Thu, Sep 19, 9:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:20 pm)

Subject: need Jeanie hair from 3dcommune

logansfury ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2005 at 4:20 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 9:34 PM

Hello everyone, I was going thru the 3dcommune freebies, and found the Jeanie hair for Posette by ktaylor. I followed the links to the download page, but unfortunately, Jeanie hair was one of the two items removed from the page due to space constraints. Ive checked the readme's on the available hairs that I downloaded from the same page by same artist. There are no restrictions on redistribution mentioned at all. Ive already contacted the creator but am still awaiting email response. If anyone has this freebie, could you please check your readme, confirm the lack of redistribution denial, and toss that zip file my way? Thanks for reading, Logan

Francemi ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2005 at 5:02 PM

This is what he says in his readme file for Jeanie Hair: ... This model MAY NOT be sold. Disclaimer: I am in NO WAY responsible for damages that may occur to any electronic equipment during the use of these models. Hope you enjoy this model. I welcome input, comments,or even suggestions for improvements. Feel free to create new textures for this model and post them as a freebie. Happy Rendering! Mylochka If someone could tell me if that means I have the right to give the file to you, I will gladly do so. France

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2005 at 5:08 PM

I'm not copyright expert, but it says it can't be sold, it doesn't say anything about not being able to give it away. But then again, it doesn't say it can be redistributed either. So that can be interpreted in a couple ways: redistribute by exclusion do not redistribute by exclusion. Personally I'd wait until I heard from Mylochka on this.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

logansfury ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2005 at 6:13 PM

Ive gotten back a reply from Mylochka, indicating that ill be sent the file tomorrow (no access to it today) ill ask about the redistribution wishes while im waiting :)

logansfury ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2005 at 6:16 PM

oh and France thanks for the willingness to help and the respect for the modeller of the freebie :)

Francemi ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2005 at 6:39 PM

You're welcome Logan. Anytime. If I can be sure the creator is ok with it. ;o) France

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2005 at 7:24 PM

It's a cute hairstyle. Wish she would put it back up. I wouldn't mind downloading it myself as I have the others from her site. I find that hair is hair and it can be tweaked enough (in most cases), to fit pretty much any figure. I'm a huge fan of "I Dream of Jeannie"

Francemi ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2005 at 9:25 PM

I downloaded all these hair packages only a few weeks ago. It seems I did it just in time! ;o)

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

cooler ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2005 at 11:21 PM

Just by way of being the resident wet blanket, a readme must specifically say that redistribution is permitted. You can't assume permission in absence. Think of it in terms of this scenario... Parents go out for the evening & jokingly tell the kids, "Now don't set the house on fire while we're gone". Does that mean they can burn the garage down?

logansfury ( ) posted Mon, 02 May 2005 at 12:13 AM

"Just by way of being the resident wet blanket, a readme must specifically say that redistribution is permitted. You can't assume permission in absence." That makes complete sence when I think about it. I do wish however that more readmes were more explicit about this. Either a "share this with anyone that may like it, just keep the contents and readme intact" or a "please dont redistribute, give anyone interested the homepage URL" or something similar. I can fully understand freebie creators that enjoy tracking the usage of thier gifts thru limiting thier distribution to a server they can monitor. I always wonder though, how many modellers that have passed away, or left the communtiy, or lost servers, that intended that thier freebies get as much distribution as possible, have thier items get a lot less use than they might all due to a generic readme that doesnt cover redistribution. Yanno what would be cool, but I havent the faintest idea where to suggest it: An updated set of "freebie readme templates" for the commuity that comes in two flavors, share or dont :) Ill bet it would get a lot more freebies more circulation than they currently enjoy!! Thanks for the clarification cooler!! Logan

cooler ( ) posted Mon, 02 May 2005 at 1:05 AM

Logan, In an ideal world every readme would be written is crystalline clear plain English :-). However you have to understand there are a couple of problems that crop up... 1) English may be the lingua franca of a large portion of the internet but for a lot of people it's, at best, a second language. 2) Not only the words themselves but the concepts behind them require understanding. There was one freebie producer who put a "non-commercial" restriction on his stuff. All he wanted to do was stop someone from selling his models but instead had prevented people from using them in renders they wanted to sell. Fortunately his English was somewhat better than my Japanese & we managed to fix it. As to a "boilerplate" readme. It's been discussed before. The problem it's not just a matter of share/don't share, there are as many shades of grey as there are freebie makers. Just some of the possible headers of the "free share" category are daunting... free share free share use commercially free share use commercially but ask me first free share don't use commercially free share but ask me first free share but include this readme

Francemi ( ) posted Mon, 02 May 2005 at 3:57 AM

Logan, I am reintalling all my Poser files at this moment (and will be doing so for a few months I'm afraid). When I see something I truly like, I send an email to the creator to ask permission to use for commercial renders. From the moment I started doing that, I started asking for each new freebie I download if it is not clearly written in the readme file. That way, in a few years if I want to use such and such freebie, I will have the reply on file. You could do that too for redistribution?

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

Francemi ( ) posted Mon, 02 May 2005 at 3:59 AM

Cooler, thank you for explaining that. That's what I thought and that's why I replied as I did to Logan but I prefer to see it explained clearly. France

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

queri ( ) posted Mon, 02 May 2005 at 1:59 PM

"free share free share use commercially free share use commercially but ask me first free share don't use commercially free share but ask me first free share but include this readme" Could still do this with a checklist and let the freestuff monitor compile it. [just a matter of deleting what wasn't checked] I know that's more work for unpaid monitors, but then the desires of the creators might be clear. Then again, faced with a huge page of checklists some people might throw up their hands and toss the freebie away. I've noticed there's a certain lack of patience that seems to be genetically linked to poserdom ;) Emily

logansfury ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 2:01 AM

Mylocha has sent me the jeanie hairstyle, and graciously also sent me the other hair file that was removed for space constraints. As I mentioned in #4, I did inquire about redistribution: "Also, in your freebie hair readme's there is no mention of redistribution rights. Im aware that the readme prohibits attempting to sell your item, but what are your wishes regarding if one member of the Poser community has the complete unaltered .zip file including your readme, and another does not (like me) but wants it and cannot find it online any longer? Can that first member send an unaltered copy of the .zip to the member that doesnt have it, or do you prefer anyone wanting either of your 2 freebies that have been removed from the download site to contact you directly for the file?" Mylocha's verbatum response included with the .zip files was: "Yes. You have my permission to give the .zip file to someone else who wants it." So as far as this particular freebie is concerned, who wants :) Logan

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 2:38 AM

Ohhh! I would :) I sent you a PM with my email address. Thank you for asking her about that :)

Francemi ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 8:03 AM

Logan, I don't need the hair as I have them all but I would appreciate if you could send me the text file where she says that about redistribution. Because in a few months, I won't remember that I am allowed to redistribute. ;o)

I would like you to zip the text file or send me the smallest zipfile that includes the text file.

My address is francemi @ gmail.com

Thanks.

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

macdubhgal ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 11:53 AM

Very generous of you logansfury! Thanks for the offer! I have PM'ed you with a request. Thanks again!!

logansfury ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 12:32 PM

heya France, would you like me to forward you the email response that includes my request about distribution, or do you prefer that I cut/paste the email into a text file and send as a seperate attachment? Im happy to do either :) macdubhgal, your zip is on the way!

Francemi ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 12:57 PM

Forward me the email, please.

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

logansfury ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 1:03 PM

its forwarded :)

Francemi ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 1:19 PM

Got it. Thanks. ;o)

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

macdubhgal ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 2:07 PM

Got it logan!! Thank you SO much!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.