Fri, Sep 20, 9:49 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: A Lesson forTezjezzme

BusyB967 ( ) posted Thu, 30 June 2005 at 11:25 PM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:47 PM

file_264176.jpg

Tezjezzme aka Shari has shown a strong desire to learn the blending technique that I use. I thought I would use the forum to do this in case anybody else was interested. Im going to use one of my most recent post (The Look-Out) for this lesson.. I choose this one because it would be perfect for a beginner as a first project. I would suggest using my original photos for this project, which I give my permission to do as long as you honor the copyright. First thing I want to mention is that Im not good at putting my thoughts down on paper so if there is anything you dont understand just tell me and Ill try to explain it another way. Photoshop has always been my software of choice. I do not know if this will work with anything else. Ok.. Lets get started.. I think the hardest part about blending is finding photos that make a good match.. If your working on realism then you have to be concerned about matching lighting, shadows etc. Not always easy to do, but if you are not sure of a match post it here in the forum. I have and they have helped me more then once. The two photos I have used here were taken on the same day at different locations. It was not intended to be a masterpiece. I was simply trying to make a couple of photos more interesting. I going to assume you know some basic Photoshop.. Also. I work with a Sony PC so if youre using a Mac some of the keys might be a little different. This most important thing is never work on a original photo. I usually like to work with an 8x10 document at 300dpi so Ill have the option to print. When I refer to the menu bar you will find it at your upper left corner under Adobe Photoshop. Take both of the original photos and drag them over to the new document. I had the Seagull layer as the top layer. Resize them using the (menu bar) Edit/FreeTransform/Scale. Make sure you hold down the shift key on the seagull layer to keep its proportions I resized the layer with the leaves to fill the 8x10. The seagull layer I had lowered the opacity so I could place and resize the bird before I started blending. Once thats done bring the opacity back up to 100 percent.. Next make sure the seagull layer is highlighted then go to (menu bar) Layer/Add Layer Mask/Reveal All.. Click on the Gradient Tool and choose the ForeGround to Transparent Gradient. You should see the mask icon appear on the seagull layer along with the square box with the white circle which means you are in masking mode.. Also under the (menu bar) on the right of where you selected the Color Gradient you will see five boxes which are different types of gradients. I usually use the Radial. Before you start make sure you set the color swatches on the tool bar back to the default colors Blk/Wht. Ok. I guess were ready to start.. To get the feel of blending, start taking the Gradient Tool and drag it across the image. Use long and short drags to see the difference. If nothing happens reverse your Blk/Wht swatches. One color takes away, the other puts it back on.. In areas where you want to keep or bring back some sharp edges use the eraser while still in mask mode. Now all you need is some practice. Try different size strokes with the gradient tool. Sometimes you might have to repeat the stroke more then once.. If you blended too much simply undo or reverse the Blk/Wht swatches to put some back. Try different opacities in the gradient menu bar.. Use the eraser tool in mask mode to see what it does.. I think I thought of everything. Post your results here if you wish for I would very much like to see them. Feel free to ask any questions. If anybody else can add to this feel free for I do not claim to be an expert. I can only teach what works for me.. Hope This Helps. If you wish to see other examples you can find some in my gallery. http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ezByArtist=Yes&Artist=BusyB967 Ed P

BusyB967 ( ) posted Thu, 30 June 2005 at 11:26 PM

file_264178.jpg

Bird pic

BusyB967 ( ) posted Thu, 30 June 2005 at 11:27 PM

file_264180.jpg

Plant pic

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 01 July 2005 at 12:16 PM

Very nice job u did on this!! I actually thought that the first pic was the original! lol!

soulofharmony ( ) posted Fri, 01 July 2005 at 2:32 PM

thanks busy explained well..:)...)) like pascale thought the first image was for real hehehehe.. well done

I Discovered the secret of the sea in mediation upon the dewdrop ... Sand and Foam Gibran

<a href="http://www.soulofharmonyphotographics.org/">Visit My Website</a>

3DGuy ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2005 at 8:24 PM

still needs some worh as the metal to the left is transparent all the way and showing through the leaves.

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

BusyB967 ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2005 at 9:00 PM

3DGuy.. It could probably could use a little tweaking. Like I said it wasn't meant to be a masterpiece. It's only purpose here is to show anybody who would like to know the technique a simple example. I don't think I could post an easier example then this.. And in all fairness if I'm looking at the same leaf that you are, would you have seen it if you had not seen the before pic and leaving that out might have been intentional. This is simply a reply to your comment and not meant to sound harsh. But thanks anyway...

3DGuy ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2005 at 10:25 PM ยท edited Sat, 02 July 2005 at 10:26 PM

NGHAAA.. now I've lost 2 replies.. pressed post reply and got some weird overview of rendo..I'll post a comprehensive answer tomorrow, but I will say I saw the manipulation at once without having seen the source images.

Message edited on: 07/02/2005 22:26

BusyB967 ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2005 at 12:03 AM

Ok 3DGuy.. You got me curious now.. I see two places that I could have improved on, but like I said I never took this piece too seriously anyway. But your refering to the metal on the left and I'm not seeing it. Doesn't mean it's not there. Just means I'm not seeing it ..:) I feel your pain about the no replies. I'm at a point where I copy first before I post so I don't have to retype..

3DGuy ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2005 at 8:46 AM

I meant the metal pole on the right, not the left.. my bad. I also realise now you were just doing a quick and dirty example. I must admit I only read your technique the second time I came to this thread and I'm still wondering why you're using the gradient tool. The way I'd do it is place the leaves layer on top (since it's the foreground) and then use the magic wand to select the sky. Optionally go into quickmask mode to gaussion blur the selection for a few pixels (how much depending on the resolution). Then back in regular mode press delete to erase the sky in the leaves layer. Presto, the seagull behind the leaves. I did the following on about 2 minutes: blend.jpg Note I also blurred the leaves just a tad for realism. Not posting this to put you down, just offering my observations and (hopefully) helpfull info :) AARGH.. wth is wrong with rendo.. I press post and get the forum listing.. luckily I c/p-ed this post beforehand

BusyB967 ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2005 at 9:43 AM

file_264182.jpg

I know there were easier ways to do this. I choose the blending technique for the practise. it's like doodling on paper to me. Like I said the purpose of this post was simply to show how blending worked. Or at least the way I know how to do it. Like I said this was a request. I've come to really enjoy using this technique and have had some nice results. I don't claim to be an expert and when it comes to Photoshop I don't think I'll ever learn it all. And there is probably is always an easier way to do something. I've enjoyed your comments and please don't hesitate to leave more in the future. I don't have a lot to share but I do like to be helpful when I think I can.. Here is an example of one I workrd a little harder on..

3DGuy ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2005 at 10:24 AM

Don't hesitate to offer what you can :) We can all learn from eachother. Not saying your techniques are wrong.. just maybe awkward for this particular instance. For your last example they maybe totally right. Keep it up.

BusyB967 ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2005 at 12:56 PM

I don't think I ever do anything the easy way..:) And keep the input coming. Thanks. For anybody else that might be following this. The outcome of this pic is not important. This is simply a way to learn what the techniqne does before you attempt something more creative.. You can try the bird as the top layer or bottom layer to see the difference. Just play around with it until you get an idea what it does. Feel free to ask questions. I will try to answer them and if I can't I'm sure somebody will.. Good Luck

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.