Mon, Sep 23, 6:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 6:09 am)

Subject: Fed Up....with P6

Robo2010 ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 8:56 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 6:27 AM

After I had P6 arrive at my door, I was able to do a few things with the program and that was about it. Since then, I been getting the program exit on me, memory errors, windowXP reboots, render stops half way. It is like my addiction of using Poser is fading away. I have not been able to do anything with Poser. I reinstalled the program, cleaned my runtimes (deleted), to start fresh. Render adjustments and the results are the same. I dunno if CL is working on a patch. I wish for updates, so I could relax. I do use shade to play with in the meantime. Although it lacks good tutorials (I want to do a house). Enough to get you started though and that is about it, and then you are on your own. My Computer specs are: WinXP (SP2) AMD Althon XP3200+ 2GB DDr Ram (PC3200 Duel Channel 400mhz) 160GB HD 80GB HD CD drives (2)

Khai ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 8:59 AM

hmm.. how much virtual ram you got? (swapfile)

cherokee69 ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 9:11 AM

That's odd. When P6 was finally delivered, I thought I was going tohave to upgrade my PC but instead, I installed it anyway just to see what would happen. So far, no problems at all. My computer specs are: Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222) 1.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP 512 Megabytes Installed Memory c: (on drive 0) 80.03 GB 14.73 GB free d: (on drive 1) 81.94 GB 32.82 GB free

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 9:17 AM

What video card you using, Robo?

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

akura_ ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 9:17 AM

I have no problems eccept the memory bug, so your not alone.

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 9:46 AM

My Computer specs are: WinXP (SP2) Celeron 2.49 GhHz 248 RAM 70GB HD 1 CD/RW 1 HD No problems so far except Euro skin texture in Face Room splits map. Once had weird OpenGL rendering but installed new driver and now I am fine. I do not do huge renders though. I'm sure this doesn't make you happy Robo but computers are a mystery... something weird in your OS install? Something wrong in the production burning of your Poser disc? 2Gb Ram an issue? Gremlins? Sorry.

Torulf ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 10:16 AM

How abut render the poser stuf in shade?

TG

Fazzel ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 10:17 AM

Robo2010, you need to tell us what kind of video card you are using and how recent your drivers for that card are. I have an Nvidia GeForce 5200, and Poser 6 had just the problems you describe on my computer. So I downloaded the most recent drivers from Nvidia's website, and now Poser 6 runs like a dream. I have yet to have it crash now, and I haven't even encountered the memory bug. Also people, when you give your computer specs, be sure to include what kind of vidio card you have.

Khai ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 10:19 AM

Windows has a 2GB Ram limit on All Applications. while it recognises 4GB - Only a max of 2GB will be given to an app at a time. When an app reaches 2GB then there can be a problem. Windows counts Real Ram + Virtual Ram towards the 2GB total.. Some ppl have had sucess by reducing their swapfile sizes to minimize the Ram total - Personally I've capped mine at 2000 + my 512mb real ram and I've had no probs.. your success may vary tho, but it is worth a try until the patch comes and yes. the Patch Is Coming.

fls13 ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 10:30 AM

Although it lacks good tutorials (I want to do a house). Sounds like you need a good modeling program.

Robo2010 ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 10:34 AM · edited Fri, 22 April 2005 at 10:35 AM

I have a Ati Radeon 9600xt. 128mb. My Page file is 3000mb

Message edited on: 04/22/2005 10:35

Robo2010 ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 10:43 AM

file_225565.JPG

Wondering about these now.

Fazzel ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 10:52 AM

Yeah, you might try enabling those setting just to see what happens. Not that familiar with ATI, it was several computers back since I have had an ATI. Do have the latest drivers though, that seems to be the big problem. With mine, I could load up Poser 6, but when I tried to open a scene or load a character, it would immediately exit. When I loaded the latest drivers, it worked perfectly.

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 10:58 AM

Shade has excellent tutorials...did you do the ones that came on the CD? Got to learn the basics ya know. More tutorials here: http://www.shaderscafe.com

Tirjasdyn

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 11:29 AM · edited Fri, 22 April 2005 at 11:30 AM

Outside of the awful memory bug, P6 is a diamond.

So long as I don't over-drive my RAM, P6 leaves P4/P5 choking on dust every time.

If CL can patch the memory bug -- P6 will be everything that Poser should have been all along. Poser 6 is already the pinnacle, aside from it's one glaring flaw.

Message edited on: 04/22/2005 11:30

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

JDexter ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 11:38 AM

I had lots of problems with P6 and my ATI card, enough that I almost shelved the card. Then someone suggested I use the Omega drivers instead of the native drivers and wow! It completely fixed any P6 issues I was having (and gave me some serious FPS in this online game I am playing to boot)

Anyway, it's worth a try. Get the Omega drivers from www.omegadrivers.net

JDexter

Katoran ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 11:54 AM

Cherokee69 - You're actually running P6 on Win98SE? I thought it was XP only. Did you have to tweak anything to get that to happen?

Torulf ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 12:02 PM

Did it work on win 2000?

TG

beachnut ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 12:07 PM

Gosh I'm sorry to hear that. I'm running an 2.8 Ghz Athlon with 512 MB RAM (So...it's a lesser computer than yours) the only difference is that I have the NVIDIA GeForce 4MX graphics card and it runs brilliantly. The only thing so far that stops my computer dead in it's tracks is dynamic hair.

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 12:12 PM

I have 1.5 Gb of RAM, and my swap file is set to 4096.

I'm willing to try lowing my swap file size. What should I set it to?

Or would it be better to go back to letting Windows create a dynamic swap file?

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 12:29 PM · edited Fri, 22 April 2005 at 12:34 PM

I still don't see that you've installed the latest Catalyst or Omega drivers for your video card.

@Cherokee69: As Katoran mentioned, how are you running the product on '98 SE?

Message edited on: 04/22/2005 12:34

Kristta ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 12:40 PM

I'm running P6 on a Win2000 and it runs like a dream. I've had the mem bug only once and it was fixed by simply changing the bucket size from 64 to 50. It slowed the render down very little. I still have not updated my drivers for my Radeon 9600 (it's nearly a year old) and I've had no problems with it. I also only have 512MB of RAM on my AMD 64 machine.

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 1:42 PM

Ok, part of your problem might be the ctalyst control center. Almost EVERYONE (except ATI) says to NOT download the driver version with the ati center, and ONLY download the drivers themselves. I tried the control center once, found some slower game performance, and dumped it after 1 day. (It maybe be trying to apply settings that should NOT be used with poser 6.) You'll need to download ati's remover utility to remove all the junk they installed, including the driver, and then install JUST the latest drivers available from thier website. Once you reboot, set your desktop size, and options you normally use, and then attempt P6.. this might clear it up. Actually it might clear up a LOT of ATI user's graphic issues, but I thought everyone knew to NOT use the ati control bloat center.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Khai ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 2:00 PM

Randy? I'd try a swap file of 512 - 1024. that caps the "total" ram to the 2GB / 2.5GB.. please try and lets us know if that works.. the indications I've been seeing / getting is, that this is the prob and a temp fix is to cap the memory that poser can access.. tho, as with everything it may not work.. but worth a try.

Dave-So ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 7:40 PM

I'm having a lot of problems as well, as Khai and a few others know. What's interesting, I had my virtual ram set to 3+gig to give me 4gig total. Reduced to 1024 = my 1 gig physical ram. I got an out of memory error, but then lowered the bucket size to 32 and was able to get out a render of 1 Jessi hires and 2 Eastern Dragons inside that Zygote room that comes with P6....but then another memory error. I'm also using an ATI 9600 video card with the control center...I'm going to blast that this evening and see what happens.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 7:44 PM

I tried it. Set my swap file, which has a partition of its own, to 512. Rebooted, fired up Poser 6, and tried to render a simple scene at the "finished" setting. (One M3, with conforming clothing and two props.) The same thing happened as before. An "out of memory" warning, then complaints that it can't find textures.

The only difference was the out of memory error message came much sooner. In a way, this was beneficial. It only nuked one texture (the figure's head texture). With a 4096 swap, it nukes a whole bunch of textures. Eyelashes, eyebrows, clothing, etc.

Other than that, it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Dave-So ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 8:05 PM

that weas an interesting thing...installed just the drivers...ran my 2 eastern drago, 1 jessi hires inside that zygoite building...out of memory error. Reduced buckt to 32..out of memory. Turned off texture filtering---its rendering now. this is with default lighting. adding that IBL or IBL AO kills it much quicker. I guess I'll wait for the patch and go back to P5.

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 8:09 PM

file_225567.JPG

Okay, I tried lowering the bucket size to 16. It rendered without any error messages...but it doesn't look right. It did something weird to the textures. It's like there's another texture, or a reflection map, applied over them.

I restarted Poser and opened the file again, to see if just setting the render settings to Final was enough to do this to the textures, but no. I looked in the material room, and the textures were fine. (After I rendered, the textures looked like this even in the material room.)

A recent image in my gallery shows how it's supposed to look.

FWIW, I have Radeon 9700 Pro with 128 Mb RAM. Drivers are the latest (no Catalyst).

cherokee69 ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 9:59 PM

file_225568.JPG

Katoran, TerraDreamer, I just rendered the above image in P6 without any problems. It was a little slow but this barn also bogged down Poser 4 PP. Along with P6, I also had a Rosity page loaded, Zone Alarm, ICQ, and Dr. Watson. By the way, my video card is an ATI Radeon 9200. The bard is one I created in Poser 4 PP...and only in Poser.

Robo2010 ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 11:33 PM

If your system runs ok, along with any other programs. Their is no need to go ahead and adjust things in your OS, just to make one program that has bugs in it to funtion better. That will have an effect on other programs. I will have to wait for the patch. I will do my best in poser for what it has now. I was really upset today after the causes I been getting. I guess this last half done render ticked me off. I am really not able to use P6 to its fullest or even partial. Nice renders cherokee69.

Khai ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 11:57 PM

erm actually.. this is not a purely Poser issue. it's actually a OS issue. until now, it's been rare for a program to reach the 2GB limit.. so I'd cut the guys some slack. they are working on a patch.. but tell ya the truth, I can understand them missing it if the testers did'nt have systems that would hit that limit.

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 23 April 2005 at 6:03 AM

They didn't miss it. They caught it, but decided to release P6 anyway. The schedule, you know.

(My boss has a cartoon posted, showing the space shuttle on the launch pad - upside down. A manager is telling an engineer, "Don't be coming to me with problems now. A schedule is a schedule!")

I'm sure this program will kick butt when the patch is released, but for now, I'm going back to P5, too.

sargebear ( ) posted Sat, 23 April 2005 at 8:45 AM

No problems with P6 here, ( mac user) G5,4 gigs of ram. 2.5 dual processor, renders come out great, and best of all no crashes, i would suggest either get more memory, or hey Buy a Mac G5.

Dave-So ( ) posted Sat, 23 April 2005 at 8:48 AM

Sargebear... you know what? If I had the bucks, I would buy a Mac in an instant. I used to be a gamer, big time, so a PC was pretty much a necessity, but I backed off that hobby, and only play once in a blue moon....so a Mac would be awesome.

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 23 April 2005 at 8:55 AM

Buying a Mac wouldn't help me. Python doesn't run properly on Macs. I wanna use P6 and PhilC's Clothing Creator, darn it. Is that asking too much?

Khai ( ) posted Sat, 23 April 2005 at 9:57 AM

Sargebear, getting MORE mem won't solve this. ok, here's what's needed. first, they need to program Poser to recognise when it hits the Windows RAM barrier and deal with it properly. I assume this is SR1. then it's a case of waiting for the 64 Bit windows. then the barrier will move from 2GB to 4GB. (hopefully with Poser handling that / SR2).

Dave-So ( ) posted Sat, 23 April 2005 at 10:03 AM

I bought my 64bit AMD over a year ago..hoping that the release of the new Windows would come about as anticipated..alas, nothing yet. plus does it really matter...are there any 64bit apps ? maybe MS is waiting for their release until the developers get some apps ready.... or maybe it is just a buggy mess.... whatever...I would just like to have a working copy of Poser 6..without having to reconfigure my entire system setup to run it.

Gareee ( ) posted Sat, 23 April 2005 at 10:24 AM

I never buy 1st generation new tech.. I always find 2nd generation new tech is about 1/2 the price, is more stable, and has software support at that time.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 23 April 2005 at 10:33 AM

Yeah, but...if we all did what you did, there would never be a 2nd generation for you to buy, would there?

cherokee69 ( ) posted Sat, 23 April 2005 at 11:06 AM

"getting MORE mem won't solve this." I sort of agree. Everyone that is having problems seems to have over 1GB of memory. I only have 512MB of memory and not having problems. Plus, I'm running it on Win98SE (see above messages by me).

momodot ( ) posted Sat, 23 April 2005 at 11:16 AM

I have the 248RAM 10 of which I think is display deidcated and I have no problem but sluggish performance when too many figure are in a scene. I do think my virtual memory is getting tied up requiring me to restart after using Poser if my drive is spinning tto much.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.