Sat, Sep 21, 9:17 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: dems

bromyaur ( ) posted Wed, 21 February 2001 at 6:59 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:13 AM

After seeing a post about importing DEM'S into Bryce. I thought I would give it a try. Does anyone know where I can find Dem maps of Canada, downloadable. I have searched all over and found one or two sites and you have to buy them- unbelievable. Also in the previous post there was mention of changing file names to .dem, and also was a link to a tutorial for converting sts and dems to grayscale. I downloaded a dem zip went through all the procedures to convert it including the 3'rd party software and I could only get one to convert to grayscale. However I was just playing around and used file import object and just imported a dem without converting it in anyway. It worked, so it's got me wondering why do you have to convert it or change filenames at all. Am I missing something, or me being a newbie to Bryce am I asking a silly question? Any help in clearing this up would be appreciated, thanks

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 21 February 2001 at 8:17 PM

We might be doing things differently. When I download zip files from the USGS site, they unzip in a .gz format. When I go to import object under the file menu in Bryce 4.1, nothing is there. So when I go back to the directory where the .gz file is and rename it to a .dem, then the import object option sees the file and in it comes as a mesh. Does that make sense? The mesh is pretty flat so I raise the height just a bit an believe it or not, it really looks like the lay of the land. I'll post a few renderings in a bit. If you are talking grayscale, then it sounds like you're downloading jpg or gif images and using them in the terrain editor and creating a mesh from that.

EricofSD ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2001 at 1:47 AM

Go check out a tutorial, hope this helps. http://www.annsartgallery.com/tutdem.html

bromyaur ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2001 at 6:34 AM

Attached Link: http://home.att.net/~RShamlian/dems.htm

I used the term "grayscale" because of the term used in the tutorial link I used. I have no problems importing using the file menu, all seems to work fine. I was just wondering why this tutorial talks about converting to 'grayscale' when file-import object seems to work.However I am going to check out your tutorial when I am done here. Thanks

willf ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2001 at 5:21 PM

The tutorial may have been written B4 Bryce4 had the ability to import DEMs directly. Prior to Version 4 you had to use a grayscale height-map (I think V4).

EricofSD ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2001 at 11:35 PM

I guess there are several ways to do it. http://www.annsartgallery.com/tutdem.html is the way I do it.

JanP ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2001 at 5:11 PM

Are there DEMS, of the moon available? Preferably free. I haven't seen anything mentioned at the USGS site. I know I could "fake it" using a hi res grayscale of the moon but that is still too pixelated. Or does any body know where to get a 3D representation of the moon surface. One good enough for cameras near the surface? Pete

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.