Tue, Oct 22, 12:56 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 12:41 am)

Subject: The Poser Universe is hooooow big?

hauksdottir ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 7:39 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:56 AM

This real universe may be somewhere between expansion and contraction, depending upon which cosmologist you follow, but our virtual world may also have a limit before everything crashes back in on itself. Normally if we want a background, we use props such as the infinity cove or cyclorama or square with a backdrop to give a sense of spatiousness, but that world is still only a few poser units deep. With the microcosm or a town set or props such as Serena's Island or various terrains, one can have a bit more room to work with, and a real irregular surface to collect shadows, but usually need to add some sky or distant landscape. I prefer working with terrains because they don't look as fake as a flat background. Has anybody determined what the absolute maximum size of the Poser universe is in PNUs? (or any other measurement?) Height as well as depth? Patricia is having crashes (I'm pulling this out into its own thread for more help): "Yes, I used a tiling prop, but I've forgotten whose it was and, way back then, you hadn't yet initiated me into the proper Poser canon wherein all DLed freebie props are carefully attributed to their creators. I found a black and white checkered floortile pattern, too, with lots of repeats, but it still required 20 of the props to give me enough distance." What I wonder is if she has gone beyond the edge of the universe that Poser can calculate... and it is dividing by an irrational number or or eating its tail or making tea instead of adding vast expanses of floor tile. So, how big is our world? Is it different with the different versions of Poser? Thanks! Carolly the Curious

EnglishBob ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 8:21 AM

file_226574.jpg

Recent correspondence suggests that Poser likes things big - when it comes to Firefly renders, anyway. But it's a good question. I made a plane 1,000,000 Poser / OBJ units on a side, using UVMapper. It imported and rendered fine in Poser 4, but I had to dolly back a bit to fit it all in. :) That DollyZ value is 2,000,000 by the way - it wouldn't all fit in the dial.

geep ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 9:00 AM

Um, ............................ I think I'll just watch this thread for now ...

Seems like everytime I mention "Scale", I get "inna deep doo-doo" <------- as NaySayGuy would say.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 9:02 AM

I seem to remember from a post a few months ago that Poser tends to break down and cry when something gets above 10,000 PNUs. I could be wrong but I have that number stuck in my mind for some reason.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Marque ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 9:13 AM

Well doc I look at it this way....you can chime in any time, you have a right to say what you like about scale and the folks who don't agree have a right to their say. Please don't ever let anyone keep you from saying what you like here. As long as you stay within the tos I will be checking out your tutorials AND your comments. 8^) Marque

Nance ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 9:16 AM

file_226575.jpg

In P4, with 20x20 tiled square prop, was able to translate minus Z value of 1E+33 (10 with 32 zeros after it).

However Scale dial limits balked at larger than 100,000,000,000, (see pic) so could not scale up prop large enough to see, but Poser rendered the scene anyway.

Did not find limit on Z-trans dial, but I stopped when could not see prop in renders anymore

Nance ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 9:18 AM

(but the real answer to how large is the Poser universe, is 21" inches diagonal) up next... How many Posettes on the head of a pin?

geep ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 9:29 AM

@ Marque .......... Thanks ... Um, what's "tos"? .... The Other Side ??? ;=]

@ Nance ........ Dag nab it all !!! ... I wish you hadn't "axed" that question ... now NaySayGuy is off trying to count 'em and he keeps sticking his fingers with the pin. I tried to tell him that it was the other end of the pin, but will he listen ... NOOOOOOooooooo..........! ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Ian Porter ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 10:02 AM

Hmmm, Q: What is the smallest object that can exist in the Poser world and still render? (probably a cube of some 0.000....x each side) Q: Is it possible to use displacement/bump maps on the tiny object to add detail? Ian

Ian Porter ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 10:10 AM · edited Mon, 25 April 2005 at 10:22 AM

To answer my own question in part.

I guess the smallest object doesn't need to be a cube, a flat plane should render, so one dimension of the object can be 'zero'.

Another question though... This tiny object is comparable to what in real world terms, in relation to Posette? A gnat? A molecule?

Message edited on: 04/25/2005 10:22

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 10:26 AM

As a programmer, I would imagine that the 'Poser universe' is limited by the 'Universal Constant' - 32-bit floating point minimum and maximum values.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

ynsaen ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 10:44 AM

While I can't say what the true is, I can say, from practical experiments in the creation of something that functions as a sky dome in all four versions of poser at present and is sufficient to support medium scale terrain sets such as (thank you) Sereia's Island, that the effective practical limit is about 10,000. From that point, depending on the scale and trans setting ss of the camera, the rendering settings, and the version of poser, rendering becomes problematic. This is especially true of the somewhat more complex camera capabilites of P6, although, in the end, the difference between using something such as the cyclorama and that wonderful island set becomes really apparent as the full capability of the various rendering settings and material settings comes into play. There is also, as I noted about a year ago, an interesting quirk in 5/6 regarding the size of the spheremap node and the reflective capabilities of it that applies only to firefly. Beyond that Pragmatic and arbitrary distance, it is about half of what kuroyume0161 stated :D (little less, for some reason). That said, I'm currently at work on a commercial involving the mil dragon and a floating mountain chunk that's being rendered from about 30,000 PNU's just to fully capture the whole scene.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 10:51 AM · edited Mon, 25 April 2005 at 10:52 AM

forgive the sudden entry of common sense, but the limits are your field of vision..;) I mean, what would be the point of putting Posette 200 miles away if she doesn't render?..;) I suppose you could actually do some backgrounds of galaxies taken by the Hubble Space Telescope, and claim the backgrounds 'x to the 10 to the googly squat' (not a real number, btw) light years (same as regular years, just less calories..;).

While the Poser universe may be bound by the rate of universal expansion times the actual time of expansion since the big bang (i.e., 42..;) the window on your screen is as big as yer gonna see it..;) have fun..
oh, and as for how many Posettes can dance on the head of a pin..you want that with or without crosstalk?..;)

Message edited on: 04/25/2005 10:52

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Countach ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 11:01 AM

I've found that the polygons slit apart when I move a figure more than 3 miles from the center. I can't remember how many PNU's that comes out to.

geep ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 11:07 AM

re: " ... you want that with or without crosstalk?"

Um, NSG sez he'd like to know it both ways.

;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 11:11 AM

@ Countach,

FYI - 3 miles is 1,900.8 Pnu's. .................................... (using DGS of course) ;=]

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 11:12 AM

w/o crosstalk...1.
w/ crosstalk..as many as need to..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

geep ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 11:23 AM

Ok, ok, so I forgot to include the "other" ones ..... sheeesh ! ;=[

3itch, 3itch, 3itch!

Here they are: Using P5's real world scale, 3 miles would be 1,980 Pnu's.
Using DGS real world scale, 3 miles would be 1,900.8 Pnu's.
Using P6's real world scale, 3 miles would be 1,841.9 Pnu's.

Gosh, .......... can't get away with nuthin' anymore.
wanders away grumbling to self

cheers, (anyway) dr geep ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 11:24 AM

@ pakled .... thanks, will convey the data to NSG. Goodness only knows what he will do with it though. ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

ghelmer ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 11:29 AM

Hey geep, >>>>"Um, what's "tos"? "The Outright Sillyness" It's a concept to feign Political Correctness whilst pandering to the lowest common denominator of group mind control practises. ;) G

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

geep ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 11:43 AM

Ah, thanks G for eschewing that obfuscation. ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Patricia ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 12:20 PM

Gads, I've MISSED you guys! LOL I'm off to try a sloppy test render of one of the scene files that's chipping years off of my lifespan at the moment. It may take a bit--I have a cat that may need a vet vi$it any moment now, but I'll try to get something up by this evening so you can see the extent of my humongous expanse of tiling floor props....(and only half of the props are in place at present--the original, oft-crashed version had an entire ruined building half-submerged in the floor--! Pat

mylemonblue ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 12:59 PM

Scientists today anounced that the dust build up found inside computers may not be dust particles at all. It seems under the electron microscope scans the micron sized particles in many computers actualy have a human shape. After extensive research and analysis they have been identified as posettes. Since it is also known that poser figures import into other applications at a micron level of scale scientist have now concluded that it is a build up of posettes misplaced during episodes were Poser runs out of memory and has no place else to put them... :)

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

Patricia ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 1:10 PM

LOL So THAT'S why my new iMac runs so much faster than my last one?! Pat PS Maybe jealosy between Posette and my new Lily character based on V3 is at the root of my recent crashes, too...hmmmmm

geep ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 1:25 PM

Posette doesn't get jealous ................ she gets even. ;=[
(at least that's what my Posette does - just ask NSG)
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.