Thu, Sep 19, 4:17 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Selective color thing

Damia ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2005 at 5:22 PM ยท edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 4:12 PM

Okay, I have no idea how you guys do that.....where the image in b/w except for a few choice parts that are color. Anyone know of any good tuts on it? I have always wanted to try this, but haven't. Thanks!

~Damia~ LeviathanPhotography

3DGuy ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2005 at 5:42 PM

Most simple thing.. make a new layer with your image so you have 2 layers with the same image. Make the top one b/w. Then use the eraser on the parts you want in colour. Second method. Add a hue/saturation layer, turn it down. Then edit the layer mask and delete the parts you want in colour.

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

zhounder ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2005 at 5:44 PM

Quick Tut... Duplicate the image in Layers. Convert the top layer to B&W. Carefully erase the parts you want in color. Done! A google search on "Coloring images" may turn up something if you would like more details. Magick Michael

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2005 at 6:06 PM

Mmmmh! I do it totally differently I must say! I select the parts I want in color with the magnetic lasso tool, then right click, select inverse and then desaturate! ;)

3DGuy ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2005 at 6:11 PM

Hmm zhounder.. that's exactly what I said ;)

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

zhounder ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2005 at 7:06 PM

Yo 3D! GMTA!

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2005 at 8:38 PM

what's GMTA??? O_o

zhounder ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2005 at 8:42 PM

Great Minds Think Alike!

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2005 at 8:46 PM

Oooooh! ;)

jocko500 ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2005 at 10:47 PM

I use a magic wane set to a number to what the object hue is[like set on 30 and use + to touch the objuct . If to high then set it to 20] and cope and paste it so it be a new layer. or use a line drawing to draw what I wish then cope and paste it so it be a new layer and If I overdraw I can use a transparant brust to fade or erase what I do not need. and do not worry about mess ups there a undo or back arrow to get back to where you was Or i use a edge finder to trace what I wish and cope and paste it down. for when I paste it it makes a new layer. Just play around with the program you have there many ways to do the same thing.

what you see is not what you know; it in your face

jocko500 ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2005 at 10:54 PM

I got two programs photoshop9 and Picture it, Digital Image Suite 9. I used programs that came I downloaded from the web as freeware use google to find them. they not as good but will do many things. and it better than nothing. You can make the color thing with them too. for I made toons with them. cut and paste made black and white. lots of things just have fun and play and laff too hahaha

jocko500 ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2005 at 11:02 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=631533&Start=451&Artist=jocko500&ByArtist=Yes

file_273311.jpg

hare part of one of my toons and the link shows another toon like image I made whis these freeware programs but I just use the two I brought now. If you have no money freeware is better than nothing

jocko500 ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2005 at 11:07 PM

I know the toons is off subject but it shows what you can do with freeware. and you can do the color thing with them too. I think I just made all this complex

kimariehere ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2005 at 11:21 PM

ok i go into paint shop pro (7) -then go to color s and then go Color---- adjust and then to channel mixer and turn it to black and white - then i go to the retouch tool take the color to target tool adjust the brush anywhere from 7-20 and color it the color i want by hand....i try differant ones this gives me the freedom to hand tint it ecactly how i like.. dont know if you have paintshop pro you can get free trails... i used paintshop pro 7 for this as i like the tools better than 9 . ( is better for photoretouch and 3-d) hope i have helped in my little way here.,. kimmer!!

kimmers โ™ฅ :O)

DJB ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2005 at 12:15 AM

file_273313.jpg

There is another way to make an image seem B&W with a hint of colour. Take the image and in Photoshop(elements is fine too) and do desaturation until you have desired effect. I think they look great like that.I did it with this one.Not sure if this is what you are talking about.But here it is

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

Zacko ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2005 at 8:45 AM ยท edited Wed, 20 July 2005 at 8:46 AM

Well heres how i do it:

1. Duplicate layer.
  2. Convert the top layer to B/W or whatever the effect you want it to have.
  3. Add a layermask to that layer. Then i just start painting it to reveal the layer beneath it. If youre not sure on how layermasks work keep reading.

Advantages to that compared to using the eraser is that if you slip up you can always "paint it back". Another sweet advantage is that you can change your brush to a softer one around the edges making the transission (spellcheck the swede without a dictionary please) alot smoother. Or simply add a gaussian blur to it once youre done. Yup, using layermasks is the way to go if you ask me. I have written a basic tut on that, saved as a PDF-file and i can mail it to you if you like. If so just IM me your email-adress. Good luck #:O)

Message edited on: 07/20/2005 08:46

How come we say 'It's colder than hell outside' when isn't it realistically always colder than hell since hell is supposed to be fire and brimstone?

Andreas

Mystic Pic

Zacko ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2005 at 9:15 AM

file_273315.jpg

Okay, just has to share another little tip. Instead of masking the B/W-layer i move that below the original one and then i add a mask to that one. Then i use the paintbucket and fill up the entire mask with black. Then change to white and start painting what i want to be shown "through" the B/W-layer. Hope you can see how i mean by looking at the screenshot im posting. The advantage with this is that once youre done painting your mask and you see your final result, you can always just duplicate the original layer (if you havent already done that that is. Always good to keep a few extra) and try different effects such as sephia or something that resembles a sketch or something. The options are unlimited if you mask that layer which will be kept original so to speak. Hmmm...wonder if i make any sense. Not that good at explaining without showing.

How come we say 'It's colder than hell outside' when isn't it realistically always colder than hell since hell is supposed to be fire and brimstone?

Andreas

Mystic Pic

Damia ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2005 at 11:12 AM ยท edited Wed, 20 July 2005 at 11:22 AM

Thank you guys for all the great tips! Now I have to find a good photo to do this to. There are so many different ways to do the same thing. :) Thanks Pascale, 3DGuy, and Magick Michael for those. Jocko, thanks for the toon stuff. That's very interesting. Pretty cool effect. Doug, your photo is very cool, not quite what I was looking for, but still a very cool idea I have to try. And Andreas, really cool image. I am going to have to try that! Okay, now to look for a suitable image to play with. Thanks!!!

Message edited on: 07/20/2005 11:22

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2005 at 4:18 PM

I agree Doug, that is a cool shot and the hint of color very effective. When I do the selective color Damia, it always depends on the image. Always make a new layer so you have the original if you need it. Sometimes all you have to do is destaturate all the colors except the one you want. Or select and copy the area you want in color, paste it into a new layer, then destaturate the layer below. I find that feathering the edges of the selection creates a nice blend and helps keep the color portion from looking "cut-out." Experiment and see what works best for you...you certainly have options! 8]

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

Damia ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2005 at 5:18 PM

file_273318.jpg

Okay, don't laugh. I know this isn't the best, but I wanted to try it on something and this was the first one I saw. Even though the lips are really colorful compared to the rest, (that is the natural color in the original, I didn't saturate or anything) I kind of like it. It may not be gallery worthy (I so want this image in my gallery.....I'm still working on it), but I think it's a good start. (?) Thanks for all the great advice and ideas. I have lots to experiment with now!! :)

Zacko ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2005 at 5:26 PM

Well i for one think it looks amazing. And you picked a perfect subject to start practicing on. Hurray for you having so much fun....and hush, of course its gallery worthy silly woman. Especially if you like it. So which technique did you go with?

Andreas

Mystic Pic

Damia ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2005 at 5:39 PM

I used your tut, Andreas! I have never worked with a mask before, so I thought I would give it a try. I like the way it works. I think the way I do it will depend on the image. I realize each image is different and what works for one may not look as good for another. So I am going to write all this down (or bookmark the page) for future reference until I get better at it. You think it's gallery worthy? Aww....I'll play with it a little more...maybe this will show up in my gallery after my balloon series. ;) Thanks!

jocko500 ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2005 at 8:31 PM

you right about what work in one will not work good in another. That why I use diff ways and try to tell you in a thumbnail of a anwer. Just play around a lot. Take time to learn things and the first step you did is very good and you had fun and you liked it. to me like it too lol these lips [hug and kiss]

Damia ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2005 at 10:11 PM

LOL You're so sweet, jocko. Thank you. And thanks for your toon stuff. Very cool. ;) hugs

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Thu, 21 July 2005 at 8:21 AM

Pretty cool indeed Damia! And what a great shot! Superb compo on this! :)

Damia ( ) posted Thu, 21 July 2005 at 11:35 AM

Thanks, Pascale! I'm going to work on it a bit and post it after my balloons. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.