Mon, Oct 21, 5:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Licensing question.

Jcleaver ( ) posted Sun, 08 May 2005 at 9:22 AM ยท edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 8:10 AM

I upgraded my Vue 5 Esprit to Infinite. I know I am not allowed to put Infinite on both my main PC and my laptop. So, does anyone know if it is OK to put Vue 5 Esprit on my laptop, or is Vue 5 Esprit not usuable by me since it was used to do the upgrade?

agiel ( ) posted Sun, 08 May 2005 at 9:27 AM

Technically, you are not allowed to install Vue 5 on another machine now that you have Vue Infinite. However, it is accepted to leave Vue 5 installed where it is for compatibility reasons.

Jcleaver ( ) posted Sun, 08 May 2005 at 9:44 AM

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just have to use Bryce on my laptop then.

war2 ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 8:30 AM

you are allowed to have v5I installed on your laptop and main pc (atleast on your work and home pc and no this is not based on my opinion, its based on a public e.on reply in their own forum)

Jcleaver ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 11:27 AM

Hmmm. I guess I misread the EULA that seemed to state it clearly that it was not allowed. I'll have to double check. It would be great if so!

bruno021 ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 12:39 PM

I mailed e-on about the same issue I have, I wanted to move Vue5 Pro Studio to my laptop, and install my Infinite sidegrade on my PC. Their answer was: no problem, this is allowed, since you don't have more than one version of the same product in any of your network.

Jcleaver ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 1:59 PM

I went to e-on's website and looked in the knowledgebase. There, they say you can install V5Inf on both a PC and a laptop.

bruno021 ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 4:20 PM

Well, I doubt it. Their answer to me was quite clear: one software bought for one machine, 2 machines need 2 softwares bought.

war2 ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 5:52 PM

yes but just as jcleaver has noticed (and i mentioned) e.on has publicly stated that you can have v5I installed on both a pc and laptop, so doubt it if you want its their words not ours. So either they view v5I and v5epro differently (which i dont understand) or they have just realised that a big portion of their users do use vue on their desktop pc but would also like to be able to use it on their laptop while traveling or working, of course e.on could be oldfashioned and stick to their old buy it one more time policy and piss of their userbase or just adapt to the day of age that we do live in and allow one purchase to be used on one desktop and one laptop (which they seem to have done considering both me and jcleaver and i asume several others have seen the publicly made statement by e.on (if it was just me i could have been delusional :P). Now this isnt something weird or strange, in fact almost all the companies i purchase software from allows you today to have it installed on 2 computers. then again instead of doubting us why dont you just visit e.ons website and do a search for that statement and ask them whats going on.

agiel ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 6:22 PM

Maybe the difference comes from what you are going to do with these two versions. If you have Vue 4 on a laptop and upgrade to Vue Infinite on a desktop as your primary machine, it is accepted that you will have two versions installed but oly one you are going to use a lot. If you are going to use both versions equally, one when you are away a lot, and one when you are home the I imagine e-on may have a problem with that.

Jcleaver ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 7:00 PM

Attached Link: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/Support/ShowMessage.php?id=1111766197&stage=-1&chooseCategoryPag

I have attached the link to the knowledgebase article, for any who cares. It seems pretty clear, unless John Canver isn't an E-On spokesman.

agiel ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 7:15 PM

Good to know, although I did read the EULA and it IS more restrictive than that : one computer per installation. I guess it confirms my interpretation above - as long as you primarily use only one version on one computer, and occasionally another version on another computer, you should be fine.

bruno021 ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 8:15 PM
Jcleaver ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 8:35 PM ยท edited Mon, 09 May 2005 at 8:36 PM

This is getting interesting! Seems Mr Canver is saying two different things. I just posted a question asking for clarification.

Reading the EULA, it does specifically say you can only install on one PC though. So I expect that the answer I linked to is wrong.

But, it is good to know that I can install my Vue 5 Esprit on my laptop.

Message edited on: 05/09/2005 20:36

war2 ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 11:27 AM

well the difference might be in the application. v5I is more expensive and targeting people that do real work with their 3d applications and they are used to being able to use their software on both the lap and desktop as where v5e and v5epro target group is home/ocasional users, but well know soon enough. And not to forget here, even if e.on do allow you to have v5I installed on your desk and laptop that doesnt mean that your "friend/girlfriend/relative" can have it installed on one computer and you on the other one.

Jcleaver ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 11:54 AM

I did get clarification from John Canver. He stated that it is permissable to install on both Desktop and laptop; as long as you don't run them at the same time.

Phantast ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 11:57 AM

This is normal practice with practically any software; and only fair.

Jcleaver ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 12:02 PM

I agree. It is just that the EULA doesn't seem to say you can. If it hadn't been for another post to this thread, I never would have thought it permissable; which is why I searched the knowledgebase at E-On. Most software allows this now. With an exception being Mojoworld Pro 3, amoung others I'm sure.

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 1:03 PM

Now I see War2 is toning down a bit. That's good, since his/her first reply was quite rude to me.

war2 ( ) posted Wed, 11 May 2005 at 4:52 AM

Well you might have thought i was rude but that wasnt the case bruno what i said was that instead of doubting us check it up with e.on, actually claiming you doubt what someone is telling you when they are letting you know that the person that did say it was from e.on is arguably more rude since that implies that you think the persons are lying. then again i dont take offence over your posts but that was why you got the reply you got + users debating over whats legit/allowed or not is a moot point when its completely up to the company in question. In the end tho we can all be happy since e.on clarified that v5I users can have one purchased vue copy on both their lap and desktop just aslong as they arent actively used at the same time.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.