Sun, Oct 6, 8:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: *HELP-URGENT* (OT) Graphics card starts up in VGA mode......

turner ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 1:41 PM ยท edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 10:05 PM

Hello I hope someone here can help. I have just received a new graphics card (for a PC), a 6800 LE(work computer). Everything was fine until I started to click on boxes that I proberbly shouldn't have. Now when I start my comp, everything is black. (I'm using my home PC to write this) The computer starts as normal but when it should say 'log in' it stays black. It looks as though it boot up ok. I think the card is starting up in VGA mode (if this is possible) Just before the comp starts up, on the top of the screen it says '6800LE VGA' I've tried to start up in safe mode but this doesn't help. I can't start up from the NVidia drivers disk to reset the graphics to default or anything. Any ideas? (hope so) turner

SoulTaker ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 1:46 PM

have you tryed the old card again?

turner ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 1:49 PM

I'll try that tomorrow if I can't get the new one working again. turner

destro75 ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 1:57 PM

The card can start up in VGA mode, which is actually what you want right now. Something is wierd though, if you cannot enter Safe Mode. You should be able to boot into safe mode regardless of problems, in VGA mode. Do you have a Windows boot disk? If so, then boot from that. You will want to enter Safe Mode, so you can reset the graphics card to VGA, then reinstall the drivers.

dav8d ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 4:05 PM

Safe mode uses VGA graphics mode, so I agree there is something systemic going on at the Windows level. Just to see if there is a ghost in the machine try to switch back to the old card or the default video-out on your mother board. If this makes no difference then you have a Windows problem. You may have to reinstall Windows which could lose a lot of your files. If switching video cards DOES help then you either have a bad card or a bad driver. In that case I would use a separate computer to visit the web site of the graphic card manufacturer. Find the latest driver for your version of Windows and put it on a floppy. With that in hand, see if you can load the new driver from VGA mode. You may also want to power down, open your computer and "reseat" the card. This just means to make sure your card is securely locked into the spot.

lesbentley ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 4:10 PM

There is usually a setting in the BIOS setup screen that determins wether the PC will use VGA mode, but I have a suspision this may not be the problem. Pressing the Delete key in the second screen will enter BIOS setup in most computers, though some use a diffrent key.

nickedshield ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 4:22 PM

I tend to go with what dav8d said about seating the video card. Sometimes the bracket of the card is off just a fraction so it doesn't allow proper seating. Disconnect the monitor, take the screw out of the mountin bracket. Reseat the card. Hook up the monitor. Now look at the mounting bracket hole alignment. It should be perfectly aligned. If not you will have to loosen the screw that holds the bracket to the board, hold the boad while tightening the mounting bracket so it doesn't move. I just went through that with a newer chassis.

I must remember to remember what it was I had to remember.

turner ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 5:21 PM

Cheers all, I'm going to have a busy day tomorrow ;) turner

nakamuram ( ) posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 11:05 PM

Did you remember to plug a Molex (hard drive) power connector into the card?

turner ( ) posted Wed, 04 May 2005 at 5:41 AM

Fixed it!! Only lost 1 days worth of work. Had to re-install/repair xp pro and re-install graphics drivers. I'm honestly so relieved.... thanks for all your replies. :) turner

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.