Thu, Oct 3, 6:16 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Explanation of animation keys in Poser file?

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2004 at 12:00 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 4:10 AM

I'm looking for information on what these keywords mean (guesses in parentheses) and what others are available: sl 1 (spline linear TRUE) spl (spline) con (constant) br (spline break) sm (smooth spline?) Haven't seen any others, but seems that there are other choices for some of these. Thanks, Kuroyume

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

jupiterkris ( ) posted Tue, 30 November 2004 at 7:35 AM

Linear starts a linear extrapolated segment . Spline starts a spline segment . Break splits a spline segment into 2 independant spline segments . Constant straightens the segment . Don't know about the others ?

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2005 at 6:55 PM

Here's what I have so far - determined: ****** spl|lin|con spl = spline lin = linear (a straight line between this key and next) con = constant (value does not change from this key until the next) ****** br|sm br = break spline sm = smooth spline Why they didn't just have 'br' or nothing is beyond me. ****** sl N No idea still. Can't find a way to change it from the standard "sl 1" that always appears. So far, I've guessed as linear spline and loop interpolation, but these don't pan out. I can't find it again, but think that I've encountered a line such as "sl 0.5" which would indicate a real value between 0 and 1. For what? I don't know... Solutions welcomed! Thanks

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

lesbentley ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 4:32 AM

I have no idea what the 'sl' line does either. The rest of your interpritation seems to be correct. The 'Loop' setting is NOT saved to pz3, or pz2. I am quite certain of this in P4, and though I have not tested this in other versions, I suspect the same holdes true. It's interesting to note that there are 'loopStart' and 'loopEnd' lines in the 'movieInfo' section of the pz3. If, for example, you set 'loopStart 5' and 'loopEnd 7, Poser will only play k frames 5 through 7, irrespective of wether 'Loop' is set on or off. Also note that these will display in the interface as frames 6 through 8. In library files the k frame numbers start at 0, but in the interface 'k 0' is represented as frame 1. P.S. I just added the above trivia because I have nothing really usefull to say.

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 10:48 AM

Besides that one odd line that I've seen before, every file that I scanned had "sl 1" and it always appears if there are these other values included with the key. In the Poser 'dump' file that someone produced (can't remember the chap who did it), it has "sl %g" which indicates that sl has a real (floating point) argument. That fits in with "sl 0.5", but changing sl in the PZ3 file doesn't seem to change anything in Poser (and the changed value is saved right back out without modification). My hypothesis: sl is another archaic parameter still saved to file but which has no real purpose anymore. Thanks for the trivia, lesbentley. :) Yes, I had already noticed that looping is stored in the movieInfo section only, but it is interesting that the file setting overrides the user setting.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

lesbentley ( ) posted Sun, 08 May 2005 at 10:09 AM

Perhaps it is an archaic parameter, but people have a tendency to call anything they don't understand an archaic parameter. I have herd this said of 'clearFigureKeys' which if fact (contrary to what the name sugests) adds frames to a document.

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Sun, 08 May 2005 at 10:47 AM

Right, but you can see the effect (and I'd realized its purpose while working on my ASL animated hand pose set). When something is both not understood and has no apparent effect whatsoever - that makes the qualification 'archaic' seem more likely. :0)

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.