Tue, Oct 22, 5:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Clother for V3 users: Opinions please

thefixer ( ) posted Tue, 06 September 2005 at 9:41 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 5:44 AM

I'm thinking of getting this for V3 and although I've read the reviews and such I'd like some more opinions from users and preferably some links to images you've used it on before I make a final decision. Thanx in anticipation. thefixer, poser coord.

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

thefixer ( ) posted Tue, 06 September 2005 at 4:05 PM

Well I guess i've got my answer!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

kenyarb ( ) posted Tue, 06 September 2005 at 4:58 PM

I guess everyone knows that ClotHer/ClotHim is basically a nice GUI for creating "second skin" mats in Poser. You choose a base "nude" texture, you choose several pieces of clothes, it layers 'em in the order you specify, and saves it to pose / mat. The supplied clothes are pretty good quality, certainly better than DAZ's second skin mats. It's good for undergarments. In particular it makes renders very fast, and you don't have to worry about poke throughs. Also the layers feature is nice; you can have an undershirt over underwear. The skin-tight shirts and pants suffer the same problems with any "second skins" mats: pants and shirts are too skin tight, without any offset

svdl ( ) posted Tue, 06 September 2005 at 8:10 PM

I've fiddled around with the demo. It didn't have bump support (let alone displacement), which severely limits its usefulness, especially for P5/P6/D|S users.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 06 September 2005 at 8:57 PM

I think its rather a shame all those wonderful second skin clothes are locked behind 2 $40 programs. It seems to be some nice stuff, and some of it would look good applied to a Mil mapped bodysuit with trans maps and with "loosen" morphs applied.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

Mystic-Nights ( ) posted Tue, 06 September 2005 at 9:27 PM

Here is the link where you can download the Demo and free clothes addons. They also have a gallery of rendered images so you can see what they look like. http://www.clother.zew3d.com/download.htm They also now have free Bump and Colors plugins at the bottom of this page. http://www.zew3d.com/products.htm And Aiko 3 for Clother is free on this page. http://www.zew3d.com/support.htm

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 06 September 2005 at 9:32 PM

The amount wanted for the base products is what's stopping me. I know they release items for free but seems a bit much to also sell clothing for it. Going to have to learn to do my own skins I guess. Marque

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 1:44 AM

Many thsnx for the input people

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Phantast ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 2:33 AM

It is the biggest rip-off going. The vendor is asking $40 for functionality that already exists in Poser. The whole point of the product is to lock users into buying something that will read the peculiar format the vendor releases his textures in. That way he can advertise his wares by spamming the free stuff section with "freebies" that are supposed to be useless unless you buy his product. In fact, if you download one of these freebies and unpack it carefully, you'll find it can be used in standard Poser. The secret is that the jpgs are disguised by giving them bogus extensions. Personally I think all these second skins are over-rated. They look like paint; they don't look like clothes at all. The principle works for a few things like stockings, but not for shirts and blouses. The pictures in the promo shots for Clother are particularly unconvincing.

marco-xxx ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 5:07 AM

I agree with Phantast... And the spamming of pseudo-freebies the vendor makes is a bit irritating

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 6:27 AM

So how do you unpack them to look at them? Marque

Phantast ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 10:02 AM

There exist utilities that will open a self-extracting archive as if it were a normal zip file.

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 10:48 AM

Thanks found it. Marque

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 11:02 AM

The one I looked at was an installer. At any rate, even if you extract the bitmaps, the EULA requires that you own the program to use them :-)

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 11:46 AM

To be honest I looked at them and they aren't all that. If you want to spend that kind of money that's all well and good, it's your money. I for one won't be paying $80 and then spend more money for addons for it. I wouldn't use the freebies since I don't own the program, I only wanted to see how he did it. I did and then deleted the "freebies". I never intended to use them so please don't get your back up. Thanks, Marque

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 12:23 PM

Ok guys, let's keep it calm, don't want the mods getting on "MY" case for starting a thread that ended in a flame war [rofl]. Thank you all so much for the info and you've helped me make up my mind to spend on something else! Thanx! thefixer, poser coord.

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 12:32 PM · edited Wed, 07 September 2005 at 12:39 PM

Dude, I was just pointing out what the lic. said, not trying to spank you. "don't want the mods getting on "MY" case for starting a thread that ended in a flame war [rofl]." Oh the Irony :-)

Message edited on: 09/07/2005 12:39

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 12:44 PM

Yea lmckenzie, It would take a Looooooooonng time to live that one down [rofl]. thefixer, poser coord.

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 2:44 PM

lol not a dude, and I know what the license said. Problem is all it takes is one thread and the next thing you know you're accused of stealing. Just wanted to keep the record straight. 8^) Marque

Lyrra ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 4:11 PM

well as a maker of textures it would be very nice if they would allow other artists to make content for the program ..because frankly .. I'd like to see some of Gorodins or my own work usable in the program. I don't particularly care for any of the stuff they have out, pay or free. From what I've seen they are adding bumpmap support in the new version. But since outside artist support seems unlikely, I'll settle for making partial Shader files (using poserspider) to overlay clothing onto skin textures in poser6 Lyrra

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 4:41 PM

Any good tutorials out there for poserspider? Thanks, Marque

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 8:31 PM

Mea culpa, Madame le dudette. And I will reserve any spanking comments since the morality police here can be as bad as the copyright ones :-)

Phantast ( ) posted Thu, 08 September 2005 at 4:59 AM

Just a reminder that the A in EULA stands for agreement. Agreement is voluntary. The Clother freebies have an installer with a "click this button to accept the agreement" message. The implication is that if you don't click the button, you don't accept the agreement. This is why you need to unpack the file. You are then free of any agreement. This must be true, or there would be no need for the "I accept" button in the first place. I leave it to the individual to judge for themselves the morality. In this case I don't have any sympathy for the vendor for spamming the freestuff area with what are essentially free ads. I certainly don't recommend unpacking these freebies and using them without Clother; but I wouldn't recommend them if they were truly free and had no intended restrictions.

elizabyte ( ) posted Thu, 08 September 2005 at 5:53 AM

I think its rather a shame all those wonderful second skin clothes are locked behind 2 $40 programs. I agree. I'd buy some of the second skins, as they look quite nice, but having to buy the program to do what I can do in Photoshop (i.e., overlay on a texture) seems kinda... dumb. Just a reminder that the A in EULA stands for agreement. Yes, that's the other thing. I don't like their EULA, and I don't like the way they treated some other merchants who wanted to make second skins for use in the software. bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 09 September 2005 at 12:51 AM

Well, it's a clever technique, nothing wrong with that. I too find the freestuff items annoying but before DAZ Studio, just about every free Poser item required you to buy Poser to be useful. There are also plenty of textures, morphs etc. that require you to purchase the base item to use. It may be irritating but it's certainly not beyond the pale, just the way that person want's to do business. Like some, I don't see what the great appeal is but obviously their customers feel differently. C'est la vie.

wolf2001 ( ) posted Mon, 19 September 2005 at 9:18 AM

Hi everyone.

I know it is not an answer for main topic but I read all posts and some of its realy shocked me. I can't stand it and I must say few words.

Dear Phantast,
you said: "Just a reminder that the A in EULA stands for agreement. Agreement is voluntary. The Clother freebies have an installer with a "click this button to accept the agreement" message. The implication is that if you don't click the button, you don't accept the agreement. This is why you need to unpack the file. You are then free of any agreement. This must be true, or there would be no need for the "I accept" button in the first place."

Your implication is absolutely not right.
Stealing is stealing now matter how you steal.
If product (doesn't matter if it is free add-on) contains license agreement this license stand even if you didn't read it.
Read license carefull and you will find out that these free add-ons are meant only for CLOTHER/HIM users.
Decompiling exe file violate copyright law (even if it is free add-on).
I am realy surprise that you didn't know that, it is absolutely obvious.
Free add-ons are allowed even if its require comercial products so I do not understand why you think its are spams. It is huge amount of free add-ons for many comercial products. Most free-stuffs here need Poser, clothes for V3 or Photoshop. Despite of that its are still free-stuffs because you do not need to pay for its.

Dear elizabyte,
CLOTHER and CLOTHIM uploaders are available for free somewhere on producent web site, so if you want you can create your own textures and you can sell its or give its away if you wish.
Their EULA is realy standard. I checked many EULAs and almost all of its look similarly. It is legal language and that is why it looks like threat.

Each person here at Renderosity has chance to have fun and/or earn money, I do not understand why you have pretensions that some people don't give its job for free or that they are trying to protect their job from stealing. For some people it is place to work and you should respect it. No-one force you to buy products it is only yours decision.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.