Sun, Sep 22, 8:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / MarketPlace Showcase

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

MarketPlace Showcase F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 2:35 pm)

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum. The Showcase Forum and Gallery are intended for all commercial related postings by active Renderosity MarketPlace Vendors only. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review in greater detail the various art products, software and resource site subscriptions available for purchase in the Renderosity MarketPlace.

Subject: Attn Merchants

gellenburg ( ) posted Mon, 23 May 2005 at 8:01 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 6:45 AM

Would you be willing to pay to have your product professionally packaged for Mac & Windows (ala Daz)? I'm talking self-extracting installers for Windows, and Package Installer files for Mac OS X? As a software developer, I've got extensive experience packaging software for distribution for both Mac & Windows. Considering I've been out of work since February, I thought this might be a good way to help out your customers and the community. If you've ever tried to install a Renderosity ZIPped package onto the Mac it's a royal pain. ;-) So... just a thought. If you're interested, drop me a note.

For God so loved the Walmart, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not overpay, but have everlasting low, low prices. (John $3.88)

mrsparky ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2005 at 5:16 AM

how much ?

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

gellenburg ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2005 at 5:51 AM

How does $20 total (Mac & Win) sound (per product)? In addition, so you can see what I'm talking about, I'll do one Free Stuff product for free per merchant.

For God so loved the Walmart, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not overpay, but have everlasting low, low prices. (John $3.88)

hauksdottir ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2005 at 10:06 AM

As a customer, I have to say that I hate installers. I prefer to do my own installation, where I want the files, in folders of my own naming. This means that I can get rid of the damned extra !!!!! and useless matposes. I can also find the eyelash transmap or whatever later when another product asks for it. Too many of the DAZ files go into oblivion, or have mispellings in the path names, so I extract them rather than install them. And, yes, I'm on the Mac! What would be useful is checking for too-long path names and bad references... but leave the zips alone! Carolly

mrsparky ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2005 at 1:50 PM · edited Tue, 24 May 2005 at 1:50 PM

I think thats a fair price - licence per product and NOT per product sold I trust!

Also a very fair offer on the freebies. Thanks, I proabbly won't use it myself as on the odd occasaion I need self-installers winzip does the job. Though it doesn't look very professional. I'm sure yours does!

The problem comes in dealing with non standard install paths, the daz installers take an age. Have you solved this one ?

Good luck.

ps: have you submitted your service/software to the marketplace yet ? It will get more exposure there than buried here the forums. edited to remove typos.

Message edited on: 05/24/2005 13:50

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

gellenburg ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2005 at 3:25 PM

Thanks. Yeah, I think $20 is more than fair. Oh, and that's per product obviously. Not per product sold. I wouldn't have access to that information anyway. ;-) With regards to Winzip though, keep in mind that Winzip self installers are not compatible with the Mac. ;-) With regards to non-standard paths, that's handled by the installer. All the user does is select where their Runtime folder is. "C:Program FilesPoser 6" for example, or ":My Stuff:Applications:Graphics:Poser 5:" for the Mac (for example) or in the case of custom Runtime folders, perhaps then "E:Figures" which (for the last example) would install the product into "E:FiguresRuntime", etc., etc. So in answer to your last problem... yes. ;-) I've solved the non-standard install paths problem.

gellenburg ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2005 at 3:28 PM

As far as listing this in the Marketplace... I can't do that because this is a service for product developers and other merchants (not end-users).

Posermatic ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 8:13 AM

I'm interested too but not just for the installer perse, many of my products are encoded and require the user to have some files already installed in their computer so it could be very usefull if they could download a "pre" installer to check for the files before they buy my product. Could this pre-installer be possible? Thanks

gellenburg ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 8:16 AM

Well... ;-) Since I wrote the installer, I can add just about anything. Can you send me a PM and give me more information what specifically you're referring to as "pre" installer?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.