Tue, Oct 22, 10:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 10:35 am)

Subject: Transparent glass?

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 12:42 AM ยท edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 10:38 AM

file_258959.jpg

Is it possible to make glass look like "glass"? Shiney, transparent... I am rendering SAMS3D's hour glass, and the glass comes out looking nearly opaque each time and the sand isn't very visible. This image is: Ray tracing off. I tried it "On" and it made no difference. Cast Shadows = off Smooth Polygons = off I have tried all kinds of lights. This was done with Complex Global Lighting. I forget which "lights", but this is the best I've been able to achieve. I'm not good with lights, so if you have some tips, can you give details too please?

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 2:51 AM

First I'd set Raytracing and cast shadows to on. Do you use reflection/refraction? - I'd advise you to download Ajax' shaderpack, I believe it's still here in free stuff, it has some very nice glass-settings :o) - just remember to change the background and reflection colours to match your actual background (I think they're set to magenta in the material so that they're easier to spot)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You justย can'tย put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
ย  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 2:58 AM

Quote - Do you use reflection/refraction?

Since I don't know what that is, I'd have to say, that I don't. I'll look for Ajax's file, thanks :)

Dave8 ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 5:19 AM

Are u looking for something like this glass8nu.jpg

stallion ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 7:22 AM

Attached Link: http://www.mec4D.com

Cath at Mec4D has a tutorial as well as some glass shader nodes for sale at her store which are good

You might as well PAY attention, because you can't afford FREE speech

lululee ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 7:29 AM

the Mec4D glass shaders from Catherine are awesome. cheerio lululee

blonderella ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 9:25 AM

Dave8, how do you attain that transparency on the model? ;D

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

Fazzel ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 9:51 AM

If you have Poser 6 forget about all that other stuff and in the material room just plug fresnal into the refraction node for the object you want to make look like glass. This gives you reflection and refraction. Make sure all your transparency settings are 0.0000 and set diffuse and specular to pure black. Set the refraction value to 1.0000, and click raytracing in your render options and set raytrace bounces to at least 4. All this other stuff was done before Poser 6 came along and made it easy.

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 11:34 AM

Dave, yes, that's the effect I'm looking for. Is there a tutorial on how to do that? I tried Ajax's shader, and rendered over a white background, which made most of the edges of the globes vanish, and when I put the image on a different background later to see if there were actually edges to the globes still, the globes looked like they were flood filled with white and had the layer opacity on them reduced. Fazzel, I have Poser 5. I didn't upgrade because I only bought Poser 5 last year and have never used Poser before. I don't know how to do anything beyond Pose room stuff in Poser 5, so there is tons in Poser 5 I still have to learn before moving to a different version.

Fazzel ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 12:08 PM

In Poser 5 you can get a similar effect by plugging in the reflection node and setting it to 0.3000 and plugging in the refraction node and setting it to 0.7000. Using fresnal in Poser 6 just saves a few steps.

Dave8 ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 1:40 PM

i used Ajax's shader render object in a box and used the maps on the Background on the box

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 2:03 PM

Render in a box? Sorry, but I don't understand that part. How do you render in a box? I don't see that option in the render options.

Ajax ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 5:27 PM

It's next to the "make Vicki smile" render option. Nah, kidding. Dave8 means you load a box into the scene and put your glass object inside that. We need to sort out a few other things first, though. How is the hourglass built? Does the glass have an inside surface as well as an outside, like a drinking glass, or is it built like a glass ball, that only has an outside surface? If there's only an outside surface, then refraction isn't going to look right (hourglasses are hollow, not made of solid glass) and you can forget all about it for this object. Assuming it does have an inner surface with air in the middle, then you can use a refractive shader but you need to make sure raytracing is turned on and you need to make sure there is something behind the glass to be refracted and also something around it to be reflected (that's where the box comes in, but it doesn't have to be a box, there just needs to be some sort of "world" of objects surrounding the glass object).

View Ajax's Gallery - View Ajax's Freestuff - View Ajax's Store - Send Ajax a message

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 5:58 PM ยท edited Thu, 23 June 2005 at 6:01 PM

It's an hour glass, so only outside surfaces. It's the image above. It's a globe that has sand in it, so it is hollow in order to contain the sand.

Message edited on: 06/23/2005 18:01

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 6:08 PM

file_258960.jpg

This the latest try. I did the .3 reflection and .7 refraction, raytracing and shadows on. It's better, but still doesn't look like glass though, and the sand in the bottom is black instead of sandy colour. I rendered on a white background. I put it on black here for you to see. On white the globes aren't very visible.

stallion ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 7:24 PM

The tutorial for "Glass reflect refract shader node" at Mec4d.com IS for POSER5 That didn't help??? it is in the tutorial section

You might as well PAY attention, because you can't afford FREE speech

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2005 at 7:30 PM

Oh, sorry, I saw "for sale" and I'm not in a position at the moment to buy shaders to make glass, so I didn't go and look. I'll go now and see the tutorial. Thanks :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.