Sun, Sep 22, 1:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Black & White vs. Color

Gwyn Tyger ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 9:35 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 1:29 AM

file_150371.jpg

i've been taking all my pics of late in color. i find it easier to convert to pic to B&W at the scanner or computer then go thru all the trouble of try to get b&w processed and developed. many color pics can also make good b&w's this way. i will post the color and the b&w of the same pic and solicit your comments

Gwyn Tyger ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 9:39 AM

i'm sorry about the size difference in the scans

Antoonio ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 9:39 AM

...and if you take a color pic, ged rid of color and play with contrast, you can do majic with almost all images. Its our imagination, watching b&w images arouses our imagination much more than watching color ones. Nice pic. Even with colors. ;o) -N

RodolfoCiminelli ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 12:03 PM

To see if I have understood well?, as it seems what you want to make is it to pass a picture in color to B & N, and does he ask if the best method is to make it by means of the scanner, or that another form?. Good I believe that one could make for some program of photographic retouch, but the truth is that it is preferable to have first in undoubtedly it is what wants to be made, the picture color it is a thing and the B & N is other, I say this since in a picture color one search a good game of colors and balanced composition, but when changing the colors they transform in gray that are very insipid in some cases, the B & N on the contrary uses the contrast of white and black going by all the ranges of gray

Jack Casement ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 1:01 PM

My main problem is trying to see the whole image and the download time. What size did you have before uploading the image?. Next time try to limit your size to about 900x600 pixles and set the resolution at 72dpi.

Gwyn Tyger ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 1:33 PM

file_150375.jpg

this is a reposting of the B&W at a little better size

Colm_Jackson ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 2:07 PM

I actually like the color one of the two. But, I think that both images lack contrast and sharpnes... Gary, have you calibrated your moniter? Photoshop has a calibration tool called adobe gamma. On a PC it is located in control panel. I think contrast enhancement would improve your images considerably. If you are using Photoshop, try playing with 'Unsharp Mask' and see if you can get that desired sharpness. Colm...

Gwyn Tyger ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 2:15 PM

i'll try that, thanks

Syyd ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 2:39 PM

I like the color one as well, because there is this softness to it, and you get to see the shading on the rocks in different color greens.....I would love to sit up there on that rock and have my lunch....I think messing around in photoshop could give either or a much more dramatic look. My tendency as you well know is to usually go with b/w I find it expresses more emotion for me sometime....But in this case, I love that color one. Syyd

Marshmallowpie ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 7:21 PM

I can't view these photos as my browser is acting up.. I love B/W photos, like it has already been said here, it appeals more to the imagination. I often use normal colour film, and get it developed without prints, and then print them in the school's darkroom in B/W. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether I use B/W or colour film, but I find that colour film often makes softer grey tones. ~M~

stefbois ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2001 at 7:35 PM

Gwyn have you played with circular polariseer filter... Dammit that it bring more punch to the picture...more precision,more contrast...The distorted ligth remove from the picture you get only the best...I whas taking a lot of nature picture here and there and whasnt able to get punch out of it....whell now i do...It is a shame that affordable numerique lack of lens mounth... To return to your picture i prefere the color one... I dont know if you are actuality thinking like me... I found that to convert a picture in B&W of good crisp contrast the original must be really realy good. I whas use to devloppe b&W to get what i whanted to be well define..Since i did Not really work on the color to b&w very often...it is like there is some punch lost in the process of the conversion....Do you have any trick...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.