Tue, Oct 22, 2:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Appealing

PeeWee05 ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 6:25 AM ยท edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:36 PM

Okay so can we have a chat as to what is appealing and what isn't. I go shoting my head around everything trying to find a shot the will be appealing to the masses and no luck... Apart from nudity! So is it the composition or the editing or the personal style that gets in the way or is it that ppl just like looking at cat's and flowers? I would love to know what makes a good view to ppl...

Rights Come With Responsibilities VAMP'hotography Website VAMP'hotography Blog

TomDart ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 7:26 AM

PeeWee, I am no art critic but go to a museum and look around.. Some of what is considered the best the museum has to offer is not appealing to the masses! Look at the pictures people buy from home decorators to "put over the couch" for a finishing touch to the decor..generally not what I would call fine art. What I see appealing to the masses is simple things they like, yes, like dogs and cats and flowers and sunsets. I believe if you chase the public you will degrade your work overall, IMO. Now..don't get me wrong, I like dogs, cats, flowers and sunsets..some are well done and some are not. I appreciate the well done ones. Startling news shots and gentle shots of babies are of mass appeal from two opposite directions. Who knows? I would go with what make you happy and perhaps with some influence from the images of fine photographers whose work you like. Anyway, just a thought or two. TomDart.

PeeWee05 ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 8:42 AM

Well that what I think too, but it's amazing how many ppl don't think that way... Me I like the sunsets and very few, flowers, cats and such but when I do they've def gotta be great, awesome POV's or something. I suppose everybody only likes the best of the best...

DJB ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 9:39 AM

I think that we should use the forum more for seeking advice and critique from others on images. Many of the 3 D forums use this way to go from a work in progres to the finished image. There is a subjct out there for every taste. Go with what you like the best and perfect it.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

LostPatrol ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 9:45 AM

Good topic Really I am not sure what is appealing and what isnt, I certainly dont set out to do stuff that appeals to the masses, this is most probably apparent in my photography. For me landscapes/sunsets are the most appealing along with powerful moody imagery. Having a lovely blue sky isnt important (maybe because of where I live) love wide moody landscapes with great sky detail. I like odd and dynamic angles and perspective. Love some of the old architecture, and ruins, derelict buildings can be quite interesting too with the right kind of lighting. Wild life too I like (I dont do much as I dont have the right lenses) and love to see images that are IMO special. Love macro work, again not something I do much of, but want to do more. Good composition is always a winner for me, especially if the composition draws you into the image and makes you think about it, on that note I like images that make you think. Postwork/no postwork, it doesnt matter to me, Im not that bothered how you I or anyone else arrives at the finished image as long as I like it. Nudity can be good if it is what I consider to be artistic, better leave it at that. Not a great fan of cat and dog shots, although some can be very interesting. As for what I do when I am going out to take photographs, I rarely go out with something specifically in mind, and tend to just see what happens/turns up. Much of my modelling work is partly pre planed as well as some ad lib, through ideas about and see where it leads. I have never been one to comply with the norm, and live by the rule, of: they wouldnt have made the cane if you werent meant to break the rules. Like Tom, I look for what appeals to me, weather it is my own work of viewing someone elses, regardless of weather it appeals to the masses or not, is not important to me. I could ramble on all day, but better stop now, would love to have this discussion for real, with other like minded people. Bottom line is, if I wanted to buy/make a picture, I would buy/make one that I liked even if I was the only one in the world that liked it.

The Truth is Out There

LostPatrol ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 9:59 AM

That is a good point and idea Doug. There isnt much of a workflow with my work, its pretty much see something I like/location I like, shoot it. Process it and post it, and on occasion decide if I want to leave it in colour or tone it.

The Truth is Out There

UKmac ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 11:59 PM

Intresting thread... PeeWee, I'm sort of intrested why you would want to shoot for the masses, what are you after. For me, I shoot what I like, usually landscapes. I'm always amazed at what viewers comment on. I put up a series of reflections on the gallery which I realy liked. Only average or below average views and comments for my gallery. Then put up a few shots of Eilan Donan castle, not the greatest castle in Scotland and not the best shots taken, views went through the roof. So what!! I still like my reflection series. So, shoot what you like and enjoy.......enjoy being the key word. LP, good comments. Steve

PeeWee05 ( ) posted Thu, 08 September 2005 at 1:18 AM

It's not so much that I want to shoot for the masses but more that I want more ppl to be interested. I like to do interesting shots POV and colours (I think that's what I've done so far...). When I'm viewing I always go for the posts with the least views to see why exectly no-one is looking and then decide for myself as to whether it is good or not. I know the posts that've got 60 or more views within 3hours of being loaded are obviously good and I'll only look if the thumb looks as if it could be different in terms of POV or something else. I also love commenting on the lesser viewed posts to so the photographer that someone is paying attention and enjoying or not enjoying there work... Sometimes I think the comments are more encouraging than the views... Or maybe my work is just not as good as I think it is???

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.