Mon, Sep 23, 6:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / MarketPlace Showcase

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

MarketPlace Showcase F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:52 pm)

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum. The Showcase Forum and Gallery are intended for all commercial related postings by active Renderosity MarketPlace Vendors only. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review in greater detail the various art products, software and resource site subscriptions available for purchase in the Renderosity MarketPlace.

Subject: Shark Attack! Pack #1 at DAZ

Colin ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 10:42 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 6:22 AM

file_249708.jpg

Somewhere, in a Tropical Marine Research Station... ... a tireless team of marine biologists is trying to preserve the creatures of the Earth's oceans. The team is about to release a trio of shark species into the wild, and an Administrator from Head Office has visited the site, just to check on the final preparations. Chief Technician Bobby shows her around the facility, and takes her to see the smaller holding pens of the Aquatic Containment Facility, where some Blue Sharks and Oceanic WhiteTip Sharks are restlessly circling their tanks...

Colin ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 10:43 PM

file_249709.jpg

Then, Bobby takes the Administrator down the next level to the Viewing Wall, which looks out into a far larger tank, where a Whale Shark awaits release...

Colin ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 10:44 PM

file_249710.jpg

Yes, months in the making, the first Shark Attack Pack is now launched! This first set (of two sets planned) is now available in the DAZ Premier store.

Colin ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 10:46 PM

file_249711.jpg

Hmm, do I recall a comment somewhere about needing a bigger boat?

Colin ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 10:47 PM

file_249712.jpg

Yup, methinks they're thinking a bigger boat would be A Good Thing right about now...

Colin ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 10:49 PM

file_249713.jpg

Now that they're released from their pens, here's a bit more info on each: 1. the Whale Shark - Rhincodon typus - the largest fish in the world today, adults range from 8m to more than 15m in length. They can be found in all the tropical oceans of the world, and wander huge migratory paths. Some have been known to follow the warm GulfStream waters up to the shores of the British Isles from time to time. They spend most of their time out in the open seas, but do come in close to shore as well. Friends of mine recently swam with them on a diving eco-tour just off the Galapagos Islands. They are quite approachable, as tiny swimming humans rarely pose a threat to them...

Colin ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 10:50 PM

file_249715.jpg

Whale Shark 2...

Colin ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 10:51 PM

file_249716.jpg

continuing our marine biology lesson: 2. The Blue Shark - Prionace glauca - is a slender, moderately-sized shark (up to 4m) of the open oceans. Named for its beautiful colouration, it is a very attractive and efficient killer. Its large eyes help it to see at depths of up to 350m as it hunts its prey of fish and squid. Widespread, it is found in all tropical, sub-tropical and temperate oceans. It can be dangerous, especially when excited or in a 'feeding frenzy' but it is not generally considered a threat to humans. The female bears live young, in litters of typically 25-50, sometimes many more.

Colin ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 10:52 PM

file_249718.jpg

Blue Shark 2

Colin ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 10:53 PM

file_249719.jpg

...and finally, rounding out the biology lesson for today... 3. the Oceanic WhiteTip Shark - Carcharhinus longimanus - a moderately-sized shark, up to about 4m in length, it is nonetheless one of the most dangerous of all. It has no fear of humans, and is utterly unpredictable. Recognizable by its huge dorsal and pectoral fins, this denizen of the open tropical and sub-tropical seas is the shark most likely to appear at an accident scene. Do not confuse it with the smaller, less dangerous WhiteTip Reef Shark. An opportunistic feeder, the Oceanic WhiteTip eats mainly fish, swimming seabirds, and seaturtles - oh, and 'carrion.' Females give live birth to litters of up to 15 pups.

William ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 12:29 AM

Great promo images. Would a hammerhead be included in the 2nd shark pack? How about a stingray?

Colin ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 12:57 AM

Yes, a Hammerhead is DEFINITELY going to be included in Pack #2 - it's already modelled, just not 'tweaked' to my liking yet! No stingray planned - I'm sticking to 'sharks' for these packs, even though I realize they're closely related. But who knows? If these packs prove popular, I could just keep going and going and... Cheers!

Katoran ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 7:32 AM

These look very nice. Definitely in my wishlist. (I already blew my Poser allowance for the month. Whaaaa!) Is there going to be a replacement/upgrade for the ancient Great White Shark that Daz currently has? I suppose it was a good model at the time but by current standards, it's got issues. Aside from the truely horrible Poser 3-era mapping, there's some wierdness in the geometry around the gills. (The mapping is really, really bad. If you use an authentic looking color scheme and paint the tops of the pectoral fins dark grey or blue, the color carries right accross the underbelly - sharks in bikinis, oy.) And the only other decent-looking shark (until recently, of course :) ) was Sharkey's free shark, but since he seems to have dropped off the net a year or so ago, I don't think it's available for download anymore.

Colin ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 9:54 AM

That's up to DAZ really - their ancient shark certainly has issues, by current standards, but in simplest terms, ANY Great White is better than NO Great White. I wanted to go beyond that - there are roughly 100 different types of sharks, I just wanted to provide more choice. I was getting tired of seeing that model used whenever someone needed a poseable shark, and regardless of what sort of shark is appropriate! There's a lot of variety among sharks, and I wanted to provide a bit of an alternative with my 2 packs. I was under the impression, though, that someone had already made a remapped version of the DAZ GWS, with better UVs. I don't think -I- have it though, so I'd be curious to hear from anyone who does... But, as I said above, if these packs prove there's a lot of demand out there, I might revisit the old GWS at some point in future! Cheers!

nickedshield ( ) posted Sun, 05 June 2005 at 10:06 AM

These look like a nice addition to my aquatic colletion. I'm going to have to sort through my sharks, I have the new one too but my fles are so messed up not sure who the creator was.

I must remember to remember what it was I had to remember.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.