Thu, Oct 3, 4:10 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: P6 SR1 updater

gothicenchantedangel ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 2:02 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 2:16 AM

Hiya I have just ran the SR1. It couldn't find Poser 6 on my computer, so I had to manually find it for it. The updater ran, said it had sucessfully updated P6. When I went to check to see what version of Poser I have now, it still says 6.0.0.38. This means it didn't update did it? Or have I made a mistake when I ran the update? I had the same problem with the content updater (couldn't find Poser) which I never did get installed :-( TIA for any help anyone can give me.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 2:07 AM

The updated Windows version is v6.0.1.75.

gothicenchantedangel ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 2:18 AM

Should I try to run it again to see if it updates to 6.0.1.75?

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 2:21 AM

Wouldn't hurt. Probably. You didn't run it directly from within the zip file, did you?

gothicenchantedangel ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 2:27 AM

No I had unzipped the file before running it. Thanks.

MAW3D ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 3:08 AM · edited Thu, 26 May 2005 at 3:13 AM

Hmm .. this was a disappointment. I also have run the updater and thought "Yeah!". It installed fine though.

BUT - the problems I have with P6 are still in there:

1.) Compared to P4/Pro Pack/P5, loading huge content library listings into P6 takes a lifetime to load into P6SR1 - breaks the workflow and isnt fun at all anymore.

2.) I need the sketch animated rendering process badly. The problem there is, that only 41 frames will be created and then P6 kicks out and freezes. This problem is not fixed (yet).

I already have stated these 2 problems to the e-frontier/CuriousLabs Support - again .. sigh

Does anybody noticed these 2 problems as well?!

Cheers,
maddy

Message edited on: 05/26/2005 03:13

Dimension3D ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 4:04 AM

I had the same problem as gothicenchantedangel. The updater installed the files in the root directory, not in the Poser6 directory. On second try, it worked.

I have a rather long bug list for Poser 6, and only a few things of my list were fixed. And I even found two new bugs in just a few hours.

1. Binary morphs are now saved for props in the library, but then they are missing in scene files.
  2. PNG and TIF images with 256 colors or less no longer work as textures.

I sent my bug list to E-Frontier (again), and now I'm waiting for SR2.

Dimension 3D - Poser Tools, Poser Props and Morphs, Cinema 4D Plugins, and more

Renderosity Store / D3D Web Site

Talisman ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 6:48 AM

I found that file and program loading as well as rendering have become very much faster. The pause that exists when switching from render view to preview is still there, but much less. It appears that the P6 memory management is better. I'm still very impressed with P6; it is a much bigger advance than I expected. With time, I'm hopeful that Curious Labs will sort the remainder out.

gothicenchantedangel ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 8:00 AM · edited Thu, 26 May 2005 at 8:01 AM

I've ran the Sr1 updater again and this time it worked, I'm on v6.0.1.75.

Now to see if it has made any difference.....

Edited for typos.

Message edited on: 05/26/2005 08:01

Macsen ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 9:05 AM

I've installed it last night and (at least for me, in the very short time that I had access to the program) i managed to make two renders using "final" auto settings, which the program could NEVER do before... Used full Winter Queen and withouth closing it made a new James using same settings, and it worked. Since I have to make a trip to another state I cannot help with the other stuff, but at least it seems I can render in better quality. When I come back i'll pick ut up again, since the memory bug was the thing that kept me from playing with the program... Rick.

artistheat ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 10:12 AM

It's working great for me so far...:)

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 10:53 AM

It's working great for me so far...:)

Ditto.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

Netherworks ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 11:22 AM

I have to agree too - working fantastic here. I did have to run the installer a second time though - but I do have an installation outside of Program Files (blah blah). No more camera issues and its faster overall - going from one directory to another is very quick.

philebus ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 12:04 PM

I discovered the Sketch render problem just a couple of hours ago. Not happy, I was looking forward to aniamting with that - but sure enough, it stops dead at 40 frames.

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 12:46 PM

The big runtime thing...In the readme for the sr1 updater it says you have to break up your runtime. And always choose a small or empty runtime to before you exit so that it loads faster.

Tirjasdyn

Jeff01 ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 1:49 PM

Sketch render animation problem happens to me too -- that's nasty, the program locks. Creating the animation works fine in P5. (While performing this test I chose to render quarter size and noticed P6 prefers the alternate spelling "Quater."

Other P6-isms that cause P6 to feel sluggish compared to P5 include:

Startup time, twice as long as P5 even though my P6 runtime is smaller than my P5 runtime.

After clicking File/New I have to click the bar on the libarary palette with the "down triangle" twice to get the pull down menu, only once in P5.

After double clicking on a material library preset from Basic Materials, the nodes may or may not appear right away in the material window. Sometimes the nodes stay invisible until I move the mouse.

The render settings Load Preset button at first revealed just a horizontal line, then after I saved some presets, the standard Draft and Production choices just appeared above the horzontal line with my presets below the line. Now after SR1, Draft and Production are gone again and I can't get them back.

All that said, SR1 installation went without a hitch, and seems to have fixed the refraction artifact problem I was having.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 2:29 PM

maddy, philebus:

While you're waiting for EF to address this bug, you can still create lengthy animations with the Sketch Renderer ... you just can't render more than 40 frames at a time.

Set the movie output to image sequence. Render frames 1-30. Then render frames 31-60. Then render frames 61-90. Repeat as necessary until all your frames are rendered. Compile the images into a video using a third-party utility like Animation Shop or VirtualDub.

uli_k ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 2:39 PM

Jeff01, the Draft and Production choices are only present when the file you're working on was saved from Poser 5. This was done to ensure backward compatibility with Poser 5. Otherwise, one of the two settings would have been lost in the new render settings UI of Poser 6. If you want them around all the time, load a Poser 5 scene with your desired Draft/Production settings and save them as preset in Poser 6 (slightly different name to make sure you can distinguish them going forward). Uli

philebus ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 2:48 PM

Thanks Little Dragon, I've had Animation Shop since PSP8 but have only just turned my attention to animation (I have a young niece in the States and want to send some fun e.mails). I'll give this a shot over the bank holiday. Neill

Jeff01 ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 3:19 PM

Uli,

Thanks. That explains how they "just appeared." Based on your suggestion, I saved my launch state from P5 as a pz3, loaded it into P6, and saved it as my launch state for P6. Now I have the P5 factory Draft and Production presets above the line, and my presets below the line, all the time. I'm a happy camper on this one.

Jeff

msg24_7 ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 3:55 PM

So far I haven't experienced any problems. It does seem to handle everything a little faster than before. Even did render a scene that wouldn't render before for some reason.

Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.