Thu, Sep 19, 5:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: Thinking of getting V5I... but...

animajikgraphics ( ) posted Thu, 19 May 2005 at 9:40 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 5:24 PM

V5i really looks awesome - The compositing and syncronization options are what "sells me" on the program as well as the ecosystem.

But just how stable is V5I? I keep hearing about memory leaks and crashing... yet OTH I see others doing great work with it.

Can I get some real world experiences from some of you V5I users about it's stability? I can live with occasional crashes, as long as it's usuable?

(I am on a Mac G5 - 1.5gigs, Panther 10.3.9)

Thanks in a advance!

FatCatAlley.net | Now Playing "SpaceCat 5" Parts 1 and 2

LordWexford ( ) posted Fri, 20 May 2005 at 1:40 AM

V5I is perfectly stable and useable, the various patches have done a lot to improve it's stability. However, what will bring it to it's knees are large texture maps. I have 1.5 gigs of physical ram, and if I try to use say two or more Poser objects with large and detailed texture maps then I can watch the memory get steadily eaten up until there is nothing left at which point the programme just gives up. Apart from that the programme is outstanding, with superb lighting options, funtional terrains and of course the ecosystem. Plus much more! Get it - you won't regret it.

animajikgraphics ( ) posted Fri, 20 May 2005 at 3:32 AM

Thanks for the reply.. and I do want it. Sounds like if you use it within it's limits it's fine. Perhaps too many are trying to push a bit too hard?

lingrif ( ) posted Fri, 20 May 2005 at 5:02 AM

I think you're right. Vue5I is so much more powerful than its predecessors that I don't think any of us is aware of its limits. Lord Wexford is right - it seems that the large texture maps are a problem. since I don't use Poser (yet), I find that large scenes may start giving me problems, but since ecosystems and polycounts running into the billions, it's hard for me to define when the problem is going to start. Eco polys are handled differently than other object polys. But for me, Vue5I is extremely stable and a joy to work with.

www.lingriffin.com

CaptainMarlowe ( ) posted Fri, 20 May 2005 at 6:57 AM · edited Fri, 20 May 2005 at 6:58 AM

I'm working with Vue 4.2 at the time. I switched from Bryce a few months ago, and I definitely enjoyed that switch. Now, I really look forward purchasing V5I : the ecosystem technology seems to open such a range of opportunities !!!

Message edited on: 05/20/2005 06:58

aeilkema ( ) posted Fri, 20 May 2005 at 12:44 PM

Just beware, if you plan on using it for a lot of Poser figures, you will encounter a lot of problems. This mem bug / leak thing related to Poser has been there from version 4 and still exsists in V5I. I dumped V5 Pro due to this ongoing problem and E-On doesn't seem to be able to find a solution for it.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

richcz3 ( ) posted Fri, 20 May 2005 at 1:14 PM

Vue 5 Infinite is awesome when working with still imagery. The are an abundance of options for every feature. The program has proven more than stable and capable of handeling very large poly scenes without a hit in performance. Importation of my Lightwave and .obj file models hasn't been a problem. From an animation perspective though, Vue 5 Infinite is more a work in progress. My initial animation results have grain/noise which is proving difficult to remedy without destroying details with blur solutions which in turn produce extended rendering times. I am crossing my fingers and pouring through the manual in hopes of finding a happy medium. richcz3

animajikgraphics ( ) posted Fri, 20 May 2005 at 8:59 PM

Thanks for all the input guys! You sold me. I will order in a couple of weeks. @aeikema - I will watch out for that with poser figures. Just wondering if the mill-figures could be cause more of the problems due to their polygon count? @richcz3 - I'd be interested in the results of your animation tests. I noticed that the V5I demo movie (The one by Philippe Bouyer) makes a lot of use of motion blur too. Good stuff though!

aeilkema ( ) posted Sat, 21 May 2005 at 4:12 AM

"Just wondering if the mill-figures could be cause more of the problems due to their polygon count?" animajikgraphics, It's not because of their polycount, it's due to the high res textures poser uses. as others have explained before. Vue is (and always had) having a lot of trouble when you use multiple high res textures. It uses memory very insufficient whn it comes to textures. Poser utilizes memory much more sufficiently.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

animajikgraphics ( ) posted Mon, 23 May 2005 at 9:46 PM

@aeilkema - Thanks for clarifying that for me

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.