Tue, Oct 22, 4:17 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 20 11:30 am)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: My first Wings 3D "Model"

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 2:25 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 1:52 AM

Attached Link: Adamites .mats

file_235879.jpg

It's just the little "cage" around the sphere. Yeah, I know, WAY simple, but I have never really tried modeling a poly face ever in my life! So, these are obviously just stupid, tiny baby steps, but at least I'm finally trying to learn how to dance with Wings 3D. I'll go back and practice my beveling with this, make it more techie looking. Inner sphere .mat is Adamites of course, and is always available in the backroom. AgentSmith

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 2:26 AM

file_235880.jpg

Just the model. Obviously, just a poly face tweak on a sphere, but I'm slowly learning the tools. AS

Dann-O ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 2:41 AM

Ineresting model. The real trick is makign somethign that exists in real life. Wings has a great toolset and the price can't be beat.

The wit of a misplaced ex-patriot.
I cheated on my metaphysics exam by looking into the soul of the person next to me.

Kemal ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 2:42 AM · edited Mon, 09 May 2005 at 2:45 AM

I knew that U gonna do it, good job on it sir, welcome to the world of Sub-D surfaces !!! :P What happend to Z-Brush, BTW ??? :D

Message edited on: 05/09/2005 02:45

Zhann ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 2:56 AM

Wouldn't want to do a tut on this simple but elegant sphere would you?...please...?

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 2:59 AM · edited Mon, 09 May 2005 at 3:03 AM

ZBrush - Still going to learn it.

My learning 3D "plans" hinge on my daily schedule which had become too much, but now fortunately, its just down to being "f-ing busy!!", lol.

AS

Message edited on: 05/09/2005 03:03

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 3:02 AM

Attached Link: Tutorial

No reason to write a tutorial, it's already written. ;o) If its easy enough for me to follow...anybody can do it. Tutorial by David Brinnen. AS

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 3:05 AM

With the one I made, I had sub-divided the sphere twice BEFORE working on it, so I would have more faces to work with. AS

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 3:10 AM

file_235882.jpg

The pattern of face selecting I did in Wings3d , prior to "intruding" it. AS

danamo ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 3:11 AM

Interesting.

shinyary2 ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 4:43 AM

Very interesting and much better than my first attempt (which you can see over on the Wings forum if you are interested). I have TrueSpace, and actually (after playing with both for a little while) have decided I like Wings better for modeling. Bryce is my rendering application so I don't worry about rendering (it's better than TrueSpace3 at least).

alexsm ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 6:35 AM

Interesting tut :)

herbicide ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 7:24 AM

Hmmm, I think I'll be following that one tonight...

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 8:24 AM

no,no,no..you're supposed to start not knowing anything..not already ahead of me..;) sheesh..ya give a Bryce genius a free modeling program..admiring you from the dust as you passed me..;) j/k..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

draculaz ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 9:38 AM

Attached Link: http://www.freewriters.ca/wings3d

welcome to the dark side.

shinyary2 ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 9:42 AM

Oh, goody, do we get a free lightsaber model for turning? Complete with FX and everything? Just kidding. =)

draculaz ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 9:59 AM

suuuuuuure... :D

bandolin ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 12:00 PM

I luv Wings. Great Bryce support app.

<strong>bandolin</strong><br />
[Former 3DS Max forum coordinator]<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php">Homepage</a> ||
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/sitemail/">SiteMail</a> ||
<a href="http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=70375">
Gallery</a> || <a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=bandolin">
Freestuff</a>
<p><em>Caution: just a hobbyist</em></p>

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 12:04 PM

Oh boy! Another Bryce bitten by the wings bug.

pauljs75 ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 2:38 PM

But on occasion, we do get fellow WingNuts to see the merits of Bryce for rendering if Yafray seems too daunting. The influence works both ways. :) Besides there's some techniques such as "hybrid" booleaning that can't be performed without both programs. (Wings doesn't boolean, and Bryce just doesn't easily do certain compound organic shapes.) Use both programs together along with the render as solid setting in Bryce, and you're all set.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

shinyary2 ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 3:27 PM

Not to mention all of the really neat overall rendering options that Bryce has, such as DOF and soft shadows. Bryce really is a great 3D renderer. It's just not terribly good for modeling its own stuff (although once you get used to it and really good at it, you can do some amazing things--Rochr?).

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 5:42 PM

Just think...DAZ partnered with 3Delight so they could have part of their renderer integrated into their Studio program. What if Wings3D could be integrated inside of Bryce? The mind boggles.... AS

Incarnadine ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 8:41 PM

Put a big visible light inside that, add a set of volumetric lightnings a nd some smaller orbital visible lights and drop it into a pipe and greeble surrounding maze. Add a couple of walkway platforms, ladders and access hatches and you have a star drive core - cool!

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

Zhann ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 12:14 AM

Thanks I'll try the tut see what I get...=)

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 12:14 PM · edited Tue, 10 May 2005 at 12:14 PM

AS,
HOW did you subdivide the sphere?

I've never done that with Wings before.

Do you mean "loop cut"? And how did you loop cut it? So that you are left with a quarter?

I didn't think you could do that...

Message edited on: 05/10/2005 12:14

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 12:16 PM

Incarnadine, What IS a "a pipe and greeble surrounding maze"?

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

pauljs75 ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 12:32 PM

Subdivide = Smoothing in Wings 3D. (It's Catmull-Clarke subdivision to be exact.) Loop cut = A mesh editing function in wings. Select any series of edges that are end to end such that they form a closed loop. Then by loop cutting, the parts on each side of the edge loop become separate meshes. Greeble = Any pipes, clutter, doo-dads, etc. added to the surface of Sci-fi models for the purpose of depicting size and added detail. If you've seen any StarWars movies, you've definitely seen greebles. It's just a term that some hollywood F/X guy coined.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

shinyary2 ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 3:42 PM

I had wondered about Greebles myself. =)

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 4:42 PM

The subdivide action is possible when you have a selection in wings, and then you right click in the main window. It actually is just labeled "smooth". (As far as I have read and understand the manual, that is correct...) (?) AS

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 5:34 PM

AAAuuuH! Smoothing! Gotcha. Been using Wings for a while now and just for a moment I thought there was an ability I'd missed - there's often something. It's a great program isn't it? I found it easy enough to make a castle with it, but a bat is harder.

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 7:14 PM

Dumb wings question here - can wings be used to sub-divide a poser figures mesh and then edit it to fix tears, bad bends and other inaccuracies? (I do this in C4D but was curious if it could be done elsewhere by others)

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 10:09 PM

I have seen they CAN be subdivided. I saw the Poser skeleton subdivided, and it looked quite nice! I'll let a Wings user answer about fixing bad bends and such. AS

Kemal ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 11:35 PM

Tried in SILO one time, rather difficult, fallof in Poser does not introduce any new geometry, so all the polys are wierdly streched all over the place, you would be better off to rebuild entire knee (for example) then just fixing it ! :D

Incarnadine ( ) posted Wed, 11 May 2005 at 6:40 AM

The sub-divide poser skel was me in another thread about skel meshes I think. I do this to all my poser figures at the moment (or at least those that it will make a visible effect on in the final render) using Cinema. I am not doing any further posing though, so rebuild is not worth the effort.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.