Thu, Sep 19, 5:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:23 pm)

Subject: Quick question about selecting body parts in document window.

chinnei ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2005 at 8:57 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 12:29 PM

Is there an option in poser where I can select only the body part that I see? When I click on a body part, it sometimes picks a part that's hidden behind it and it really is annoying trying to pick the right one.

Thanks for the help.

zulu9812 ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2005 at 9:01 AM

Rather than click on the window, it is better to select the body part in the pop-up menu at the top left of the window

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2005 at 9:01 AM

Don't click on a body part. Select it from the drop down list.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

chinnei ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2005 at 9:34 AM

You are talking about the pull down menu right below the document window?

Well the thing is, I am using a 800X600 desktop resolution, and when I click on a pull down menu I have to click and hold again on a down arrow which takes a very long time to cycle through the body parts because of the large fonts.

So I guess there is no such an option to disable selecting hidden parts, right?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2005 at 9:48 AM

800 x 600 isn't a good res to use Poser. 1024 x 768 is better if you can use it. In fact, the higher the better, if your monitor supports it and your eyes can stand it. I run mine at 1600 x 1200 on a 19" CRT and that's not big enough for my liking. I'm guessing you're using P4, since P5/P6 won't run properly at 800 x 600. I can't remember if P4 has this but on P5/P6 you can select body parts from a list attached to the parameter dials. AFAIK there is no way to disable hidden parts.

My Store

My Gallery

chinnei ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2005 at 10:06 AM

I am actually using P5, and I use 800X600 because combination of my bad eye sight and small monitor screen.

Well, it's too bad that there is no such an option.
Thanks for the help anyways.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2005 at 10:24 AM

That's odd. P5 is reckoned to throw a fit at a low res. If you use the body part list from the parameter dials, at least you have a screenful of travel to help you along. One other reason why it's a bad idea to click on a body part to select is that you can sometimes accidentally move the part. Not good when you're creating poses.

My Store

My Gallery

onimusha ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2005 at 10:53 AM

I'd definitely raise my resolution. I used to run P5 at 1024x768 with an 800x600 document window and even that was too small. Poser, like many graphics programs, is not for the faint of resolution...

xantor ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2005 at 1:27 PM

P5 works ok with a resolution of 800x600 but a part of the face room can`t be seen properly and it might affect the material room, too.

momodot ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2005 at 2:15 PM

I have to work on a high resolution because my screen is tiny and the darned interface on nearly all my apps takes too much screen realestate. When using Poser 4 I use the Poser to interface option but in Poser 6 I never have room for the libries and parmeters panels... I realy miss the old P2 consolidated panel UI. My problem these days is I can't see the Face Romm preview easily... anyone know how to hack the window size there? At least I can be thankfull for the mini camera controls... I miss the Poser 4 Materials box though :(

maclean ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2005 at 3:37 PM

You can use the Hierarchy Editor to select body parts, but it's a bit finicky at times. Menu> Window> Hierarchy Editor (alt-w-h) mac

Smoker1000 ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2005 at 5:01 PM

To answer your question, as asked 1) yes, you can use direct selection but as you've already discovered, it can be tricky. It may help to remember that you stand the best chance by pointing at the center of the body part. 2) yes, you may select by using the hierarchy editor but that wasn't your question, and 3) no, sometimes when there is more than one body part stacked in front of another, making a direct selection can be damned difficult and you just have to go through the body part selection list. The main reasons to NOT use direct selection are 1) selecting the wrong part by mistake and making a change to the wrong part by accident, 2) actually making a change just in the process of selecting, sometimes Poser will give the body part a twitch when you click on it. Best wishes, hope you find an adequate solution for your problem. - Mark

chinnei ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2005 at 7:11 PM

Thanks for the explanation Mark. I've gotten so use to clicking on a document screen that it's gonna be hard to break that habit. I guess I better get use to selecting from the list before making some serious mistakes.

Smoker1000 ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 12:29 PM

One other thing, I've seen some screens where it was apparent that the default font was altered. You might ask here about it and see if it's possible to change the font to one you're more comfortable with. - Mark

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.