Thu, Sep 19, 3:06 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: Skin Shaders

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Sat, 06 August 2005 at 9:13 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 7:48 AM

While I am waiting for a multi hour render to test this out, I thought I would ask about the face off type skin shaders. I just applied the unimesh shader to a figure in Poser 6 and it drasticly affected the texture when imported into vue 5I. The effect added a lot of specularity to the skin textures and was useless in standard light, but in Global illumination with no other lights on, it seems (to early for comparisons - each render is taking a couple of hours) to have made a very striking difference. It does modify the texture map that Vue 5 imports there is no question of that, now can this modification be made usefull? Many of us have been stuggling within Vue to tweek the settings on the skin to achive more realism and maybe some sub surface scattering effect, perhaps there is a way to tweek face off's settings to apply these modificatoins all at once BEFORE we save in Poser and import into Vue. I will post examples if this project ever finishes, thanks for any insight you may have. I know that Vue does not "support" the skin shaders from Poser but when you export the figure using Vue import it has an effect if you have added a skin shader. Thanks.

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Sat, 06 August 2005 at 10:33 AM

made some revealing test renders but could not really compress them to show here, see my gallery for the images and more explainations.

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 06 August 2005 at 12:38 PM

Very interesting work. Dave Burdick (dburdick) is working on a realistic skin shader using Vue5I functions. The version in freestuff is looking pretty good already, even when used on an untextured figure. It's got fake SSS and spots/bumps. Maybe not as good as face_offs Poser stuff, but pretty good right now.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Sat, 06 August 2005 at 1:17 PM

yeah I am a big fan of his work and will investigate replicating his results ver soon. Thank you.

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 7:15 AM

Would it be possible to make a toon shader in poser and have it render in vue like a comic toon cel shader look? Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

dburdick ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 12:24 PM

file_281477.jpg

I have developed a fully procedural skin shader (no texture maps) along with a hybrid skin shader (texture maps + procedural imperfections, fake sss) similar to Face Off's Poser Skin Shader. I was planning on selling this on Vue's Cornucopia Store, but with all the problems of Cornucopia, I will wait. The Face Off skin shader will not work in Vue since it is largely based on procedural functions within Poser. Although many of his concepts can be replicated in Vue's own material function editor (e.g. skin imperfections, fake sss, etc). I have posted a simplified version of the skin shader on free stuff but I have since evolved the material quite a bit. Also, I have developed several python scripts which automate the materials along with setting up lights and atmospheric settings for photoreal or pinup style renders. The example shown here is a hybrid render (procedural skin overlayed on texture maps) using a python-driven lighting model.

svdl ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 12:31 PM

Looks very good! I'm very interested in that shader. In my experience, Vue can handle lots of polygons better than it can handle lots of texture maps, it'll be very useful for my multi-figure renders.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.