Fri, Oct 25, 7:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Which browser???

Zacko ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2005 at 2:58 AM · edited Fri, 25 October 2024 at 7:22 AM

Hiya! Im having a little question...what browser do you guys use? Im currently using IE 6 and im having major issues with it. I always open up all the photos i want to take a peek at in a new window...for efficiency (spellcheck..big word that is for me). And for some stupid reason i have a 5 second-delay before that new window pops up. Its the same with both my computers...sigh. I have a very fast internet-connection and my computer is a P4, 2.8gHz, 1GB RAM...so there has to be a bug somewhere. Have anyone else had the same problems? Or do you recommend another browser? And if you have several browsers...can you just switch between them as you like? Im aware that these kind of questions probably should be asked in a different forum, but i thought i would start here...since the people in here are soooo darn nice and helpful. #;O) Thanks a bunch!!!!

How come we say 'It's colder than hell outside' when isn't it realistically always colder than hell since hell is supposed to be fire and brimstone?

Andreas

Mystic Pic

Onslow ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2005 at 4:30 AM · edited Wed, 17 August 2005 at 4:34 AM

Same performance from IE6 for me since installing SP2. The bug is Windows :D
You can have as many browsers as you like, Windows will act like a spoilt sulking five yr old and ask you a question from its list of annoying questions each time you switch between them, but it could be a price worth paying.
I use IE (& Firefox) because they are the most functional of all of them though the others are getting much better. All web pages should open with all browsers, but well some just don't as web designers seem to design only for IE.
Good ones to try would be: Firefox or Netscape8 (imho) they are very good, and offer tagged browsing which is very neat :)
I've not come across any, except IE, which will take a spell checker plug in.

A search will find you the web sites to download the others, they are very small downloads compared to IE.

Message edited on: 08/17/2005 04:34

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

Zacko ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2005 at 4:49 AM

Oooh, now that you mention it....i got this annyoing bug after installing SP2 as well. Isnt there some fix for it???

How come we say 'It's colder than hell outside' when isn't it realistically always colder than hell since hell is supposed to be fire and brimstone?

Andreas

Mystic Pic

Onslow ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2005 at 4:54 AM · edited Wed, 17 August 2005 at 4:56 AM

Not that I know of, you either have the increased security of SP2 or IE explorer opening as it should do but allowing everyone in the world free access to your pc. There is a new IE explorer beta version on the MS web site.

Message edited on: 08/17/2005 04:56

Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear

Zacko ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2005 at 5:05 AM

Thanks, ill check that out for sure. #:O)

Andreas

Mystic Pic

zahnfee ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2005 at 7:23 AM

A very fast and more secure browser than IE is Opera. Opera can also 'pretend' to be IE or Netscape. It's a bit more like IE (in regards to scripting and CSS) than Netscape, so you should almost have no problems with the display of different websites. But sometimes you just have to use IE, because some of the website programmers just don't care about cross browser programming. Nevertheless my favorite browser is Netscape.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2005 at 8:06 AM

Well, not sure what's going on with your system but I have Photoshop CS2 minimized, Outlook open, Calltrak (our service ticket program), Total Commander, EE Quickpost (for experts exchange), and, of course, this browser loaded (IE 6 with latest updates and SP2). I just right-clicked on "Scavenger Hunt" (above) and told it to open in a new window and it was up and finished in less than one second. I'm on a 3.0 Mghz, 1 GB RAM Dell.

DJB ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2005 at 9:38 AM

If you want the best expoerience surfing in here or anywhere Firefox is the way to go. Being able to use tabs at the top of monitor is so much faster. The right click options are much easier to use. I think IE is behind the times now for browsers. Give the new Firefox a try. You will notice the images load a bit different, like cascading down while loading,but they load just as fast. the spell check features and optional tools available are cool. You can even get a colour picker

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

Zacko ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2005 at 9:46 AM

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!! Ill test that one out for sure. By the way, once ive installed it can i still switch back to IE without having to do something silly as formating my harddrive...stupid questions im sure but ill never ventured beyond microsoft before, LOL.

Andreas

Mystic Pic

Onslow ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2005 at 9:56 AM

Does Firefox have a spell check then Doug ? How do I find that? I have the plug in spell check for IE6 but the main reason I use IE still is the spell check. Yeah Zacko you can have Firefox and IE no problems I have both.

Edward Lear

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2005 at 10:09 AM

Firefox and Opera are neat, but I'm runing OSX 10.3 so I'm using Safari most of the time. 99% of the time it works great, but occasionally there are issue. Still, pretty fast and mostly stable = works for me!

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2005 at 10:10 AM

I also sometimes use Camino for the Mac. A nice, very fast little browser. Very stable too.

3DGuy ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2005 at 11:05 AM

Mozilla for me all the way.

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

Zacko ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2005 at 2:18 PM

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU DOUG!!!! I have now installed that Firefox and no way in hell im ever going back to IE!!! I loooove that stacking-feature, definitly comes in handy as youre browsing the gallery. Thanks for the tip!!!!! #:O)

Andreas

Mystic Pic

Kristanene ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2005 at 2:28 PM

Yep, lol everyone already knows exactly what I was going to tell you. I use IE for just idle browsing when I'm bored, but if I want to use the net while I'm also using Photoshop or something like that, we have Firefox. Kinda neat to know other people use it too. My husband loves it because he likes to open up like a million pages at once and they're all in convenient little tabs at the top of the one window with Firefox.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2005 at 2:57 PM

Safari has a tabs feature too, but I have yet to use it. Perhaps I should check it out...

DJB ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2005 at 9:00 PM

Yes you can switch back and forth....no formatting. On the Firefox homepage you can get all the ad ons. I have webster dictionary and the colour dropper. But there is more. Only thing is you have to remember to use the spell checker in these forms.All it takes is a right clikc ...spellcheck. could not be easier. I always have about 6 -8 tabs open.Soooo cool having them on top. Also most government agencies will not let employees use IE anymore.Just way too many issues with Micro$oft.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

Kristanene ( ) posted Thu, 18 August 2005 at 11:35 AM

I can see why..it's definitely buggy. My husband also downloaded the little add-on for us here in the US (I know not everyone in the forum lives here, but this is still kinda funny) that shows the little color-coded terrorism alert down in the corner..I forget exactly how it goes, but like yellow is "kinda scared", orange is something like "really scared", and red is something like "Oh Shit!". Of course, we don't make light of the actual event, but come on, did we really have to color code it?? :-)

Margana ( ) posted Sun, 21 August 2005 at 11:20 AM

Yeah.I have Mozilla Firefox,too.It's sooo much better.I always had problems with IE.LOL!@Kristanene.I'm in New York,so ours is ALWAYS orange.So what's the point of that?And if something actually was 'happening' who's going to pay attention to those silly color codes!

Marlene <")

Marlene S. Piskin Photography
My Blog

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression. The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.