Wed, Sep 18, 2:44 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 8:39 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Very long word spoiling the layout of the Graffiti Wall again, despite promises

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Sun, 24 July 2005 at 4:11 AM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 1:35 AM

It's happened again. The culprit is quoted here. At 09:21 on Tue Apr 15th, Anonymous scribbled "hhhhhhsdjfjfjvnjdjnbbnbldslkfgkdjgdfgjdlfkjgdljgdlfgjdflgj dflgjdgkljdfgkljdglkdfjgkdgjkldgdfkgdfklgdflkgjkdflnfkldbfk dnldfkbnlblkbnfklbnflkbnlfbnsflkbnsflkbnlfkbnksnbklfnblsfbn lksfnblksbnlskbnlkfnblkbnlfnflbnfgbnlfnb ya! "

tutone1234 ( ) posted Sun, 24 July 2005 at 10:47 AM

Anthony - that comment was made before the code changes were implemented. We didn't go through the database and modify old comments - just comments going forward are analyzed upon submission. Tommy Renderosity programmer

Ardiva ( ) posted Sun, 24 July 2005 at 11:12 AM · edited Sun, 24 July 2005 at 11:14 AM

Can't all the posts in the wall be deleted and then members can start posting under the new analyzing structure, thereby eliminating long posts altogether?

Message edited on: 07/24/2005 11:14

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Sun, 24 July 2005 at 11:39 AM

Sorry.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sun, 24 July 2005 at 8:38 PM

Good idea Ardiva....{of course my personal favorite would be just to eliminate all the posts...period ~lol~} Can any of the staff answer the question I have asked over and over before? 'What' exactly is the graffiti wall for? {and please spare me "Its a form of art"}

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Sun, 24 July 2005 at 8:46 PM

"Tear Down This Wall" Sorry..couldn't resist. 8 )~ Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

BDC ( ) posted Sun, 24 July 2005 at 9:14 PM
  1. Re: Very long word spoiling the layout of the Graffiti Wall again, despite prom by jumpstartme2 on 7/24/05 20:38 Good idea Ardiva....{of course my personal favorite would be just to eliminate all the posts...period ~lol~} Can any of the staff answer the question I have asked over and over before? 'What' exactly is the graffiti wall for? {and please spare me "Its a form of art"} It would appear to me, to be simply another version of the ot forum.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act" ~George Orwell

Mark_uk ( ) posted Sun, 24 July 2005 at 9:26 PM

oh OK ban it. Delete it. I don't know what it is so let's ban it. It's the last refuge. It's not art. It doesn't make any money. How can we market it? Maybe Thorne will sponsor it? HUH

elizabyte ( ) posted Sun, 24 July 2005 at 9:31 PM

Can't all the posts in the wall be deleted and then members can start posting under the new analyzing structure, thereby eliminating long posts altogether? No, that makes far too much sense. :-) bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

Ardiva ( ) posted Sun, 24 July 2005 at 9:39 PM

LOL@Bonni ;)

Sasha_Maurice ( ) posted Sun, 24 July 2005 at 10:32 PM

What! Ditch the Graffiti Wall and miss gems like this?

At 18:59 on Tue Jul 19th, Mooselot screamed " Have you ever seen Sally P Water. She pisses one hell of a stream. she pisses a mile and 3/4, and you can't see her ass for the steam."

lol

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Sun, 24 July 2005 at 11:19 PM

Attached Link: http://www.orbilat.com/Languages/Latin_Vulgar/Texts/Pompeii_Graffiti.html

I've visited the Graffiti Wall maybe 5 times since I've been a Renderosity member. I've even posted something on it 1 or 2 times -- I forget how many.

It's been a few months since my last check-in with the GW.

You know -- one of the interesting discoveries uncovered in the ancient Roman city of Pompeii (yes, the town that was destroyed by Vesuvius) had to do with the Latin idea of graffiti. And this graffiti was actually painted on a wall.........

It seems that the ancients had a more literary bent than we do today -- at least some of the time. Roman graffiti expressed such sentiments as "Someone at whose table I do not dine, Lucius Istacidius, is a barbarian to me."

Here's a link to the ancient graffiti of Pompeii -- listed both in the original Latin and translated into English.

The more things change......the more they stay the same.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Sun, 24 July 2005 at 11:24 PM · edited Sun, 24 July 2005 at 11:25 PM

Attached Link: http://www.personal.kent.edu/~bkharvey/roman/classes/graffiti.htm

Here's some more ancient graffiti. Much of it reads like the Graffiti Wall -- with some glaring exceptions.

Message edited on: 07/24/2005 23:25

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Sun, 24 July 2005 at 11:31 PM

Here's a good one from Pompeii:

VIII.2 (in the basilica); 1904: O walls, you have held up so much tedious graffiti that I am amazed that you have not already collapsed in ruin.

This statement has a familiar ring to it.........

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2005 at 1:09 AM

** oh OK ban it. Delete it. I don't know what it is so let's ban it. It's the last refuge. It's not art. It doesn't make any money. How can we market it?** For some strange reason, Jurrasic Park flashed thru my mind while reading this post..ya know where they are all in the dining room talking about the outcome of what they have done, and the guy Malcom slams his fist on the table saying something like "You dont know what you have, but before ya know it, your slapping a price on it, and you wanna sell it..something along those lines anyways.. LOL

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2005 at 1:13 PM

'What' exactly is the graffiti wall for? {and please spare me "Its a form of art"}

It is a fun area of the community to leave a quote, comment, etc. Just something fun. Not meant to be this serious:) Just for fun

Stacey
Community Manager

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2005 at 2:10 PM

Blue Collar Zen #28 28. No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. Tom

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2005 at 2:47 PM

:) so true Tom.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2005 at 3:01 PM

(House of Pascius Hermes; left of the door); 7716: To the one defecating here. Beware of the curse. If you look down on this curse, may you have an angry Jupiter for an enemy.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2005 at 3:02 PM

Now that's serious.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2005 at 3:03 PM · edited Mon, 25 July 2005 at 3:05 PM

I feel for ya Stacey.

I know all about it.

8 )
Tom

Message edited on: 07/25/2005 15:05

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2005 at 8:04 PM

I am still waiting for one of the mods to tell everybody to "cool down".

tongue.gif But those Pompeii things are not bad. It must have been a real bummer having those locos scrawl dirty Latin limericks all over one's villa wall.

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2005 at 9:54 PM · edited Mon, 25 July 2005 at 9:55 PM

as requested.......

:-)

Guess that makes me "one of the mods"

Message edited on: 07/25/2005 21:55

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

dialyn ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2005 at 10:08 PM · edited Mon, 25 July 2005 at 10:10 PM

This reminds me of a social sciences experiment that was performed in our staff restrooms (locked from the public). The students went into the restrooms (male and female), decorated them with flowers and other nice touches such as thick, soft towels, and hung dry erase boards, with dry erase markers attached, inside the stalls. We were encouraged to write on the boards as we liked while we were idling inside the stalls. The students came into the restrooms every evening, took photos, and then reset the scene for the next morning.

In the beginning there was a great improvement in the restrooms. People threw their tissues and extra trash into the containers. We even saw a more polite behavior between us...we opened doors for each other and had polite conversation while washing our hands (well, in the women's restroom...I don't know what was going on with the men). Thoughtful philosophy was written on the dry erase boards. Everyone commented on the great improvement.

Over time (I think it was a period of a month) the restrooms became increasingly trashed. People stole or destroyed the flowers. The writings on the dry erase boards became increasely vulgar, and then eventually edged off the boards as people took the opportunity to write vulgarities on the walls and floors. People tsk tsk'd at how bad things were getting (but did nothing to clean up the mess).

Apparently it took less than a month for the veneer of civilization to erode and the true nature of the human creature be revealed.

It was all very sad, really.

But it's human nature, I guess.

Which makes you think.

Well, some of us.

I hope the students got an "A" in their class. They invested a lot of time and money in the experiment. But I bet they never looked as us so-called adults the same way again.

Message edited on: 07/25/2005 22:10

dialyn ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2005 at 10:35 PM

By the way, none of us knew, until it was over, that we were part of an experiment. We all thought management was just being nice to us by upgrading the bathroom conditions. Silly us.

salvius ( ) posted Tue, 26 July 2005 at 10:28 PM

Hey, look, one of my early posts:

I.4.5 (House of the Citharist; below a drawing of a man with a large nose); 2375: Amplicatus, I know that Icarus is buggering you. Salvius wrote this.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.