Sun, Sep 22, 4:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: zygote freebies

qbert ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2001 at 10:57 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 4:33 AM

does anyone know of a place that keeps an archive of the zygote freebies????My computer crased and all the stuuf i've downloaded in the past is gone! help!

ookami ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2001 at 11:59 AM

One word: SOL! Ack, that happened to me too... I was able to get the products that I have bought from Zygote from them, but no freebie stuff. Sucks too. Now I have CD Burner.... BURN... BABY...BURN!

JKeller ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2001 at 11:59 AM

They usually sell the freebie stuff after the period it's free for on CD's or individually. So if it's not in their freebie section right now, it's not free.

ookami ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2001 at 12:06 PM

Actually... truth be said... they DON'T USUALLY sell the freebies. Most of the freebies offered have gone to that create Daz3d in the sky. Occassionally the freebies show up as free downloads with an associated product, and just as rarely they show up in some type of pacakge or by themselves for sale... but mostly they just...um... well... they're gone. I wish it weren't so. I've been a loyal Zygote customer for about 4 years and when my drive crashed I lost a HUGE amount of stuff... including all the freebies. Zygote worked with me to get me copies of everything I had bought (god bless them) but they did not include any freebies. BUT... you might try emailing them and explaining what happened. You never know... they are great people and may help you out... or they may not... it's their perrogative. (sp?) Good luck though... I feel for you!

Anton_Kisiel ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2001 at 1:26 PM

Don't forget taht Daz and Zygote are two different companies now. Zygote isn't in the Poser biz anymore.

ookami ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2001 at 1:30 PM

Zygote will always be the best Poser models company to me, if only in my heart! =)

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2001 at 1:46 PM

I'm sure there are a lot of us who missed freebies too, wonder if they would ever consider doing a repost of the older ones? Just a thought. 8^) Marque

ookami ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2001 at 1:52 PM

Maybe if we signed a petition?

jack the bear ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2001 at 2:01 PM

If someone give a freebies to someoneelse, it's a steal or what ?

wyrwulf ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2001 at 2:35 PM

There is a "no redistribution" clause in the License Agreement for all the freebies from Zygote/Daz3D. Once they are gone from their site as a free download, those of us that have them can't give them to anyone else. They have put quite a few of their freebies up for sale.

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2001 at 4:40 PM

jack, If people start giving them away and Daz finds out it's being done we would probably not have freebies anymore. I look at it like I bought it. Marque

ookami ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2001 at 5:41 PM

Jack, Zygote is VERY specific about the terms of the freebies... they are free for a week. Thereafter, you may not distribute them in any way!

qbert ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2001 at 7:39 PM

I don't feel so bad now, I'm not the only one to lose my stuff.I did have my downloads backed up to a zip disk, but when i tried to restore them it said the disk wasn't readable.I guess I just wasn't meant to have them.If I understand all this correctly though, the reason zygote offered free downloads was to get you to see what else they had to offer, and to do it on a regular basis.It was a great tactic, and it worked well...although I personally don't see the harm in redistributing something that you have given out for years.But what the heck, I've got this cool looking guillotine...thingy...now...to play with.Thanks for the responses...I'm up for that petition :)

artnik ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2001 at 1:28 AM

I'm putting my two cents worth in, again. Check my reply back about to post 52 or 53, somewhere around there. It's titled "A lesson archiving" or something similar,posted by SixPack Wolf,I think. Anyway, all may not be lost. My reply concerns a program called "Recover 98". I keep spreading the word, because its so easy and effective. The company should pay me for all the free PR I'm giving it. It's an application that works! It saved my "you know what" when the disk I had my Poser and Bryce D/L zips on, totally crashed and I thought I'd never recoup my losses. Most of the files hadn't even been unzipped yet. I hope this can help a lot of people. I know it worked for me.

gryffnn ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2001 at 6:47 AM

Hey DAZ - there has to be more than a hundred of those freebies by now. If you packed them together, added a couple new things (maybe a "set" or two, like your stage expanded into a theater with some seats) and sell it cheap - bet that would be a popular product! It wouldn't keep people from stopping by for the new ones, since it will be a couple years before you put out a new compilation. So many of your newer customers have missed the great (mostly) models. Even some of us who have been religiously downloading have missed some and would love to have them all in one place (please with an HTML catalog page with links to the files). Maybe they'd have to go on a CD, though, so guess it couldn't be as cheap as a downloadable file. But how about it?

jack the bear ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2001 at 7:00 AM

great idea, i guess it's must possible to zygote put all models in a CD (one by year or one by category, whatever..) and sell that for a symbolic prize.

ookami ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2001 at 7:38 AM

That is an AWSOME idea!!!

TheWolfWithin ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2001 at 7:58 AM

i know your pain, qbert......i just lost a couple of month's worth of /Zygote/DAZ freebies.......i'll miss the rose and the fountain the most, i think........such is life.......

jack the bear ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2001 at 9:36 AM

may be the better it's mail this ideas to Zygote per exemple jarom@daz3d.com or order adress... and divulge at most of people.

qbert ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2001 at 11:18 AM

Alrighty then, let's get someone from Zygote or DAZ or whoever to look at the thread , anyone who thinks the aformentioned idea to be a good one could just plunk their 2 cents down on the thread! Hopefully I speak for everyone here in saying that we will still be checking the site for the freebies and see all that they have to offer. I am quite sure that any actions taken by zygote /daz would be viewed in a positive light and reaffirm our feelings for their company.

jack the bear ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2001 at 11:54 AM

in not sure i understand all the Qbert speech, if someone can translate in french ? Otherwise i send send a mail to zygote just for see... wait and see.

danfarr ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2001 at 4:41 PM

O.K. the tribe has spoken and we are listening. It is a great idea for us to create a CD with a many of the past freebies. We literally discussed doing just that a few days ago but your comments have pushed us over the top. It will take us a little while to put it all together and get a CD created but we will get going on it as soon as we can. We also want to thank those of you who support our agreement about not passing the models around freely. Also, we will try to do a better job of getting the previously free models available on the store sooner. We are adding new free section to our website that will be a place for communty donated free models. We will have more details comming soon. Thank you all for your comments. Fortunately someone put us on to this thread otherwise we may not have seen it. Please feel free to email directly if we don't respond to threads or questions directed to us. Sincerely, Dan Farr DAZ Productions

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2001 at 5:03 PM

Also, where is the new model?? I bin waitn alllll day!!! lol Marque

gryffnn ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2001 at 9:24 AM

Wow, that was fast!!! You guys are the greatest - may you live long and prosper greatly... NOW, how about more hair styles of Michael Wedge Cut quality - WITH transparency maps and morph targets? Uh, this tribe thing doesn't involve hunting and eating small mammals, does it?

qbert ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2001 at 10:19 AM

Now that's what I'm talking about, way to go DAZ!

qbert ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2001 at 10:20 AM

Sometimes it just pays to speak your mind :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.