Mon, Sep 9, 6:13 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: need advice on becoming a merchant

rdf ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 3:22 PM · edited Wed, 28 August 2024 at 12:22 AM

I am by experience a tech writer, graphic artist and computer programmer. Though I've never seriously considered it before (and am anything but a Poser expert) I've gradually come to realize those skills might be appropriate to at least think about becoming a merchant. I have Poser, and can do a bit with ZBrush and Photoshop. I also have some compilers around. What I don't really have is the techie stuff. What I'm wondering is if some around here might offer their advice as to what resources (for learning and otherwise) might be the most useful for someone in my position. Also, what areas, in your opinion, have been neglected?, i.e., when it comes to Poser, what sorts of products do you feel are lacking or could use more emphasis? Python scripts? Supplimentary utilities for managing scenes, files, or whatever? Certain types of models? What? Thanks much.

nomuse ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 4:03 PM

Advice? 1) Do what you love -- don't try to do it for the money. 2) Learn the program you are creating content for. Learn it well. As for what the great undeveloped areas are at Renderosity; pretty much any program that isn't Poser could stand to have more support. On the Poser side (the larger part of Renderosity), skin textures and character sets should by all rights be a saturated market. It is still possible to make a go there, though. What I find more people talking about, though, is fuller support for the new(er) functions of P5 and P6; light sets, dynamic clothing, strand hair; animation scripts that take some of the grunt-work out and put emergent behavior in (flocking behavior in Python, anyone? We've already had genetic posing algorithms!) Since you are a programmer, yeah, there are still difficulties in organizing, converting, displaying content. One large hole right at the moment is a lack of a PC to Mac converter that is OS-X native. Pity the Mac is considered a smaller market; we could use a lot of new utilities over there (an equivalent to The Tailor, for instance). And for the more ordinary meshes, the majority of material is still modern-sleazy (not to point any fingers; heck, I buy a lot of that myself!) I hear people crying out for more fantasy, historical (particularly accurate historical), SF that isn't all bikinis and bubble helmets. Personally, I'd like to see more of a nod towards the many vibrant cultures of the world, and not so much of the generic westernized look, fantastic or not. Just a few yen worth of thoughts.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 4:16 PM

Can't help you with the merchant part, but as for items... stuff for SP3 are lacking.... character addons, clothing textures, new clothing items, hair and hair textures. V3 is great, but she's way over done and has way more pretty things than SP3 does.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

nomuse ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 4:48 PM

A possibly great unexploited area for Poser content is natural settings; actual 3d dirt and trees. Some smart person has to figure out how to create and package a natural landscape, integrated presumably with backdrop props, so it works smoothly in Poser. Not all users want to go through the effort and expense of transporting their Poser figures into Vue or Bryce et al -- and not all Poser users are comfortable with flat backgrounds and imported photographs, either.

vilian ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 4:48 PM

And some support for male figures would be welcomed too...

Outdated gallery over at DeviantArt

Fics at FanFiction.net and Archive of Our Own (AO3)

geoegress ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 5:28 PM

"Also, what areas, in your opinion, have been neglected?, " Anime is killing Poser. The cutest clothing outfits and some of the best skilled modelers have taken away and stoped makeing for the humanistic characters to the point of neglect!!! Conversion kits/ Magnet sets might sell, maby. lol Or just get the clothing modelers to make Vicky versions.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 5:48 PM

One thing you may want to do is to build whatever you decide on as free stuff, and give it away for awhile before selling anything. This will give you an idea of what works, of the process of building stuff for sale, and you can get a ton of decent feedback on how good the work is if it is that good. Just a thought... /P

rdf ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 5:48 PM

thanks for the feedback so far ... please feel free to keep it coming ... ! > 1) Do what you love -- don't try to do it for the money nomuse, I'm pretty much a 5-year-old when it comes to the process. I simply like to create stuff I think is cool but it's always nice if others think so too, and doubly nice if they think so enough to pay me a little for it

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 6:28 PM
  1. Restating what Peng said, do freebies first. Build up your skill, and eventually a good reputation. 2) Don't do it for money or fame. You probably won't get much of either, especially not at first. 3) Look at what's in the market now. See that stuff? Don't do that. I can already get that. Make something new.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 6:41 PM

In my experience, it's one thing to be innovative and yet another to convert that to sales. I've made 3 texture packs for sale so far, plus one in collaboration with an established merchant. My first one was for Andygraph's Cyborg; I put a hell of a lot of work into it and it sold next to nothing. My second one was for Neftoon Gal, and that also sold next to nowt. My third one was for V3, and although it sold better than the other two, the appeal wasn't wide enough to make great sales. The collaborated pack is a steady seller; not great but we sell a few every once in a while. My experience so far is that the effort expended doesn't equate to a fair reward for the work, which is why I would advocate going for mass appeal. That's not to say you should sacrifice quality, but take an honest look at what is likely to sell. You don't have to make vapid looking crack ho's or pouty girls with huge norks, but you should at least make the characters attractive and usable in a wide variety of situations. I'm learning this the hard way and I intend to make my next pack much more across the board appealing. IMO, texturing can be a huge pain in the arse but if you're up to it, give it a whirl. Same things apply if you're creating meshes, too. What's the point in making something that nobody wants, or they could put together themselves with a few Poser primitives - and I've seen some of those, too.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

byAnton ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 10:23 PM

Attached Link: Bloodsong's Book

A must have. The best resource of it's kind ever compiled.

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

Chris ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 4:21 AM

I agree with Anton ... the book is a great resourse. @Anton Good to see you posting again here. I was a bit irritated by your new Nick :) Anyway ... great to have you back ;) Greets Chris

"It Is Useless To Resist!" - Darth Vader

byAnton ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 5:09 AM

lol. Why? After 7 years I have used up all the other variations. :) I keep moving and forgeting passwords. :)

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

Chris ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 5:12 AM

heh ... thats why I'm using the same password since 7 years ;) greets Chris

"It Is Useless To Resist!" - Darth Vader

rdf ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 2:11 PM

Thanks for the book reference, byAnton. I'd heard of it before, but was curious as to whether anyone would recommend it. And thanks to all.

nomuse ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 3:33 PM

I would. You will need to know a bit about Poser first -- BL's book is not for the newbie. But once you passed that first hurdle, it is THE reference to keep around as you hack cr2's in text editors, create body handles and rig ERC functions...

rdf ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 10:12 PM

Do you know if it is as valid for Poser 6 as for 5?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.