Mon, Oct 7, 10:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Hellicopper wip

drawbridgep ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 7:23 PM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 10:20 AM

file_267141.jpg

Here's a new model I'm working on. Trouble with a helicopter that's not supposed to be easily seen, is that it's really hard to show it off.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

drawbridgep ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 7:24 PM

file_267144.jpg

here's another

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

drawbridgep ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 7:25 PM

file_267146.jpg

And from Wings so you can see it.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

TwistedBolt ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 7:53 PM

Good modeling, but shiny paint doesnt seem to fit.A flat black or dark grey seems more stealthy.

I eat babies.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 7:55 PM

Yeah, I was thinking of different things. black seemed nice (and default) but maybe a camo would be cool.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Incarnadine ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 8:57 PM

Phil, a couple of pointers, you need to lengthen the mast so you don't get bladestrike on either the tail or the nose. You need a blade pitch mechanism as well. I would also suggest moving to a 4 blade system (smoother with lower disc loading), with a slightly wider chord and less twist. The tips need to be thinner and swept back. For acciracy I would also add a nickle alloy anti-erosion srtip along the leading edge of each blade. I would also thin down the gun pylon and downsize that artillery (its too huge), serious drag and vibration issues. You are also going to need a bigger vertical stabilizer to get it to see cleaner air and a horizontal stab setup as well. Widen the stance of the main gear, ground stability in rough terrain is an issue. Why most rough field operators as for skid gear systems in place of wheels (more stable on non-level terrain). Sorry for going on about this. I think you have a cool idea here but it needs some tweaks to be more believable. (yes I do design for a major civil/paramil/mil helicopter manufacturer) As for paint, flat medium to dark grey on top feathering to light grey on belly.

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

drawbridgep ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 9:34 PM

Well, that's totally taken the fun out of it for me. Guess I'll move on to something else.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Khai ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 9:37 PM

nice chopper Phil! if ya want real.. take a photo.. thats the only other comment I've got to the other poster here..

kimpe ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 9:38 PM

Gee Incarnadine, what a killjoy. ;)

Incarnadine ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 9:57 PM

Aw crap Phil- I'm sorry, that was not my intent. I thought this was looking cool and wanted to help make it realy great like your steam engine and other models. I just wanted to help. Please accept my apologies! Richard

Incarnadine ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 10:04 PM

and yes, I do feel like an ass.

ysvry ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 10:37 PM

i find youre comments supportive inca, filip should not be so touchy , he should say sorry to you now , you only wanted to help make the picture look better, i like the heli as it is but with your improvements it will even look better.

for some free stuff i made
and for almost daily fotos

Incarnadine ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 10:46 PM

Phil has nothing to apologize for, I came on a bit over the top I think. I do hope that he can accept my apologies as I am serious about them. I also hope he can move past my clumsiness and continue with this as I honestly like the concept. I want it to be really cool and realistic like all the rest of his works.

Innovator ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 11:31 PM

wow...we have some sensitive people here. You shouldnt have to apologize at all Inca (although that is very classy of you). This is a public forum. If you post your work on this forum, you should be prepared to take some honest constructive criticism. How can you progress in this hobby of yours Phil, unless you can listen to what other people think about your work? He was only trying to help improve a model that he thought had a lot of potential.

Sans2012 ( ) posted Thu, 07 July 2005 at 12:26 AM

Hey Phil, what an awsome chopper! The work you've put in here is phenomenal. I just started using wings and am having a ball with it. As far as making it look more real, some people here just go over the top. They basically insult your intelligence when they point out minor details on a WIP. I mean it is a WIP isn't it:) And hey what if that is actually the way you wanted it? You would think some of these people have actually designed freaking real life, futuristic choppers or space age cars or plains or whatever. The point is that, when it comes to 3D, you can create that that does not exist:] Look forward to seeing the end result. I'm sure it will be cracking. Excellent work!!!

I never intended to make art.

UVDan ( ) posted Thu, 07 July 2005 at 3:36 AM
Forum Moderator

Attached Link: Bryce prop blur tut

But please do not be too proud to listen to Incarnadine. This is the kind of work I love to point newbies to when they ask if the free modeling apps are any good. Makes me ashamed to work in a multi hundred dollar modeler. I cannot wait to see your animation.

I am enclosing the link to Steve Sanvitos prop blur tut for future use in air to air shots.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

Dann-O ( ) posted Thu, 07 July 2005 at 3:37 AM

I agree with some of incandarines comments. The Huey Cobra which this most closely resembles has only two bladed rotors. I would add a bigger verticle stab. The gun is a bit over the top but soemthing similar that could fit there just like on the Huey is a multiple rocket launcher. I did repair helicopters for a few years myself.

The wit of a misplaced ex-patriot.
I cheated on my metaphysics exam by looking into the soul of the person next to me.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Thu, 07 July 2005 at 6:53 AM

Isn't the internet great, people can argue about the silliest little things that in a face to face conversation would never get more than a chuckle. Incandarines suggestions were probably totally correct, he is a helicopter designer after all and if I was designing an uber realistic model then I'd be the first to probe him (verbally of course) for information. When making a model like this there is a balance between realistic and fun and I still do this for fun, so I kinda go off balance towards the fun side. Which may make the models unrealistic, but at least I'm happy. I'm still happy with this model. So, I probably will work on it (and take on board a few of the suggestions ;-) But I'm thinking bigger guns might look cool, or maybe more of them. I might even remove the rotor all together and add jets instead. That might be fun.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

drawbridgep ( ) posted Thu, 07 July 2005 at 10:12 AM

file_267150.jpg

OK, since it has issues as a chopper, how about this? ;-)

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Sans2012 ( ) posted Thu, 07 July 2005 at 10:27 AM

Now that is looking superb!!!

I never intended to make art.

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 07 July 2005 at 1:17 PM

well, first, the center of gravity's too far back and..;) Hey, it's great modeling. I thought the original blade tips looked 'strange'..but I've only even been in a helicopter once (and that the 'ol 'egg beater' 60's type..;)..so what do I know?..;) Maybe just a couple of smaller fans under the cockpit, and you're dealing..of course, I don't know what that would do to the propwash of the back props vis-a-vis turbulence, downdrafts, etc..;)
It's only a model
-Patsy, MPATHG
..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

UVDan ( ) posted Thu, 07 July 2005 at 1:52 PM
Forum Moderator

now it is even better, more menacing, more futuristic!!! Love the new render which shows the excellent cockpit details.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

MoonGoat ( ) posted Thu, 07 July 2005 at 4:24 PM

Wow! Looks like something the goverment keeps under-wraps in a hanger somewhere!

diolma ( ) posted Thu, 07 July 2005 at 5:19 PM

Errrmm.. According to the shadows, the rear twin boosters (or whatever they are) aren't actually attached to the fusilage..:-)) LOL. It's SCI-FI!! The guns have anti-recoil mechanisms built in (based on the recently invented "inertia reducer"), the boosters are attached via "strange-force attractors", the centre of gravity is in fact dead-centre due to a combination of inertia-reducers acting on strahmge-force attractors, and it will work in space, too....:-)) Cheers, Diolma

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 07 July 2005 at 7:07 PM

hmm..inertial dampeners..great idea..and graviton-redirection..;) sounds great (hey, I'm an old pro at coming up with stories to focus attention where it should go..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Incarnadine ( ) posted Thu, 07 July 2005 at 8:04 PM · edited Thu, 07 July 2005 at 8:11 PM

I WANT ONE! (seriously!) Wierd, it trimmed off half of my post. I had also said that if you ever put this up as a freebie mesh I was gonna be the first to download it!

Message edited on: 07/07/2005 20:11

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.