Sun, Sep 22, 1:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Another everyday thing

Jack Casement ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2001 at 4:16 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 11:48 PM

file_150320.jpg

Colm, You are absolutely right when you say that there are photographs to be taken if we just open our eyes. This is a very mundane subject but I spent hours and many rolls of film over many days to get the picture I wanted. The problem was that I was doing it the hard way until someone explained there was an easy way to do it. If anybody is interested I will explain both methods.

Syyd ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2001 at 4:25 PM

Jack, please explain both ways...this in some ways reminds me of some Man Ray work.... Syyd

Jack Casement ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2001 at 4:41 PM

Well I wasted many hours by using water which I collected in a straw and let it run down the clothespeg. The object of the exercise was to try and capture it just before it fell off the bottom of the clothespeg. The problem was it was so uncertain and usually I pressed the shutter too late. The easy way to do it was that instead of using water was to use glycerine (not nitro glycerine). This is because it is so much thicker and will slowly build up at the bottom of the clothespeg before dropping off. Now you know.

leighp1 ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2001 at 5:07 PM

What a great idea....I love the effect you captured too. Oh I hope one day to be half as great as some of you here!!

Colm_Jackson ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2001 at 5:19 PM

Wonderfull Jack... Is that a starburst filter or are they computer generated?

henriqueaguiar ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2001 at 8:50 PM

Wow, this is beautiful...I love it!Wonderful!

Jack Casement ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 3:43 AM

Glad you all seemed to approve of my clothespeg. I feel that some more tuition is called for so here goes. I set up my camera (Nikon F3) on a tripod and pointed it towards the sun. I then used a piece of black art paper to hide my backyard, but positioned it just so the the sun would hit the droplets on the line but not shine into the lens. As for the starburst effect, no I didn't use a filter. This is a natural phenomena(?)that occurs within the camera when you stop the lens down to F16 or F32. Hope this helps.

Syyd ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 5:59 AM

YEs this does help.....I feel that what you are doing is far beyond anything I know, and it it makes me want to experiment. Jack, who are some of your favorite photographers? Syyd

Jack Casement ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 9:19 AM

Actually Sydd I am more inspired by painters although I have to admit to a sneaking admiration for Ansel Adams landscapes and Karsh of Ottawa's portraits (but then I bet you guessed that.) Dali was the greatest and most unique for the surreal images but David Shepherds Africa paintings make me green with envy. Speaking of which check out my latest posting which I am just about to upload.

RodolfoCiminelli ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 12:17 PM

Jack this is only to congratulate him, I find very interesting the form in that you took the picture and we see that not everything is use of filters of Photoshop, I believe personally that it is a fantastic program although or I don't have it, the experimentation for non electronic means is also valid.

Gwyn Tyger ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 1:36 PM

this is a great picture. I love the sun in the water drops and the detail of the clothespin. the picture is perfect and needs no suggestions for improvement.

stefbois ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2001 at 7:51 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Y&Artist=stefbois

Really nice and thanks for the glyceryne trick ill use it very often....gee ill be easyer to me.... Because i do carry a sprayer and i am tryng to start a small study on the effect of water on it various state ofver thing...shadow ,ligth effect...but it whas so complicated and delicate to do that i whas prefering to look for the proper weather condition to appear....Morning frost in spider web or over grass...like the one in my page... thanks again for the trick ....

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.