Tue, Oct 22, 6:51 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 6:50 am)

Subject: Is it me or is Jessie very Anime/Manga oriented in Poser 6?

pjanak ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 3:03 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 6:51 AM

Her head clearly is the general shape of an Anime,Manga head. Not to mention as a 3D human it lloks like she's an Alien/human crossbreed. IF my subject line is on the money. Think it has to do with new owership via Japan? Also, the body part morphs that come with her . Well, Pretty awful. I'm sure in many ways the figures have likely improved in usability. But the design choice fir Jessie was well...odd. And it looks very amatuer to me. Am I being too sinical?

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 3:09 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=2232900

There was a thread earlier that was discussing the various shapes of the Poser figures. I don't have Poser 6, but from what I saw in screenshots in that thread, "Jessie" certainly has an alien-like appearance.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 3:17 AM

Well, if you have any desire at all left to actually use her, you might want to check out the morph packs available for her over at RuntimeDNA in their marketplace. Gives her about as much flexibility in the facial morphing department as V3, and the body morph pack is much better than her standard FBM's. Those face/head morphs can shape her into a much more natural appearance. Tons of options. I have actually enjoyed using Jessi, because I had always hated messing around with all those mostly unnecessary material zones that the mil figs use. Same goes for James, who I think is really good, aside from some poor rigging.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

thixen ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 7:19 AM

I can't vouche for this 100%, but I thought I read somewhere that the new figures were designed (at least on paper) by a renouned magna artist from Japan.

Jim Burton ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 8:23 AM

file_246151.gif

Any Better? (Glamorous Jessi Beta)

Jim Burton ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 8:54 AM · edited Sat, 28 May 2005 at 8:57 AM

file_246152.gif

Here is a side-by-side with stock Jessi, same pose, so you can see the difference (I hope! ;-)).

I was amazed that JG's bikini bottom seemed to fit stock Jessi, the rest wouldn't, though.

Message edited on: 05/28/2005 08:57

XFX3d ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 8:58 AM

Not bad morphing, Jim. And great work on the JP corrections. Almost there. Not sure about the name though. We never thought anorexia nervosa was terribly glamourous.

I'm the asshole. You wanna be a shit? You gotta go through ME.

Jim Burton ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 9:01 AM

Naa, she just isn't overweight, like most Americans! ;-) I'm planning on doing an add-on "muscle girl" package for her later, too.

spinner ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 9:20 AM

So Jim, your glam-girls are your manifesto against American obesity ? ;-) ~S

Jim Burton ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 9:59 AM

Yep! Jim went to the gym (Gee, that sorta rimes, doesn't it) and lost 70 pounds, many of the Poser girls (V3?) could shed a few pounds, too!

Jim Burton ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 10:07 AM · edited Sat, 28 May 2005 at 10:09 AM

I also aughta add, kidding aside, I like the mesh detailing even in stock Jessi, I'm a great fan of detailing in mesh, rather than texture maps. After paying with Glamorous Jessi for over a month, figures like V3 and Stephanie 3 seem flat and featureless by comparision (try rendering stock Jessi next to V3 without textures on either)

The problem with stock Jessi is that some of the detailing is non-real, her shoulder blades (which you can't see here) were the worst, probbaly. Some of the detailing (on stock Jessi) was a little to much even for me, in addittion to what you see here, I've cut down on things like her finger "wrinkles".

I'm also going to include some morphs that tone some of the detailing down, I'm quite aware that some think it overdone. ;-)

Message edited on: 05/28/2005 10:09

Sarte ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 12:50 PM

NO. THAT IS NOT ANIME. THAT IS HIGHLY STYLIZED AMERICAN-STYLE DESIGN. Not anime. Aiko is not Anime. Hiro is not anime. Animedoll is Anime. Why can't people understand this?

Do the impossible, see the invisible

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER

Touch the untouchable, break the unbreakable

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER

Sarte ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 12:51 PM

On closer observation, I'd swear that was a guy.

Do the impossible, see the invisible

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER

Touch the untouchable, break the unbreakable

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER

ghelmer ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 1:00 PM · edited Sat, 28 May 2005 at 1:01 PM

Aiko3, Hiro, Animedoll, Maya doll are all "Anime Inspired" in my opinion... being that "Anime" is Japanese Animation as in the context of a series: Cowboy Bebop (Awesome), Ranma, Evangellion, G.I.T.S., heck even the old Astroboy & Sailormoon are animes.

As far as I'm concerned Aiko3 & Hiro are the best we Poser users are gonna get for anime inspired renders and animations. The have the most morphs, the wardrobe & props etc to fullfill all your anime/manga/ ick {hentai} needs! Sorry for the mention of hentai but I suppose even if it ain't my thing it might be someone elses!

Later!

G typos edited

Message edited on: 05/28/2005 13:01

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 2:32 PM

many of the Poser girls (V3?) could shed a few pounds, too!

I personally know real world girls that look like Jim Burton's models.

Good friends with some of them. Great friends with one.

So, yeah.....I can attest to the fact that they exist. And that they even have good appetites.

They are just blessed with a metabolism that others of us ain't got.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

Jim Burton ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 3:08 PM · edited Sat, 28 May 2005 at 3:09 PM

Thanks XENOPHONZ!

Plus, if you look carefully, you will even notice that GJ has a very slightly thicker waist than Stock Jessi. Just because you can see bone detailing doesn't mean too-thin, in my eyes. You can even see some of that on me, and I'm still about 20 poundes over my ideal weight (but in pretty good shape for somebody 58 years old!).

Oh, I don't think she (stock Jessi) is really Anime, either. Marvel Comic type Superhero was what I heard, and seems right. You can think of Glamorous Jessi as being her alter-ego, before she puts on her costume. ;-)

Message edited on: 05/28/2005 15:09

nakamuram ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 3:10 PM

LOL: "We never thought anorexia nervosa was terribly glamourous." I totally agree, that's why I love GJ!!! Fortunately, most people don't think that obesity is glamorous, either. It bothers me that people think that being thin and small-boned is wrong, and condem it as being "unrealistic." Of course its OK not to be thin and small boned -- like my wife. Most of us can live with reality, and still long for our ideals.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 3:11 PM

Just because you can see bone detailing doesn't mean too-thin, in my eyes.

Some of it is occasioned by.......uh......(jealousy)........other reasons.

XFX3d ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 3:12 PM

Sarte: We feel that our Ayumi figure is pretty Anime http://poserpros.daz3d.com/store/viewitem.php?selitem=5163&start=0&selcat=0&selsub=0

I'm the asshole. You wanna be a shit? You gotta go through ME.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 3:16 PM

A person is what they are.

Thin/fat/beautiful/not-so-beautiful.......

You are what you were born as. Sure, we can do some things to help nature out a bit -- like diet & exercise -- but people can't always be blamed for being what they are. Genes have an awful lot to do with it.

Even the most beautiful among us aren't perfect.

If we ever saw a truly perfect person: we'd probably be severely psychologically damaged by the experience........

nakamuram ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 3:39 PM

To me, physical perfection in humans is just "the lack of objectionable physical characteristics." So in my view, there are plenty of ways a person can be physically perfect -- and plenty of people who are. I certainly am not, though and I can live with that.

AtelierAriel ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 4:51 PM

file_246155.gif

Can we get away from fat vs thin and junk like that? Is it relavent? And no I can't spell. IT's not relavent. SP again. Morphs can alter things like "fat" and "thin", "round" and "angular", blah, blah, blah. It really has to do with the correctness or beauty or symmetry of the mesh. Doesn't it? The actual size of the thing? Hog Wash...Doesn't it have to do with the shape of the colar bone and how the elbow relates to the wrist and so much more?

I thought this thread started out as "is Jessi anime or not?" Or something like that.

OK, I've morphed her. Because I thought that the original was "Butt Ugly" and that I wanted to do something to help this poor girl. And I'm a terrible morpher, and so many are so much better and I know it. But here she is.

Jim has worked his magic. He's super talented, and smart, and good at what he does and I just sit back and watch and say "WOW". And there is the Mona Lisa and then there is Jim Burton and we're lucky to have him.

Yes she's awful. But she can be better. And I'm working on making her better. So here is my "better". But it's only her head, not her body. Jim's fixed that already.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 4:56 PM

Nice looking head.

As for morphing -- I like your character work, Ariel. It's very good.

Your characters are the kind that I like. A lot.

As for fat vs. thin.....hey, we take our OT where we can get it.

;)

balefuldoll ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 5:36 PM

Thin or not I think all of Mr. Burtons models have a shapeliness that is just beautiful. I think that is were most modelers miss the punchline, since a lot of the poser women tend to look like big ungainly truckers. I bet if you took on a shape like Jennifer Tilly's or Rose Magowan they would look awesome. :D

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 5:39 PM

Can we spell "anorexia". Yuck! That model looks hideous. My best friend is a semi professional body builder and while you can see her abs, you don't see outlines of hip bone shapes either. There is slim, and then there is "sickly" slim, and that model is sickly slim.

nakamuram ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 6:10 PM

Ariel, Your model certainly is not Anime, but she is beautiful. What textures are you using? Can we a look at her face from another angle, please? Jessi certainly isn't Anime. The outstanding trait of Anime characters is their large round eyes -- a very un-Asian physical characteristic.

Jim Burton ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 8:38 PM · edited Sat, 28 May 2005 at 8:42 PM

Attached Link: http://www.audreyhepburn.org/grahamspage/images/audrey-hepburn.html

Thick or thin is in the eye of the beholder, of course, let me ask Acadai a question - in your eyes was Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's "sickly slim"?

Oh, thanks guys, you make me blush! And I like you head Atelier_Ariel, much better, and very different from out-of-the-box, too!

Message edited on: 05/28/2005 20:42

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 8:52 PM

I've never seen the movie, so I can't comment.

Letterworks ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 9:44 PM

Just to chime in a bit here... Jim knows I don't with all of the changes he made to Jessi, I like to think I was one of the people that "talked" him into a more body builder morph. I LIKE the original Jessi shape. BUT EVERYONE has his or her own view of what is beautiful and since Jim is doing all of the work on this figure, his view IS the one that counts! If you don't like Jim's view fine, go make your own (or not). HOWEVER, no one should dispute the fact that Jim has vastly improved the Jessi model's functionality! Jim's Jessi moves and bends like a dream! Very few people have the talent to make those improvements, and I'm grateful he is doing it! mike

ynsaen ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2005 at 12:38 AM

"HOWEVER, no one should dispute the fact that Jim has vastly improved the Jessi model's functionality! Jim's Jessi moves and bends like a dream!" I do. But until I read this, I was keeping my mouth shut as I don't presume to speak for others. I dislike pretty much everything he's done. Does that make any of it bad? No. Does it make any of it good? No. It is a matter of personal preference. Nothing more, nothing less. Many folks will spend their money on his work -- I will not. He has not improved the figure. He has simply made the figure different, and tried some new things and done other stuff that makes it different fromt eh original. Improvement is, again, a subjective thing. Never tell me something is an improvement in a way that makes it seem like the second coming. All it does it raise hackles and make me want to list all the reasons it is not. I respect Jim Burton and his work. It's just not for me.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Caly ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2005 at 1:38 AM

In the posing test images shown over at Poserpros it is obvious that Burton's Jessi bends better. She doesn't look as broken in many positions. Not looking broken is a pretty obvious improvement over the original. I don't think that the bending aspects can be all that subjective. Either something bends well or it doesn't. Now looks are very subjective. But I don't think there are many realities where V3 is fat. Out of the box V3 is not fat. I'm not even sure if she's average weight for her height. What would she be? 5ft10.5 & 120 pounds?! I prefer more cushioning on female characters and that's easily enough solved with morphs and wyrmmaster magnets etc. There's something about actually soft curves. Marilyn Monroe versus Twiggy. The Greek Venus versus Callista Flockhart. Aiko/Hiro can look very anime/manga. Aiko's mesh layout & UV mapping is better than the Anime Doll's. That said I love them both and they can co-exist.

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2005 at 1:42 AM

I don't have Jessie, my view is solely based on images that I've seen posted in this forum. The base image that I saw in another thread looks like an alien. The images that I've seen in this thread have changed the look of the face, but the figure from just below the chest to the knees is grossly ugly in my opinion. Sure hour glass figures are attractive. The "ideal" female body shape has always been "36-26-36". This figure appears more along the lines of "36-16-40" (yes, sixteen). That's totally unrealistic, and un-natural, and looks ugly in my eyes. Fill out the waist to a more realistic perspective/ratio as compared to the chest and hips, then I'll consider it "vastly improved". Until then, all I see is a changed face (improvement), and some smoothing out to hide sharp edges of the hip bone and ribs (no improvement). I'm not dissing Jim's work, I'm dissing the character itself because frankly it's one butt ugly female form.

Letterworks ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2005 at 10:18 AM

As far as different body style, that's what morphs are for. Hopefully once we have a figure that can bend and pose well ( try making stock Jessi's feet fit high heels, among other poses) the morph master will give us enough varity to suit everyone, I know there are a number of changed I intend to try and make to fit my vision. What I see in Jim's GJ is a vast improvement in the structure,the rigging,the joint parameters and ERC that improve the looks of the bent joints. He's even included a morph to make her flat footed again. With that there is now a figure that can be morphed to suit the tastes of different users, where as I see the posing of stock Jessi as "rough" at best. Having started to play with some stock Jessie and James morphs and JP's I can well appriciate the work he's put into GJ. Please note the I an NOT one of GJ's beta testers, just someone waiting for the model to come out so I can try and make it fit my personal image. To work with the original is to duplicate much of the effort Jim is doing. My biggest hope is that he would do much the same work on James' rigging, even if James isn't the "type" Jim usually favors ;^). mike

AtelierAriel ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2005 at 11:40 AM

file_246159.gif

GJ isn't anorexic. She's just slim. Seriously, I've seen many anorexic girls and this isn't one of them. And I come from a long line of slim people and am kind of partial. So there are those who are going to hate her and those who are going to love her. Just the way it is. But... If you look at Jim's renders at PP and see the comparisons he's made, you instantly see the improvement. In one he shows the arm lifted and bent over her head. Jessi's forearm actually pierces her head. Awful. Jim fixed that so that the arm is bent exactly where it should be bent and is above her head where it should be. That's only a fraction of the fixes he's made. He's turned an ugly duckling into a swan. A slim swan. Maybe's he's added a fleshy morph for those who prefer fleshy. Don't know. I just know that he's done a masterful job. Look at the original. The original body is better than the original face. It's really not too bad. But there are those really weird things going on. A round clavical? Noooooo. Those bones are supposed to be straight and connect directly to the sternum. Like a crossed T. Why are they round? And awful hands. Wonderful hands if you put them on an elderly person with arthritis. But not a young girl. And her feet. And knees. And head shaped like an alien. Anyway, here's a frontal shot of my girl. The hair is there because I haven't figured out how to make her alien head smaller. And I haven't been able to give her more eyelid. Tried and just got a bulging brow bone like a gorilla. And no, I'm not a good morpher. Just doggedly determined. It's when I take a good look and like what I see and say, Wow! that's it! And then I see that somehow I've gotten horns to grow out of her ears. Yikes! The texture is mine, half finished. And playing around with face_off's shader. Just experimenting but there are way too many spots.

Letterworks ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2005 at 4:46 PM

Oh, and to address the original question in this thread... I feel the Jessi is closer to the style seen in American comic books, in particular those from Marvel and Image. They liked broad shouldered, extremely slim waisted women, with overly ripped arms and legs. That one of the reaons I LOVE Jessi, and pleaded with Jim not to make her too much like the super-models he (justfiably) famous for. I WANT that Marvel/Image look! Gen13, X-Men, FF, I can see Jessi being the darling of the comic set, if she's left with the muscles on stock Jessi and has rigging that can accomodate the clothing and the extreme poses. Mike

nakamuram ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2005 at 7:52 PM

Thanks for the renders of your moded, Ariel!! With long dark hair, blue eyes, and a diiferent texture, she could look like Angelina Jolie. Now combine that with Jim Burton's GJ.........

Letterworks ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2005 at 9:49 PM

file_246160.gif

Actually I think Ariel's character looks a lot like Jessica Alba. Even the color fits here as Sue Storm ( see the pic). Mike

Letterworks ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2005 at 9:57 PM

file_246162.gif

Jessi... Jessica, hummm. Here's one of her as Sue. Even the bdy type seems similar to me (even if Jessi's figure is exagerated.) Mike

AtelierAriel ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2005 at 11:22 PM

file_246164.gif

Well not really...but I couldn't resist. And this is my last post because I have to finish her. Nope, she's not at all Anime/Manga. But Trav is right. She's very American comic book. I should have put in dark brown eyes but I like the evil look this gives her.

Letterworks ( ) posted Mon, 30 May 2005 at 8:28 AM

Ariel, If your making her for sale, please let me know when she's released, and where. Mike

nakamuram ( ) posted Mon, 30 May 2005 at 1:48 PM

Ariel, Love the eyes!! I still think she could look like Angelina Jolie. How did you make her? In the face room or using morphs?

AtelierAriel ( ) posted Mon, 30 May 2005 at 4:02 PM

I started with the Jesse morphs from RDNA. Got something that I liked better than the original but still wasn't happy. Then started taking her into the Face Room, back to Pose room with magnets, back to Face Room, Back to Pose room, tweaking RDNA morphs, and on and on. I did some more last night to the eyes and they're a little brighter. Today working on fixing her huge alien head. It's OK with lots of hair but try putting one of the slick Koz hairdos on her and it looks awful. I can make it smaller but still can't get rid of the awful bulge above the ears on the side of her head. After that, I'm stopping. But the Face Room is really kind of neat even though you can't see what you're doing. Kind of hit or miss I found. Anyway, I started this about three weeks ago. I think I'll release her but have to finish the texture first. Packaging the P6 models is a lot easier than the Daz. The PMD file injection is a breeze. But I'm slow as molasses. She will require the purchase of the RDNA morphs to get this face. I know people won't be happy because they already had to pay for the program. But it's really like getting V3 for free and having to buy her head morphs. And she's such a pretty girl!

Jim Burton ( ) posted Mon, 30 May 2005 at 4:55 PM

file_246165.gif

Here is a shot of Glamorous Jessi, gamma version, with her new "Superstar" breast morph. WHICH WILL ABSOLUTELY BE THE LAST MORPH I GIVE HER I GOTTA STOP ADDING THINGS! Sorry! ;-) I think she is cute, though. There is a larger version of this in the Gallery.

AtelierAriel ( ) posted Mon, 30 May 2005 at 5:29 PM

You've just done such a fantastic job. And look at her feet!! No more alien feet! And I like the breast morph. A lot more natural then the first one you did.

nakamuram ( ) posted Mon, 30 May 2005 at 5:43 PM

I'm anxiously Awaiting. The best upper thigh bends I've seen!! Minimal "notching"!!!

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 30 May 2005 at 5:52 PM

Attached Link: http://www.celebhost.net/traceybregman/

Her face looks a lot like the actress in this link.

Jim Burton ( ) posted Mon, 30 May 2005 at 9:16 PM

Thanks A-A! I wanted to do one final breast morph, sort of a tribute to medical science, the fine art of implants! It isn't so much bigger as more defined. Plus she does have poseable breasts, just like the Girl (or SMV). She also has a poseable upper head, but that is another story. ;-)

narcissus ( ) posted Tue, 31 May 2005 at 3:26 AM

Poseable breasts? Does that mean that breasts are two different body parts? pitklad

Jim Burton ( ) posted Tue, 31 May 2005 at 12:08 PM

Yep, but unlike the GIRL they are ghost parts, not mesh, so they can be used as desired, the chest still bends and morphs the regular way. They don't scale though (neither do the GIRL's, but SMV's do), they just move up and down and side-side and twist. Saved about 12 morphs, plus clothing automaticly gets matching parts!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.