Thu, Sep 19, 3:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: Vue Image - Book Cover Query

Becco_UK ( ) posted Thu, 08 September 2005 at 10:20 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 3:20 PM

file_290155.jpg

Back in July, 2003 shortly after becoming a Renderosity member I posted an image called 'Lonely' in the Vue Gallery. Someone has recently expressed an interest by email in using the image for a book cover. I have asked for further details and informed the person that a higher resolution would be preferable for print purposes. I have been offered $50 for the image. Perhaps someone with experience on using images for commercial images would kindly let me know if this the going rate for book cover images?

DVcreator ( ) posted Thu, 08 September 2005 at 11:25 PM

Perhaps $50/hour for the creation time for the image. And that is still cheap... Is the Image going to be used as promo, posters, book promo, online image? Should there then be a license fee for the use of the image? How many copies of the book will be printed, and how many different editions/languages? Keep the Copyright and lisence it to the publisher for a term of use or a set number of copies/editions? You have a nice image, ask for a specific size font for the credit of the book cover art and set the value of your art using the terms above. Have an international money order in your hands before you sign a release to allow the use of the image.

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 09 September 2005 at 5:34 AM

I think if the person is self published they probably won't sell many copies so be reasonable and not greedy. Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

DMM ( ) posted Fri, 09 September 2005 at 9:47 AM

Well... it's not a "commissioned" image so it would have existed with or without the offer. Take it, it's free money :D Don't worry about selling it cheap, if it's your first sale (and it sounds like it is) then you want to get your stuff visible for your portfolio. Overpricing it might lose you a sale, and saying to prospective clients "I nearly got a picture on a book cover" isn't nearly as impressive as showing them an image of a book using your work.

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 09 September 2005 at 6:14 PM

Yes, that's putting it very well. After all you're not a well known book cover artist yet. Once you are, I'm sure you'll be able to up your prices. Love esther ps You could ask if they want the pic done differently, eg a lone figure standing in it or something.

Becco_UK ( ) posted Fri, 09 September 2005 at 6:39 PM

Thank you for the helpful replies. I asked the question because I had no wish to undercut people who make a living from producing book covers. I myself have no interest in producing renders specifically for book covers. This was one of those ad-hoc occasions when someone made an enquiry. estherau: I think the image in question was my first VUE4 image at a time when I was getting back into 3D after a few years away from it. I tried a lone figure as you suggest but I felt this was conflicting with the title 'Lonely' because the added person had a tree for company! I have offered to do a render more suited to print with a bit mor tidying up.

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 09 September 2005 at 6:53 PM

heh well u never know - this could be the beginning of a new career for u. love esther ps that's nice of u to fix it up

DVcreator ( ) posted Sat, 10 September 2005 at 6:12 PM

Hey its a good opportunity, if you like the offer take it as a sincere interest in your work. congratulations it is a nice image

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 12 September 2005 at 8:15 PM

And think of this for a minute, you sell your image as a book cover - can you write the cost of the software off your taxes? Just a thought. I do make book covers for ebooks mostly just for fun but they do pay about 75 per job and it really is a lot of fun if you like working on commission.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.