. Saved out under a new filename in P5, reopened in P6, fixed up the material and light settings, saved from P6, restarted P6, load and render. That worked.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 8:40 AM

I've had the "crash when I try to render" problem, and that was different. After restarting, I could open the file just fine in P6. Random textures were missing, but it opened fine.

I think this problem is related to cloth sims. When I open the file, I get a "out of memory" error message - every time. Even after a reboot. And entire props and figures are invisible. They're still in the file, judging from the hierarchy editor and the file size, but don't display.

genny ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 9:49 AM

All the files that did not save are 0 KB, but it appears to have saved pmd files for the pz3 files I was trying to save? I'm guessing that those are material files? I did not get an error message prior to saving so I really don't know what happened?

Khai ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 9:53 AM

PMD files are digital morph files ;)

genny ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 9:56 AM

Thanks for the info, Khai (: Now, I am wondering why it would save those but nothing else?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.