Sun, Oct 6, 6:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Ugly Saves in Poser 5

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 2:32 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 6:24 AM

file_223091.jpg

I've been saving my images as .png files so they won't have a background.

Until the other day I didn't really do anything with them except give them to some graphic groups that I'm in. However, the last couple of days I've been using some renders and have noticed that there is an ugly grey border around every single .png file I've saved.

Am I doing something wrong with the way I'm rendering them, or is this a normal phenomena when saving files without a background in poser? I've tried .tif as well, and it's the same thing.

I feel bad that I offered such ugly tubes for use and now I'm going to go through all of my earlier renders and tube them to get rid of that grey border.

Message edited on: 04/19/2005 02:35

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 3:28 AM

I have never suffered that phenomenon and I always save in .PNG format. Then, I always use the Poser default nasty grey. One thought - is your Anti Aliasing up to snuff? You may get this effect if the Shading Rate is low (ie, 1.0 or more). I always use a Shading Rate of at least 0.5 and if I'm using Koz hair, 0.2.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 3:32 AM · edited Tue, 19 April 2005 at 3:33 AM

Thanks. I haven't changed any of the default settings in my rendering window... just the window size and I checked smooth polygons and cast shadows, but I'll try your suggestion the next time I render something. But for the time being I'm going to be tubing my tubes :(. I hate when things I've done aren't "perfect" to my standard.

It's not noticable on a light background, but I noticed this grey border on my gallery image and decided to check the others I've done and discovered that.

Message edited on: 04/19/2005 03:33

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 3:35 AM

You're welcome. Please let me know how it works out. I'm definitely interested in this. I just had a thought - have you tried saving in .TIF? If so, does the same thing happen? Maybe it's worth an experiment.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

AnnaKirsten ( ) posted Fri, 20 May 2005 at 5:19 AM

YSSS! That's the one! Just exactly what I'm getting looking at the image. I get it regardless of whether I export as png, bmp, tiff or whatever! But I will go look at my settings for the shading rates - and also I use a white background on Poser when I'm just making tubes, so maybe your "nasty grey" would be better! I'll come back here if I discover anything interesting! Nicky.

AnnaKirsten

My Website

Is the light at the end of the tunnel my way out, or is it an oncoming train just about to make me extinct?

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 20 May 2005 at 5:25 AM

I still haven't figured out a solution. I still get that, and it upsets me to no end. I render and then I have to TUBE almost everything I make in Poser. I use the default colour for the pose room, grey.. and that's the gross colour that is left around my images :(

AnnaKirsten ( ) posted Fri, 20 May 2005 at 5:40 AM

You know something Acdaia, I even wrote to Kel who does the Outlaw by Design and produces tubes at www.freepsptubes.com (well worth a visit), which come out perfectly, and she said she never has to do any postwork at all, and never has a problem with her renders - said she did exactly the same as me! So.. I am wondering what ELSE might be the problem here.. Maybe there's something we haven't got right in the basic Poser set up, or maybe it's Poser 5 as opposed to 4; maybe...... who knows? Soooooo frustrating!

AnnaKirsten

My Website

Is the light at the end of the tunnel my way out, or is it an oncoming train just about to make me extinct?

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 20 May 2005 at 6:02 AM · edited Fri, 20 May 2005 at 6:04 AM

Maybe ask her to send you a screenshot of her render window so you can see the settings? Or better yet, see if she will post it here so that I can see it too, and others who are having the same problem.

Message edited on: 05/20/2005 06:04

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 20 May 2005 at 6:19 AM

file_223092.jpg

Here is what my render window looks like. I use these settings for all production renders. Sometimes I will change the bucket size to 16, but all the rest stays like in the image.

AnnaKirsten ( ) posted Fri, 20 May 2005 at 11:47 AM

I actually don't feel I can ask her! She seemed very off-hand in her response as it was! Maybe someone else here who doesn't have the probs we're getting could whos us a screenshot though? That would be most helpful. I have been playing around with various types of renders today, but ultimately one thing made a difference, although not completely. That was in the Post filter size, I set it at 2 and the post filter type I set to guassian. It took away the jagged edge, but I still needed to get rid of a very slight grey aura that was left. I exported the image as a png, then in psp, I used the magic wand with Tolerance at 0, Feather at 3, anti-alias ticked and outside selected. This got rid of the aura. Mostly this seems to work quite well! I still think it should be possible to overcome all of this inside Poser's rendering machine though!

AnnaKirsten

My Website

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 20 May 2005 at 2:10 PM

Do you add lighting to the scene before rendering? I do. Maybe it's a result of lighting? But I've tried rendering my tubes with just the default lights in Poser, and the images looked really awful. Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing this jaggy light coloured border and how to get rid of it?

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 21 May 2005 at 11:13 PM

file_223093.jpg

I did a variety of saves using Poser 4 Render and Firefly Render, and saved them in different formats. My Poser window is grey, and all of the settings are as shown above in my Render Options Screenshot, with the exception of the type of rendering engine.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 21 May 2005 at 11:14 PM

file_223094.jpg

Second style

file_223095.jpg

Third style

file_223097.jpg

Fourth Style

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 21 May 2005 at 11:18 PM · edited Sat, 21 May 2005 at 11:24 PM

These were rendered with a window of 800 x 800. If I increase the window size, and the size of the figure when it's rendered, the outline is EXREMELY noticable.

Am I just being too picky? Is this how Poser is supposed to be rendering, or do I have something set wrong?

ANY help is greatly appreciated, because I don't like to have to "tube" all of my renders because it's double the work, plus I would like the option of increasing my pictures too.

I hear people saying they don't have this problem... is it that they haven't noticed it or this is what they get and it's how it's supposed to be?

The top image in this thread, shows what the image looks like with 1 X Magnification.

EDIT: Ooops, I see I have "Poser 3 Render" in one image above.. that should say "Poser 4 Render".

Message edited on: 05/21/2005 23:24

AnnaKirsten ( ) posted Sun, 22 May 2005 at 4:41 AM

Acadia, you've been doing all the render trials I've been doing, only I ALWAYS do have the anti-alias ON when using Poser 4 render, as I know this is essential. Firefly, as you say, doesn't seem to have that particular facility! I have had EXACTLY the same results as you have above, and NO, you and I both know that isn't a satisfactory finish for a tube! I did make contact with someone who said they would put a screen print of their render page up for us, but they were very busy at the time and said it might be a few days, but would do so as soon as possible. Arrrrrrrrrgh!!!! The way I select inside PSP DOES seem to be having some effect though, as mentioned in my last post above.

AnnaKirsten

My Website

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 22 May 2005 at 5:02 AM · edited Sun, 22 May 2005 at 5:04 AM

file_223099.jpg

I don't select all and delete. I use the lasso selection tool, set it to "antialiasing on" and no feathering. I then go along the edge of the image and cut off 1 to 2 pixels to get rid of the grey border.

The only thing I haven't tried is changing the Pose window colour from grey to whatever the clothing colour my figures are wearing.

I just did a render. The figure has deep burgundy hair. At normal size in PSP, the grey border is very, very visible when placed on anything but a lighter colour background. It looks like someone traced around it with a grey crayon :( Here is a cropped section, and without magnification.

I'm going to try posting this stuff at Daz and see if anyone there has an idea. Doesn't look like anyone here has a clue because you and I are the only one's babbling in here, LOL

Message edited on: 05/22/2005 05:04

AnnaKirsten ( ) posted Sun, 22 May 2005 at 5:29 AM

There seem to be endless combinations to use!!! Did you look at the PSP forum question there? Someone has left some images they've done in that, and said they render with anti-alias on and over black, (obviously not firefly) save as a TIFF then get rid of the background in PSP via the load alpha channel method. His renders are perfect! I've asked if he could upload a screen-shot of his render screen. Meanwhile, let's keep in touch over this and if either of us discovers the answer, we can let one another know... (I've never used the Lassoo seclect tool for this particular purpose btw. Interesting option...)

AnnaKirsten

My Website

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 22 May 2005 at 5:54 AM

With the help of rg5a at Daz, a solution was found. Instead of having the pose window grey, in order to get rid of that nasty grey border that results from automatic antialising in Poser 5, change the pose window to black or a darker colour. There is no grey border around dark colours, and no black border around light colours (I thought they might be a reversed problem, but there isn't) So now I'm a happy camper. All I need to do is resize my images now, and not have to worry about tubing them too :)

AnnaKirsten ( ) posted Sun, 22 May 2005 at 6:00 AM

Excellent news! Can't wait to find out how this works on my own proggies! I somehow knew there had to be an easier way than all those extra hours of tubing work inside PS or PSP! lol!

AnnaKirsten

My Website

AnnaKirsten ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2005 at 4:45 PM

file_223101.jpg

I just want to thank every one VERY much for your support and between you all, I have now come up with a formula that really works for me, and I no longer have to do any selecting or altering inside PSP!!! Here it is! I hope it helps someone else...

AnnaKirsten

My Website

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2005 at 6:00 PM

I've been doing pretty much what Sam is doing, with a bit of tweaking. Rendering in Draft with the right settings and over black, does give equivalent renders to production, and in a much faster time. I'm glad I continued to pursue a solution to this because it's made my poser life sooooo much more pleasant :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.