Fri, Oct 25, 7:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Vigneting??? Help needed plz gang! ;)

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 10:10 PM · edited Fri, 25 October 2024 at 7:19 AM

file_270444.jpg

Do u see those darker patches on the top corners of the pic??? I believe this is what u call vigneting? Yes? No? And I would love to know how to avoid this!! Plz gang, help! :D

DJB ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 10:46 PM

I know what you mean for images other than this one.But I think if you lightened the back layer on its own, then did your contrast and shadow darkening on the forefront buildings you would have avoided it. But then I could be wrong. Darn...Michelle got me on that contradict thing now ....LOL

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 11:49 PM

I don't think I can do that in cam dear!!! ;P These darker patches are on the original shot too!! I wouldn't have done this in postwork dear!

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 11:53 PM

I guess the only way to solve the prob is a wide angle lens? yes? No?

DJB ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 12:44 AM

Well you got me stumped now my dear....Filter?...

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 12:59 AM

Filter?? what do u mean??

coolj001 ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 1:20 AM

Maybe those are symnetrical clouds. Cool shot ;-)

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 1:24 AM

LOL@Jeff!! Yea right!! Thx mate! ;)

DJB ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 1:52 AM

Did u have a filter on lens?

coolj001 ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 2:00 AM

Pascale...Maybe this will help?: http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/vignetting.html

coolj001 ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 2:02 AM

Your photo looks similar to the example of optical vignetting on that web site.

coolj001 ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 2:04 AM

There is even a remedy section at the end of the article! ok, hope i was of some assistance ...:-)

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 2:28 AM

No Doug, I don't use any filter!! And thx jeff, gonna check this out right now! ;)

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 2:39 AM

Wicked!! I got it now! Thx a bunch Jeff for that excellent link!! I shot this at F/2.8! I guess I should have shot it at a smaller aperture and the vignette would have disappeared!! magic! :D

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 7:15 AM

Tibet, depends on the camera you are using, I think. (when referring to shooting at a smaller aperture). Additionally, PS 9 can correct vignetting (some). And, as to your image, looks to me more like it's slightly darker on the verticle sides, not just corner.

beekz ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 7:21 AM

or u an just mask out that area and make it lighter using curves. 1 minute work.

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 3:39 PM

@Chuck: I use a 'lil consumer cam and after reading Jeff's link, it makes sense why there's some vignetting! with a smaller aperture, it wouldn't have been vignetted! I noticed this on other pics of mine and it's always on "lanscapes" shot with bigger aperture! So with this specific cam, I think a smaller aperture in those conditions is the answer to the problem! But I will try it out of course to make sure! ;) @beekz: The question was: how to fix it in cam! ;) But thx anyway!

Sylvaine ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 5:48 PM

Sorry Pascale..I'm a real ganster'Calamiry-...and can only kill you if you are Al Capone...

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 6:27 PM

My dear Sylvaine, I'm afraId U've lost me here! O_o LOL!

zahnfee ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2005 at 7:18 PM

Anyway, vignetting seems to be a general lens problem. According to dpreview differences in luminance greater than 15% may be visible in everyday shots. At dpreview you can have a look at the in-depth review / Photographic tests page for your cam, for the sony DSC-V3, for example: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscv3/page13.asp

coolj001 ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2005 at 10:37 PM

Cool...I use a compact consumer digi cam too! :-), but I also have a film SLR...just don't use it as often(as of yet). Pascale, I'm glad you found that link useful. -Jeff :-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.