Thu, Sep 19, 4:05 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: How many photos do you have on your hard drive or backed up?

jdw4jesus ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2005 at 6:34 PM ยท edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 10:27 AM

I have 2,498 pictures on my hard drive that my mother and I have taken since early May...I was wondering how "normal" I was among you guys...also, what are they mostly pictures of? For me it is scenery and pictures of us fishing! :) Also, if you guys have any idea, how many pictures have you guys taken SINCE YOU STARTED WITH DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY??? I am expecting this number to be in the thousands...for me it is about 6,000 :D I think this will be very interesting

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2005 at 6:52 PM ยท edited Sat, 16 July 2005 at 6:53 PM

1000's...literally...all backed up on three hard drives and Phototainer!...gotta be safe :)...wildlife and macro!

Message edited on: 07/16/2005 18:53

kimariehere ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2005 at 7:23 PM

between my three computers and the one that is not fived about 15 thousand... but cant get to two compts..

kimmers โ™ฅ :O)

3DGuy ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2005 at 8:42 PM

My computer informs me that there are currently 9394 photographs stored on my server. Mirrored on my main computer. These were all taken in the last 2 years. That's just the digital images, all the analog things are in books in a closet (how the heck do you backup negatives and slides ?) They represent anything from a concert to the kids of my family to motorcycle events and nature photography.

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

zhounder ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2005 at 9:53 PM

I have about 200 CDs and DVDs and I am guessing that there are another 8-10gig on my machine that I need to backup. these are just from my D100's (one got stolen). Overall that totals somewhere near 18,000 taken since December 2003. If you add the previous 2 digital cameras, that would be another 15,000 - 20,000 images. (actually killed the Olympus. Wore it out) Those are backedup on another 200 discs. That would be all since August 2000 when I got my first digital.

Zacko ( ) posted Sun, 17 July 2005 at 12:13 AM

Guessing its somewhere between 10-15000, even though i try to clear out my folders regulary. Took over 1000 shots last week alone when i was abroad.

How come we say 'It's colder than hell outside' when isn't it realistically always colder than hell since hell is supposed to be fire and brimstone?

Andreas

Mystic Pic

DJB ( ) posted Sun, 17 July 2005 at 1:55 AM

I have way too many to count. But burn them and reomve from HD. I was reading now about this olympus camera that boasts the shtter can handle 150 000 clicks. I had no idea that shutters wore out. So what then?

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

Erlik ( ) posted Sun, 17 July 2005 at 2:46 AM

I'm small fry. I've got about 3300 photos taken during the last two years. That's because I'm lazy. I take couple hundred photos and then nothing for a month or more. 8.9 gigabytes. I really should buy a DVD burner. :-/

-- erlik

Enmos ( ) posted Sun, 17 July 2005 at 4:00 AM ยท edited Sun, 17 July 2005 at 4:09 AM

I have 14531 pics on my HD (shot since june 2003) and some still on flashcard. In total there is 28 GB of pics. I decided last week i needed to back them up on DVD, still in the process now lol So far i backed up 8434 shots , so still 6097 to go sigh
Besides this, i need to buy me a back HD too, so i can store my pics in three places... just to be safe :o)

Most pics are macros, so insects and small creatures. There are quite a few landscape shots there as well. And then i have some family pics as well as a few experimental ones. But the macros take up at least 80 % of the space i think.

Message edited on: 07/17/2005 04:09

vkirchner ( ) posted Sun, 17 July 2005 at 8:44 AM

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Sun, 17 July 2005 at 9:14 AM

For all the people who backup to CD, you might want to Goodgle around for reliability information.

mjr ( ) posted Sun, 17 July 2005 at 2:57 PM ยท edited Sun, 17 July 2005 at 3:13 PM

Attached Link: Film (still) kicks ass

I have about 30,000 images I've shot since I started playing with digital, and that's in addition to two shelves of books full of medium format negatives. In terms of the total amount of data stored, the film blows the digital out of the water, of course.

My images live on 2 OpenBSD-based servers which offer up about 1.5terabytes each onto my home LAN. One of the servers is in a different building (my studio, a separate structure 500 feet from my house) connected via a wireless bridge network. The 2 servers rsync eachother to stay up to
date, so if something happens to one I'll not lose very many files - only a day's work, max.
Image permanence of digital concerns me greatly. Not just the "media permanence" but the "image value" permanence. Consider this: when I first started doing photography, "digital imaging" was ASCII art. Since the 1980's we've seen zillion-fold improvements in image resolution, whereas the human eye hasn't improved at all. Yet resolution keeps going up because manufacturers need to sell newer stuff and mord hard disks, etc. But if you look at the "ugrade path" of digital imaging, unless something changes rather dramatically, the images we're working so hard to capture today are going to be garbage tomorrow. A kid's eye-bug/cellchat/camera system in 2015 is going to be shooting 64megapixel 128-bit color images. What will be the value of today's laboriously captured 6megapixel images? None?
I wrote a short rant about this entitled "film (still) kicks as&" that might amuse you if you're concerned about this stuff. Note: I am not a "film nazi" - I love all photography. But I've spent too long around computers (I started in the late 1970's)not to understand that technology taketh away as often as it gives.
I made prints 5 years ago from some 1900's glass plates that a friend of my father found in storage. What will your CDs be like in 2110?

Message edited on: 07/17/2005 15:12

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2005 at 1:17 PM

Here at work, I have almost 4,000 in iPhoto alone and hundred loose in other folders. At home, I expect I have over 15,000 in iPhoto and goodness know how many other elsewhere. I really need to organize them better, thanks for reminding me. ;]

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

jdw4jesus ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2005 at 5:22 PM

I was quite the "shutterbug" yesterday and I took 365 pictures at my Grandma's birthday party! Sorry, my little poor Fuji, lol. I am up to 2,775 pictures now....I deleted some of my pictures from the party... Just out of curiousity, how many pictures will the camera take with proper care until the shutter wears out, or is it not supposed to? Take care and GOD BLESS, Jonathan

unstrung65 ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2005 at 11:40 PM

.......I probably have about 500 images and photos on my hard drive....and I would imagine I take less than 2000 film photos a year ---most of them hit the trash can --- so I would guess I also retain about 500 4x6 prints ---I would think 30,000 photos would be daunting to sort through - but I guess some people are collectors......I still believe less is more.

mjr ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2005 at 8:16 AM

I sort them as I take them, so it's not bad. The negatives go into books sorted by date and shoot, with a contact sheet for each set of negatives. I use pretty much the same system with digital stuff - I have a deep file tree heirarchy and every directory has a photoshop image cache exported in it. I rely for memory on the rest - I know roughly who I shot doing what or what I shot where, so I can look in that directory tree and find it. With decent organization it's really not a problem to maintain a heck of a lot of images and still know what's where. I'm not a "collector" - they're images I shot and I believe that if I once thought it was worth shooting, I probably should think it's worth keeping. :) I'll let my heirs throw it all away if they are so inclined but I'm not going to. mjr.

MGD ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2005 at 10:13 AM

On the HDD (and backed up): 2600 photo images in 130 folders, 3.02 GBy 250 uploaded images (sent to friends, here, etc.) 19,000 downloaded images (for my reference, fair usage, personal use, not for distribution), 1.17 Gby Even though you didn't ask ... film and slides ... as a guess about 5,000 images Other media (LP, cassette, CD, VHS, DVD) ... about 1,000 books that are graphics intensive (art books, herbals, maps, costume, crafts, construction, schematics, graphic novels, &c.) ... about 1,000 books related to computers over 500 books related to history over 500 all other books (mostly SF&F) could be about 4,000 MGD

MGD ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2005 at 10:20 AM

Ooooppps ... I just thought of another category ... Bookcases ... no, I don't have enough. MGD

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.