Sun, Sep 22, 2:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: Os X performance benchmarks: P4 Classic vs. P5 vs. P6?

tedbragg ( ) posted Mon, 01 August 2005 at 7:13 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 12:23 AM

I'm still poking around with P4 under classic mode. This thing's driving me nuts. how big an improvement would I see upgrading to P5 or P6? P6's ballyhooed OpenGL support on Mac--is this REALLY as good as we've been hoping? Or should I just get me a fast AMD box, install P4 and be done with using Macs for Poser work?

cripeman ( ) posted Mon, 01 August 2005 at 9:14 PM

Aw man...P5 is a huge leap from 4. Adding dynamics, real hair, and cloth. but the biggie is shader nodes. Which P6 improved on with the Toon Shader. Not to mention the ability to "bake" your shadow maps, keep your textures loaded as you build your render. both of them have flash export. face room, and easier joint creation. I'm looking at PC boxes too. They seem to play better with the software I like.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Mon, 01 August 2005 at 10:03 PM

I have never really run P4 in classic mode but P4 is faster in 9 than P5 and P6 is .. P6 is better than P5 but it is still slower than P4 from what I have experienced. It does do more stuff though. I do like the OpenGL in P6. I can't stand PC's but there are a lot of things that seem to be worse (scrolling through libraries etc) but it does run a bit faster from what the old tests showed. I just could never buy one no matter what. I hate them that much.

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 02 August 2005 at 6:05 AM

I have a mac and and lately a pc that 'm still getting the hang of. Poser 5 seems faster in the PC but I can't get it to work properly. poser 4 on the mac is unusably slow in classic mode in OS X.3 Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 02 August 2005 at 6:06 AM

OH, poser 6 is okay on mac using tiger operating system. Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

tedbragg ( ) posted Tue, 02 August 2005 at 9:13 AM

There's no question software apps ported to Mac are terrible in speed, but I do know this: Poser and Daz Studio fly on PCs. I had a Celeron 400Mhz a few years ago, and it performed faster than my new Mac Mini for Poser. WEIRD. Badly ported software. Anyway, I've been away from PCs for so long, I'm bewildered at the selection these days. I'm hoping to find a dirt cheap $200 AMD box or soemthing like that...intel'd work fine, too...

Jay7347 ( ) posted Tue, 02 August 2005 at 10:30 AM

Poser 6 on a MAC... IMHO its quick smooth and finally relatively bug free. Its come such a long way from P4 which really seems like the dark ages. As for comparison to DAZ studio...to me its no comparison P6 on Mac rocks! -jay

matsmolund ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2005 at 11:05 AM

To run things under classic mode is a waste of power. Upgrade to Poser 6. Im running it on a G5 and am very pleased.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.